WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2018

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I understand your point of view on the texture of skin. I've lost the weight & wish I could get the skin to tighten up like shrink-wrap. So far, I'm not planning to wear any bikinis other than bikini undies. :ohwell:

Machka: Your links to what to do for your loved one with Post Traumatic Stress Amnesia are very interesting. I was left with the feeling that I'd just had some excellent advice. :star:

Lisa: Regarding bikini wearing, I remember a photo of Brigitte Bardot sunbathing topless in France in her old age. She was happy, but NOT pretty. I wear bikini undies all the time because they are comfortable, but nobody other than DH sees me in them. I have a one piece swimsuit but haven't used it in a very long time. I don't like to be cold and wet at the same time. :noway:

Jackie and Rebecca: There are a couple clothing optional beaches along the Columbia River. One is a few miles from here on Sauvie Island. I think there is another east of Portland. You won't find me at either in my altogether. :noway:

Barbie: I don't like my neighbor, either, and she doesn't like me. The Homeowners Association President instructed her to leave my plants alone at my request. Bless him. :heart:

(((Machka))): Sending good thoughts for the people of Tasmania. I would guess that the hospital has generators to give them an uninterruptable power supply & keep them up and running during a situation like this. Even so, it would be a worry. :ohwell:

Yesterday I had an injection to protect me from shingles. I've already been vaccinated but this one is new and supposedly better. It evidently protects against things in addition to shingles, but I haven't a clue what. When I had the shot it didn't hurt me, but my arm is feeling it this morning. I took it in an effort to protect DH who cannot take it for medical reasons. If I were to get shingles, he would be at risk.

YOGA TODAY!!! Yay!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Good morning everyone! My morning is off to a fantastic start! I am down another 8/10 of a pound! Slowly but surely the last 10 pounds will come off! Then that will be my new maintenance number. For those of you not familiar with what I am doing I am trying to do what is called recomposition. Exchanging fat for muscle. I can definitely see that my muscles are more defined I am stronger and can lift a heavier kettle bell. When I lose the rest of this fluff that accumulated because of having to eat around a 10 pound maintenance window in order to increase muscle mass I will take final measurements and pictures to compare to last year at this time. I definitely can already visually see the difference. Getting ready to take Shep to the dog park. Then will come home and swing my kettle bell.

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    1167354yin8tsiepj.gif
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Bathing Suits: I don't own a bathing suit right now, but at some point I'll get another one. The last time I wore a bathing suit my DD and I went to a zoo with a water park. I had my suit on and was walking about and my DD says "Do you know you have a hole in the butt of your bathing suit?". She was so embarrassed. It was just a small one. So, I said to her "If the highlight of someone's day is to see a dime size portion of my butt, then they need a new life". But I did throw away the suit when I got home.

Terry in VT where it is cloudy and will probably rain this afternoon.
  • DebCountsAll
    DebCountsAll Posts: 471 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    He ...
    • has started walking. He is walking with support, he's walking a short distance, and he gets tired easily ... but he is up and walking!
    • is eating and drinking normal meals, and he's hungry.
    • has dexterity in his hands. He can feed himself just fine, and he can write. They mentioned he'd have to relearn all that, but nope ... he's writing.
    • is able to read. He's probably not reading or writing War & Peace just yet, but it's a start.
    • is regaining long-term memories in random chunks here and there.
    • does recognise me now! And recognises/remembers a bunch of other people as well.

Machka in Oz

This is so fantastic! I actually cried with relief a few days ago when your post showed he had executive function. One bite at a time, and things will be different, but there will be a new normal. Normal.
  • DebCountsAll
    DebCountsAll Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Machka, SO pleased for you and your husband. Hope for the future is a lovely thing...

On the subject of swimsuits, I wear a swimsuit top (not bikini, but the one with fabric that drapes down to the bikini line) and compression capris to swim. I do not give a hoot what anyone else thinks. If there have been any comments, I never heard them, but I'm kind of oblivious to most of that stuff anyway.

I wear that because, while the top side of my body did pretty well with the weight loss from the gastric bypass (other than my accouterments going from a 42DD to a 34 long), my bottom half looks like a busted can of whomp biscuits. I've learned to live with it--and hadn't worn a bikini since I was 14 anyway. I have no desire to, nor any illusions that I ever will, wear a bikini again. I'm OK with that. Partially because I have no choice, and partially because I prefer being different than the rest.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas

This made me laugh so hard! 34 long...I resemble that remark!
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Over here standard pronunciation is aahmunds. No L. :D

Love Heather, feeling antsy in the UK xxxxxxx

Correct!!

And in case anyone wondered what 100 calories of 'aahumnds' looks like ... :)
    https://www.thekitchn.com/a-visual-guide-to-100-calories-of-nuts-snack-tips-from-the-kitchn-201778

Machka in Oz

Interesting. Although I'd not thought of it before, I also say ah-monds.

But I also prefer filberts to hazelnuts. I had lived years out of the PNW before I realized when people said hazelnuts, they were referring to filberts. Silly people.

