WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2018

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Rye- thanks! I guess I am a perfectionist! I want to be able to wear a two-piece swimsuit without being self-conscious. Which I am doing now! Not so much a perfectionist but introvert. I am so self-conscious about my body and what others think. Probably from being bullied as a child. I also feel like I'm wearing clothes into the swimming pool if I wear my grandma swimsuit. Which I do wear around the grandkids!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :bigsmile:

Karen in VA: I consider myself a Master Gardener in mind and knowledge, but haven't taken any additional training in quite a few years. I no longer qualify to advise others under the banner of Master Gardener. I would need to take another course after all this time to refresh my knowledge and find out current best practices. I am skilled and knowledgeable with my own plants, and expect to be respected on their care and handling. :flowerforyou: (I did ask my pushy neighbor to take a course with me last January, but she didn't even reply.)

Barbie: Your Mother's Day gift looks just right. Your tulips are exceptional. :star:

Rye: Thanks for the support regarding my unpleasant neighbor. It feels good to have your support. :flowerforyou:

I've been notified that there is a new shingles vaccination available and will be leaving to get the first of two shots. The second one comes after a few months as I understand it. DH and I are both in the generation before vaccines and we both had chicken pox as kids. He can't have the new vaccine due to health issues, so I want to take it for my own sake and his protection.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    <3
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi all you beautiful ladies,

Barbie, love the mother’s day gift.

Beth, must feel good to have your boy home. My DD is on her last semester and internship then she will have her Associates. She has been living with us while in school. She wants to go on for her Bachelors but it is so expensive that she hopes that when she graduates she will find work at a place that will pay for her classes.

Rye, hope you don’t get bit too bad by the mosquitos. I never heard of anyone having such a strong reaction.

Geri, welcome back. I didn’t know you from before so I look forward to learning more about you. I’m sorry you had an episode of depression. I’ve been on antidepressants for years. Every time I try to come off of them I hit bottom again. Hope your husband heals quickly.

Heather, You did a good job raising those sons of yours. Glad you are close.

Rita, 110! I’d die. I don’t tolerate the heat well at all. I went shopping this weekend and the whole back of my hair I could have wrung out!

Evelyn, keep going girl. Good job not grazing. I’m a grazer too and once I get going I can’t stop. You have been doing well and body weight fluctuates daily.

The only house plant I have is a Christmas cactus which I have had for years. I am hoping that once the porch is painted I can get some plants. Got to be hardy and idiot proof as I have no green thumb.

Nice day again today and warmer at 75. Suppose to cool down toward the weekend.

Terry in VT on her 3rd day of tracking.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,956 Member
    Options
    :)
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Sigh. I am very much a mosquito magnet and when they bite me I get very bad reactions. A white bump in center at least quarter size and red inflamed area about the size of a baseball.

There is a mosquito in my bedroom.

I have three very uncomfortable itchy bites, I’m now trying to sleep on my living room sofa. I’m getting hot flashes and the living room doesn’t have a ceiling fan, and my husband is cranky and watching TV loudly in the next room.

Sigh.

They love me too! It's our blood, we can't help it.... When I had bites really bad my mom would take her fingernail and make an X with her nail in the center of the bite. I think she spit on her finger first!! Haahaa! Then she took a baby aspirin and attached it via a bandaid! Voila! By the next day it was healed though!
    Rebecca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,709 Member
    Options
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Rye- thanks! I guess I am a perfectionist! I want to be able to wear a two-piece swimsuit without being self-conscious. Which I am doing now! Not so much a perfectionist but introvert. I am so self-conscious about my body and what others think. Probably from being bullied as a child. I also feel like I'm wearing clothes into the swimming pool if I wear my grandma swimsuit. Which I do wear around the grandkids!

You my dear friend need to visit a nudey resort!! Not because I'm saying "if you got it you flaunt it" kind of thing, but amazingly enough with all the skin about, people just don't care what you look like. It's not about being nude, it's about shedding self doubts, and just walking in the sun. For me, being an obese person I did make sense there, and for the first time, the (what I called them) beautiful people of the world listened to what I had to say. My first beautiful friend was Candice, and I remember thinking, 'is she talking to me to be polite"? Then the next time she hugged me, and we hung out, ( literally) together just lying on lounge chairs and telling our lives stories. It was definitely a mind shift from only having friends that were like me in body. So I guess I stepped out of my comfort zone in more ways than one. There ya go all, your nudist story for the week!
    Rebecca
  • Katla49
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I just took a new shingles vaccination. I had one years ago, but they've developed an improved version. I may never need it, but I took the vaccination to protect DH as much as myself. Shingles can be contagious and he has more than enough health problems. I don't want to be the person to cause one more problem for him. :heart: (Anyone who has ever had chicken pox is at risk for shingles. Both of us have had chicken pox and have similar scars in our eyebrows.)

