May Self-Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    Went to the park and jogged and walked. Saw critters like little turtles on a log, hawks, various birds, and an inchworm. Didn't have earbuds in the whole time and was able to hear a symphony of birdies singing.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    I was kind to myself today about not making it to the gym
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,031 Member
    Options
    May 9 - Relaxed and actually read a book!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @rheddmobile
    Sorry to hear this. I find if my legs are injured, it’s really hard for me to get significant exercise or cardio, too. Did they suggest any exercise you could do? (I’m looking for ideas!)

Love your toenail polish!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    May 10: crawled into bed early & passed right out! Usually I keep doing things. 9 hours of sleep!!
  • twyla77
    twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Took today off! Woke up & started getting ready for work, felt a bit ‘off’, decided to use one of my ‘Mental Health Days’! Need to listen to my body & mind cues more often, and not feel guilty about missing a day at the office - those Mental Health days are there for a reason!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile
    Sorry to hear this. I find if my legs are injured, it’s really hard for me to get significant exercise or cardio, too. Did they suggest any exercise you could do? (I’m looking for ideas!)

Love your toenail polish!!

I've been walking and stationary biking, and I need to start getting to the gym and try the elliptical, which may work or may not. I'm also going to try straight leg deadlifts and back extensions and see if those hurt my knee - previously the pressure from fluid on my calf was painful, but that has been drained some now. I can also swim, which will be helpful when I housesit for a lady with a pool later this summer.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting in the garden right now. It smells so good! I have honeysuckle on the fence, roses, and a flowering locust tree. I don't encourage locust trees because they propagate by root and break easily in strong winds, and this one grew without my permission, but it smells delicious! My neighbor has irises which I can also smell. The robin which is the parent of the baby responsible for the eggshell I found yesterday is up in the sycamore tree I found the egg under, singing. I can't see the nest because the leaves are too full. There is a red headed finch on the feeder right now, two collared doves and a brown headed cowbird underneath, and a squirrel in the tree trying to figure out how to get down to the feeder without me noticing.

I learned something yesterday! Learning new things is my favorite form of self care. I was outside watching birds and squirrels when a feral cat tried to get one of the squirrels, which ran up the tree and started barking in alarm. I was surprised to see various birds of many species come from the surrounding neighborhood to sit in the same tree and listen, as if they could understand the warning calls. And none of the birds seemed concerned about me, even though I was only a few feet away. So I looked up what is known about squirrel communication, and it's known that squirrels and birds do communicate across species, and their calls are specific to what the threat is. Researchers know enough "squirrel language" to identify the warning call for a threat from the air, such as a hawk, versus a threat from the ground, such as a cat. My guess, based on my own observation, is that the calls seem to be specific enough that the birds knew the squirrel was warning about a cat and not a person, as well. Pretty cool that birds and mammals can "talk" to each other!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    I'm sitting in the garden right now. It smells so good! I have honeysuckle on the fence, roses, and a flowering locust tree. I don't encourage locust trees because they propagate by root and break easily in strong winds, and this one grew without my permission, but it smells delicious! My neighbor has irises which I can also smell. The robin which is the parent of the baby responsible for the eggshell I found yesterday is up in the sycamore tree I found the egg under, singing. I can't see the nest because the leaves are too full. There is a red headed finch on the feeder right now, two collared doves and a brown headed cowbird underneath, and a squirrel in the tree trying to figure out how to get down to the feeder without me noticing.

I learned something yesterday! Learning new things is my favorite form of self care. I was outside watching birds and squirrels when a feral cat tried to get one of the squirrels, which ran up the tree and started barking in alarm. I was surprised to see various birds of many species come from the surrounding neighborhood to sit in the same tree and listen, as if they could understand the warning calls. And none of the birds seemed concerned about me, even though I was only a few feet away. So I looked up what is known about squirrel communication, and it's known that squirrels and birds do communicate across species, and their calls are specific to what the threat is. Researchers know enough "squirrel language" to identify the warning call for a threat from the air, such as a hawk, versus a threat from the ground, such as a cat. My guess, based on my own observation, is that the calls seem to be specific enough that the birds knew the squirrel was warning about a cat and not a person, as well. Pretty cool that birds and mammals can "talk" to each other!

That's amazing ! I'll
    Have to tell my students that story !
  • twyla77
    Options
    Hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @rheddmobile Yes, learning is what makes me happiest and most alive too! Thanks for the reminder!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    May 11: Relaxed, watched a TV show, played a few iPhone games - worked to keep perspective & a positive mental attitude.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Options
    Did a hydro massage today
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    May 12: bought some colorful cooking implements for the kitchen that bring a smile to my face!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Mother's Day- went for two walks to get more steps. Went to the back of our yard and watched the creek rush by. Stood for many minutes and just prayed to God how thankful I am for everything in my life- good and bad. It's all an adventure. Xo
  • twyla77
    Options
    Mother’s Day - had a great day with my mom, and my sister came in from out of town. my sister & i split the new Fitbit Versa for my mom’s present - felt nice to treat her to something she wouldn’t normally spend so much money on!
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Options
    Went shopping for some stuff for the new place