:heart:
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,371 Member
    Options
    B)
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Rye - Eight hour shifts and no breaks?!? That stinks!

Okie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Tricia OH: I followed your link and it sent me to advertising quicksand. I had to restart my computer. Not your fault that they do things like that. :grumble:

Rebecca: Good for you to start going to the gym. I hope it turns out to be a very positive experience. :flowerforyou:

Sue: It is wonderful that you and your DD can support one another with eating choices and ranch work. :star:

We took DH's car in to a local tire shop for a new battery and things went wrong. We ended up having it towed to the VW dealer, and they've finally isolated the problem. We'll pick it up tomorrow. Yay!!! We need two functioning cars so nobody is trapped at home. DH si intrigued with Lisa's recommendation of a Terrain. My guess is that he'll take a closer look after our current car trouble has been put behind us.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,738 Member
    Options
    Been up since 5 am and over 11,000 steps
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Tricia OH: I followed your link and it sent me to advertising quicksand. I had to restart my computer. Not your fault that they do things like that. :grumble:

Rebecca: Good for you to start going to the gym. I hope it turns out to be a very positive experience. :flowerforyou:

Sue: It is wonderful that you and your DD can support one another with eating choices and ranch work. :star:

We took DH's car in to a local tire shop for a new battery and things went wrong. We ended up having it towed to the VW dealer, and they've finally isolated the problem. We'll pick it up tomorrow. Yay!!! We need two functioning cars so nobody is trapped at home. DH si intrigued with Lisa's recommendation of a Terrain. My guess is that he'll take a closer look after our current car trouble has been put behind us.

Katla,my apologies....I seldom send sites for that very reason & have deleted the one I sent....Sorry!

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    Uuuuu
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Karen NY – working from home in my experience is as different as each employer is different. I had one that had a keystroke monitor on my computer and I had to be working the hours they picked…. And one that was if I was on the phone for meetings, and the work was done in a timely manner when I worked did not matter. I will say the most freedom, is working from home for myself! I am a pretty understanding boss.

I would agree with Lisa, it is easy to get sucked into working far more than the 8 hours you are paid for…

Seems like I had something else to say, but can’t think of what!!!!

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

rode again to work:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.49min, 128mhr, 12.3amph. 1.6mi= 66c
    apple watch- 62c
    LATERAL MACHINE- 30min, fat burn program, 113ahr, 129mhr, 54arpm, 59aw, 3.35mi= 202c
    apple watch- 180c
    bike ride gym 2 sumn sta- 51.14min, 120ahr, 147mhr, 13.9amph, 11.9mi= 456c
    apple watch- 473c
    jog sumn sta 2 wk- 5.03min, 148mhr, 133ahr, 9.41min mi, .5mi= 60c
    apple watch- 68c
    jog wk 2 sumn sta- 3.50min, 8.28min mi, 123agr, 153mhr, .4mi= 70c
    apple watch- 60c
    Bike ride dome 2 hm- WINDY!!18.54min, 8.2amph, 144mhr, 2.5mi= 181c
    apple watch- 143c

total cal 1035
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Rori - enjoy the Poconos! It's lovely to see you taking advantage of your retirement to pack your days with joy and experiences that feed the heart.

Katla - we had just that experience the other night with a whole chicken. We seldom buy them, because there's just the two of us. It was literally inedible. So, the next morning, I pitched the whole blinking thing in the big pot with lots of water and spices, simmered it all day and turned it into five quart jars of chicken stock. More than made up for the price we paid, as chicken stock is getting expensive, and should be terrific in soups, stews, sauces, using it to cook rice, etc. If I had dogs, I would have cut up the shredded chicken meat and fed it to them, but we just chucked it--all the flavor is now in that stock.

Karen in VA - I've worked from my home for quite a bit of my professional life, and I love it. At some point, I always have to visit the office of whatever firm I'm working for, and find myself frustrated by the chaos and distractions that always seem to arise in offices--and also find myself completely unproductive, I might add. I have a hard time working in office situations, and when I've absolutely had to, end up shutting my door a lot. Things I've had to do in order to be successful at home:
    1. Got a headset for my phone. Over the years, it's morphed from a wired one to a bluetooth, but I have to be able to write notes, usually on the keyboard, and need both hands. Crooking your neck to keep a phone at your ear will do really bad things to your neck very quickly. You're also on the phone much more than in a traditional office to get things done. Headsets make it so much easier.
    2. Spent the money on a good office chair. I'm in it at least nine hours a day, sometimes 12. All kitchen chairs are tall enough that my feet dangle. Not an option for long with my knees.
    3. Had a separate space where, when I'm done, I can shut a door, or go on the other side of a room screen, or whatever it takes, and be done with work. If you don't provide some separation, you're always at work, and risk burning out quickly.
    4. Declined to work at the kitchen table, not because of physical comfort, but because the kitchen and the food are right there, and I was constantly in the refrigerator.
    5. Set the expectation with my co-workers that, at a specific time at least somewhat matching their quitting time, I'm done for the day. I don't answer the phone or answer e-mails after that point.