I hope we never face shingles. It is reputedly very painful.

Katla
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I just took a new shingles vaccination. I had one years ago, but they've developed an improved version. I may never need it, but I took the vaccination to protect DH as much as myself. Shingles can be contagious and he has more than enough health problems. I don't want to be the person to cause one more problem for him. :heart: (Anyone who has ever had chicken pox is at risk for shingles. Both of us have had chicken pox and have similar scars in our eyebrows.)

I hope we never face shingles. It is reputedly very painful.

Katla

Good call, Katla. My husband got the vaccination, as well. I am forbidden.

Shingles is very painful; my then 15 year old son was diagnosed with shingles the day before we moved cross country. :cry: It was horrible. When we told people he had shingles and they were shocked, my response was, "Yes. My 15 year old son is a 70 year old man!" Once the pain let up a little, my son's humor returned, and he would wake up in the morning, walk with his hand in the small of his back, kind of hunched over, and in his best old man impersonation say, "The old rheumatism is acting up again." :love:

His back is still scarred.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Heather- my nephew is going to be getting married just outside of Paris this August. Wondering if you know anything about the place where they are having their wedding.

http://www.essendieras.fr

Rebecca - I don't know if I could do that! Even when I wear my two piece swimsuit I have to make sure that it covers everything up even my buns! There were too many girl bullies that did a lot of damage to me starting in kindergarten.

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Mary - I don't know the venue, but, looking at the link, it is nowhere near Paris!!! It is in the Dordogne, in the south west of France. Are you thinking of going? It looks beautiful. The Dordogne is an area I know well. A lot of English people holiday there, or have second homes. It is lovely countryside.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Mary & Heather ~ What a beautiful, beautiful place.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Heather - I think my sister might have said Paris just because everybody would know where that is. She did say it was 4 1/2 hours from there. At this point I am not planning on going. I'm not much for flying! Thanks for the information!
  • Katla49
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Mary: "Rebecca - I don't know if I could do that! Even when I wear my two piece swimsuit I have to make sure that it covers everything up even my buns! There were too many girl bullies that did a lot of damage to me starting in kindergarten."

You are such a beauty now, Mary. You're also strong, healthy and kind. :heart: I wonder whether those mean girls ever got any nicer or whether they're now mean old women. My obnoxious neighbor is a mean old woman and I'll bet she was the meanest girl in school back when. :devil:

Last night I had a bad time during part of a city committee meeting and complained about furniture that prevented me from seeing an overhead presentation clearly. I should have ignored it and kept quiet. I actually could have stayed in another seat and would have had no trouble at all. I went home embarrassed. :embarassed: Today I met with the planning director and talked it through. I think we're on a good page now, and I'm glad I went in today. :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Oops. I did not realize that my dress is just lace for part of the waist. Good thing I am as pale as my dress is! And that I'm wearing a sweater to cover it up.
    ktq6xkdiiyic.jpg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I think it would be 4 1/2 hours by fast train! There are nearer airports.
    Many years ago we used to do the long drive from the ferry. Took a couple or more days before the motorway. Trying to keep two small children happy. All our camping equipment in the back. Or we used to stay in primitive cottages. But I loved the area.
    When DH and I first met we did think of buying a second home in that area, or just south of there. After another visit we decided against it. It had become a bit too touristy.
    Anyone who would like to vicariously visit the area can read the detective series set there, featuring Bruno, Chief of Police. By Martin Walker. Great fun! We have just finished the most recent one. :D Lots of food and thrills.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • coastalgosgal
    edited May 2018
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Heather- my nephew is going to be getting married just outside of Paris this August. Wondering if you know anything about the place where they are having their wedding.

http://www.essendieras.fr

Rebecca - I don't know if I could do that! Even when I wear my two piece swimsuit I have to make sure that it covers everything up even my buns! There were too many girl bullies that did a lot of damage to me starting in kindergarten.

<3

Mary from Arizona

Aww Mary, those dang bullies! I'm sorry they were mean to you! Hey, you reap what you sow, so they will get their dues! Nothing but light and love when I ponder Mary from Arizona!
    Rebecca