And such good news about your husband, Machka. I know he has a long road ahead, but the signs sound encouraging.

Felicia, born and raised Oregonian
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    First for me today, used my spiralizer, had it since last year. Made batch of Quorn bolognese and divided into 3 portions, had one portion with spiralized courgette. Not sure of calories but probably 200 at most.

Managed 3 sets of swings with my heavier KB

MACHKA fantastic news about DH

Kate UK <3
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    RE: Clothing optional

We used to skinny dip at girl scout camp, in the lake, in the dark. I don't know why we thought it was cool, but it was Oregon in the 70s and I saw a lot of naked people routinely.

A couple years ago, my husband was at a work conference in Vegas at one of the resort hotels with a top-optional adult pool. I hung out there because I was on vacation and didn't want to be bothered with kids splashing around. I did undo the straps on my top so I could tan my back without strap lines after, but I did not. DID NOT. sunbathe without my top.

So . . . my husband is in a meeting with all of his co-workers and he mentioned I was at the adult pool, so they asked if I was topless. He said, "Hmm. I don't know. Maybe." WHAT??? I was so mad at him. I didn't like his co-workers imagining me laying out there with no top. I'm still horrified. :angry:

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    I stopped down to my place and put out the umbrella , and lowered the lock to early I am hoping I can fix it.. I emailed them to see what can be done..
    have to go pick kitty up at 4:45
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Good Morning from NJ Ladies!

Rebecca, my state is one of very few here that has a nude beach. It's owned by the feds so the state can't shut it down. I go there once every year. We start with a few mile run (clothed), then spend the rest of the time on the beach. This is the first year I'll be fairly happy with my birthday suit. But it is a truism that no one there cares what anyone looks like.

Kay, it's a rare find someone who is in your shoes and can empathize fully. Glad you got that gift. And your new hair!

Exermom--lol on the ceramic mushrooms! It's really quite a feat getting to learn about the women on this very active board. I'll certainly remember your mushrooms now!

Nothing new here, gym, trying not to overeat, waiting for 5:00 Friday.

Jackie

Jackie, good on ya!!! My Norwegian Momma used to always say that with awesome stuff we girls did in life!
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Rebecca I totally would be comfortable in a clothing optional environment. But not my DH.

Interesting story... my first DH and I went to the island of Hawaii as an attempt at reconciliation. (He thought he could buy me back!). While there two things we did will forever be etched in my mind. I walked along the top of the very dam volcano that is erupting now think it was ready to blow b/c I could see the lava bubbling. And second we went to a nudist beach where we could see the lava flowing into the ocean. I got the worse sunburn ever! Lol but felt completely at ease. My DH however was very self conscious but tried to hide it the whole time! ;) I was given a hand made hat from an old man on the very same beach who sat there and made them out of palm leaves.

RV Rita in New Mexico

Awe, I think it took me about 5 minutes to get used to it, at the resort the first day! So all 5 of the Gossett clan are at the pool, and we met this nice older couple that sat in the lounge chairs in front of us. So he asked me how long we had been members. I stated this was our first time. He goes, " oh what other resorts have you visited "? I said, "no, this is our first, FIRST time today"! He replied, "oh, you look like a natural"! Hmm I didn't know if I should be offended or proud with that! Haahaa!
    Oh when we attended the resort we brought so much fun lotion!! We were diligent with applying lotion head to toe with the boys.
    Early on, some crazy lady reported Lee to the office for applying lotion on our youngest too much! She didn't last long at the resort, because she also had asked me if I would share my husband! I was like, excuse me??? No he is mine, and I won't share. I told Lee and he reported her to the office! I think she reported Lee because her feelings got hurt and she wanted payback. Crazy, crazy.
    I have only been to a topless beach in Thailand. A bunch of the Navy wives met the ship there. There are not a lot of nudist places here in Washington! Haahaa! Go figure!
    Rebecca
  • lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    Options
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Machka, thanks for the links. I read them and they gave a good idea of what's going on with your husband. Hope he can pass his Westmead test soon. It's so good to hear of his ongoing progress!

I can't really think of any good reason to walk around naked in front of strangers. But I will wear a bikini. Here in NZ, the fashion is a pair of swimming shorts with a bikini top and I'm cool with that. Penny, how 'bout posting a pic of your Indian swimsuit? LOL. I love Bollywood. I am about to buy some curled up toe slippers to go with my Arabian horse fantasy outfit for a future photo shoot. Indians know how to bling it up!

Lanette, $40USA per queen, I think I should move back home and make queens there! By home, I mean Montana where my heart resides...however, I might just consider an Arizona/Montana split. LOL Become a snowbird. Ah, dreams are free. I would never abandon any of my furr family. The only way I'd fly away is with a whole bunch of them in tow. LOL

Okay, my cup of chocolate is done so I am heading out to feed the fanimals and then put my running shoes on and grab my latest audio book (14) and head for the forest and my long run. I so look forward to it.
    <3 Wendy
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options