Less Alcohol- May 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    Beautiful evening here in GA. Got up early and drove 45 miles to make my mama breakfast. Love that lady! It's been since June of 2016 that the Lord took my dad. We had a good talk about him and I blurted out that I have been feeling resentful that she had given all the grandchildren and my brothers a personal item that had belonged to my dad, but she hadn't given her daughters anything. I felt ashamed after I did it. I don't need physical items to hold him in my heart, but it was still the truth. It was a good talk. She still hurts too. My eyes are leaking as I type this. If you are reading this, i don't know you, but thank you for reading it.

I feel like I should change my profile name as this is my email address as well...

Aww you should have said something. I lost my dad a few years ago and those thing mean alot.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I had a good weekend although I wasn’t quite as mindful on Friday night as I meant to be... I went back up to the bar for just “one more drink” which should have been water but instead I asked for a half glass of wine, my nod to mindfulness I suppose. But that was after three other glasses and a beer so it was more than I have drank in an evening since January. I didn’t feel miserable Saturday but I didn’t feel great.

Saturday we did our wine walk which is moderate because they spread the stops out so I probably had two glasses of wine total in 4 hours and 15,000 steps! Not a big deal. My kids made me dinner and poured me a glass of wine with it, followed by a second, which was also fine.

Sunday we had a family picnic and nothing tasted good, I tried and discarded a spiked Arnold Palmer, a summer shandy and a glass of wine. I did finish the bottle from the previous night once I got home, stayed up late working and packing for a business trip this week.

So I still feel pretty good about my May - I’m feeling less of a desire to keep my running tally of drinks, I don’t think it’s contributing to my decisions as I know I’m able to moderate mostly and then abstain pretty regularly and effortlessly when I choose to. I am a creature of habit though so I think I will keep tracking it in my nightstand and then revisit the routine in June.

Off to Germany- the beer garden will be visited but I’m facilitating the meetings so I need to be on point all week, hopefully not a lot of temptation to over do it. Happy Belated Mother’s Day! Have a good week!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @WinoGelato, you get to go fun places for business! Have a great trip.

@NovusDies, I like your DM concept. I may try it out, too.

In her blog today Kate at Sober School mentioned “hangziety.” I’d never heard that term but I certainly understood it. Super bad anxiety hits me when I’ve had too much to drink the previous night. I hate it, and I simply will not be able to power through it in my upcoming new teaching job like I could when working by myself at home. The prospect of the job is giving me a welcome dose of extra motivation.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @donimfp Please be careful with your expectations. I have always believed if you want greener grass you have to bring your own fertilizer when you jump to the other side of the fence. I thought a recent new situation would help me and it has but not as much as I would have hoped. I am not trying to be negative at all I just don't want it sneaking up on you at some point... if you know what I mean.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @WinoGelato, you get to go fun places for business! Have a great trip.

@NovusDies, I like your DM concept. I may try it out, too.

In her blog today Kate at Sober School mentioned “hangziety.” I’d never heard that term but I certainly understood it. Super bad anxiety hits me when I’ve had too much to drink the previous night. I hate it, and I simply will not be able to power through it in my upcoming new teaching job like I could when working by myself at home. The prospect of the job is giving me a welcome dose of extra motivation.

"Hangziety" - this is something I have experienced for sure.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @donimfp I was kind of 50/50 on posting it but then I thought it was fairly generic piece of advice. I didn't want to come across as a Debbie downer though.

To me it sounds amazing. I love that kind of thing and appreciate anyone who does it.
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    ^

Thanks.. it was helpful
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Nothing new for me today. Went for two walks and relaxed this evening. Didn't have energy to make tea but drank a lot of water.
    I've had "hangziety" for sure!
    @WinoGelato Sounds like you've got things under control. Mindfulness is the key. Good weekend for you!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    So my kids know I am giving up drinking for now. My son wanted to go to a restaurant on Mother’s Day and told me they had half price margaritas on Mother’s day (not sure why he knew that). I told him I was not drinking and he told me I could cheat. Instead I went to a different location of the same restaurant that does not have a liquor license. We had a nice day but at the end I was a bit beat and my other son was hungry even though we ate at the restaurant at 4 (after having lunch already). I ended up at the grocery store tired and irritated at my son which would have been the perfect reason for wine especially since my son was encouraging me to cheat. I did not even think about it until today. Today is day 18 AF. Feeling better than I have in a long time.

Wonderful! You really stuck to it. 18 days and counting. I'm sure your brain is clearer and less mood swings. Do you feel you handle stress better being AF?
    Happy the margaritas didn't lure you in. Xoxo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I've been cutting back for a few weeks now and am committed to keeping it up through May. We have a new baby at home and it's a bit more stressful than I imagined it would be...the drink tallys were definitely trending higher.

Since I quit smoking about 5 months ago I found that my body regularly craves something starting around 6PM. Before I quit smoking, I would just have a cigarette and call it done. Now that I don't smoke, I found that this craving can be satisfied with either food or drinks. It's very weird.

Either way, my main mechanism to reduce alcohol has been to not let myself have a drink until after dinner. Whereas I really feel like I want a drink before I eat (or while I'm preparing dinner), that desire tends to go away after I've eaten. I'm not sure I understand it, but I'm sure it has something to do with 'depriving' myself on multiple fronts at the same time (smoking, food, and alcohol). My goal is to continue to limit drinks to 2 nights a week and even then to keep those nights at a reasonable 2 drinks or so.

Best of luck everyone.
    Happy Mother's Day! With your new baby around, that must have been a really special day. Xo
    How are you doing with your goals?
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    islandbeez wrote: »
    Well, gang, I have a super positive to report! Since January 20th, when I began stringing AF weeks together, I have lost 15 pounds! I have followed a mostly keto diet for the last 10+ years and I knew the wine was the issue, I just didn't have the desire to leave it behind. SO! Another thank you to @JulieAL1969 for this amazing thread!

That's awesome! I am so happy to be on this journey with you and the others. xoxo