The benefits of working at home far outweigh the inconveniences. I'm often three or four times as productive as my coworkers. My commute is 30 seconds, from the coffee machine to my office. The only traffic is possibly tripping over Egg the cat. And, since I have a bluetooth and my e-mail routes to my phone as well, if I have to go to the store, I go, without any eyebrows raised as I depart my office. And, honestly, it keeps me out of most of the office gossip, backbiting and drama. I love that, possibly, most of all.

Lisa in Arkansas

Karen: I second everything Lisa has listed here. I would also add that I set a schedule and (mostly) stuck to it. And, a BIG computer monitor for remote meetings and webinars. I was instrumental in creating some telecommuting 'do's and don'ts for our office, because I got tired of being the forgotten one during our large department meetings. I've done both: home and office work. I'd take working from home every time.

Michele: This will be a quick trip = 4 nights. DH gets anxious if we are away from home longer than that. We'll be near Hamlin, PA.

Rori
    packed and ready to fly from Colorado to East Coast
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette & Lisa: Once we get the Passat back from VW I foresee DH taking a close look at the Terrain. :star:

Karen: The biscuits were great. I would call them a success. :star:

Meg: I am delighted to hear that you've found a way to get good sleep. It is essential for everyone to get enough rest so they can meet the challenges of each day and stay healthy. :flowerforyou:

We have had a couple of appliances in our kitchen repaired by a local family owned and operated business and they did a great job. They have not sent us a bill for parts or labor for either appliance, and one of them dates back to before Christmas, so we went in to talk to the office manager. She said the owner, her father-in-law, is not ready to bill us yet. She even called him while we were there. He is almost as old as Methuselah and it is his business so things are done his way. Small towns are quirky and interesting, in my experience. This business is a fine example of quirky.

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Karen: I second everything Lisa has listed here. I would also add that I set a schedule and (mostly) stuck to it. And, a BIG computer monitor for remote meetings and webinars. I was instrumental in creating some telecommuting 'do's and don'ts for our office, because I got tired of being the forgotten one during our large department meetings. I've done both: home and office work. I'd take working from home every time. Rori
    packed and ready to fly from Colorado to East Coast

Rori - enjoy the trip!

Karen in VA: Second what Rori said. I actually use an HDMI cord and hook my laptop up to a 32" flatscreen to be able to push two documents up next to each other, as well as sit at the correct distance to match my glasses strength comfortably. It makes a big difference for my eye strain and fatigue at the end of the day. So used to it, I forget that other people don't. And totally agree with working from home being my first choice. I don't do well with offices anymore, so tend to only look for remote work--but then I've never had a situation like Kim's where my every keystroke is logged. I would NOT like that.

Oh, and I have screaming fast Internet, for which I pay a premium. I can usually write it off as a deduction for my other business pursuits, as a writer.

Lisa in AR
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    megblair1 wrote: »

DD#2 and I are still planning our trip to Colorado to see DH the 2nd weekend in June. I'm getting excited for it! I never get excited in anticipation of anything, so chalk that up to feeling better too! Rori I hope we can catch up!

Well it's nearly 8 pm and I should get some things done around here. Take care all, Meg in hot and sunny Omaha

You are on my calendar, Meg. PM me when you have more details. So glad to hear you are sleeping and feeling better. Stay well, my friend.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Took the deep water class. The plan for tomorrow is to do Debbie Sieber’s Shape It Up DVD.

Lisa – what great tips you gave Karen! They make a lot of sense now that you mention them. Since I’ve never worked from home, these are things I would never have thought of. But someone who’s BTDT really knows, and that’s you.

Looks like it’s raining out. I wish we could get the rest of the mulch down. According to weather.com it wasn’t supposed to start until later in the day. Oh well….. at least the majority of the work is done and hopefully where we put down the mulch it’ll settle some with the rain and we’ll know where to add more.

Got Vince to put up the ceramics on the pergola and go into the room where we have boxes for when we transport the ceramics or buy some. Some of those boxes should be thrown out and I needed him to look at which ones. Unfortunately, he wanted to throw out one that I definitely wanted to keep since it’s a very sturdy box so I just exchanged that one for another one that he wanted to keep (it didn’t even have a top!). Then ceramics at night. I finished one of my seahorses and one of the gals is going to do the eyes and teeth of my mushroom. She has a very steady hand, not like me. I started on my snail. I must be getting better because things seem to be going faster.

Starsub – welcome! You’ve come to a great place for support and motivation. These ladies are awesome

Rebecca – some of the things we do! What our husbands don’t know won’t hurt them.

We bought a whole house generator when we lived in PA. We moved it to NC thinking that there’s more ice here so power lines would probably go down more. Well…most (if not all) of the power lines are beneath ground. In the 10 years we’ve been here, we’ve never used it once. Wonder if it still works? I would think so, it was new when we moved here

Katla – you sure have your share of car problems. Hope everything gets sorted out quickly.

I feel a hot flash coming on. Good thing I have some of those applesauce cups in the freezer, I think I’ll have one.

Rori – when we lived in the Poconos we lived in Stroudsburg.

Michele in NC