Less Alcohol- May 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    There's something that I've been wanting to share with you all for the last 4 days. Friday night, I saw the Alcohol Devil. Yes, I did. Sure as anything.
    After our long stressful week at work, we (co-workers) went for a late lunch at 4 pm. To call it a day. Most had alcohol. I did too. 3 low cal/alc beers which I'm ok with. Some people ate and drank and then left in a reasonable amount of time. There were several guys that were still hanging out deciding on having another. I was finishing up and asking for my check, so I still had enough time to witness everything. We were all talking and laughing. The young man across from me at the beginning of the night was saying how he needed to get home to his wife as they were going away for the weekend (he was adamant at that point). The guys finished their drinks and then they were deciding if they needed/wanted another. The young man was the other two guys' ride. "Do you want another?" "It's up to you, you're our ride." ... and back and forth. This is where it gets freaky. I almost saw the A.D. lean his arm around the young man's shoulders and whisper into his ear. I could see the internal struggle on the young man's face. And then his whole body did a slump of resign, and he said, "yeah, let's have another", quietly.
    I couldn't watch anymore. I had to go. I felt like the A.D. had claimed another. And the self realization part was, how many times had that been me when I was younger? And maybe not in a bar, but more recently?

This thread has helped me to open my eyes. I feel like a veil has lifted and I can see things more clearly. I may not always be able to control them, but I am definitely more aware.

This is really interesting observation. It is the alcohol devil in disguise who whispers in our ears. The other man knew he should go home to his wife. But instead he stayed too long and probably had a headache and missed the fun of packing with is wife and getting ready. I love your storytelling because I could picture it in my mind.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    epetgrave wrote: »
    Hello! I’m starting late but starting my moderation journey as well. Planning to stick to only F, Sat and Sun for weight loss and over all health.

Welcome! There are many different shades of moderation here and you will fit right in.
  • RubyRed427
    jecky74 wrote: »
    26 days AF. I am trying for 30 days and last night was really difficult. Went out to dinner for date night and on the way there I knew I was feeling tempted. I told my husband I was feeling tempted and explained that some of the people in the group just moderate and next thing I knew I almost had myself talked into having a drink. But when the waitress asked if we would like a beer or a margarita I asked for an iced tea. I am too close to 30 to have to start over now.

Bravo!!! You can do it! It will fill you with such pride. So happy you asked for tea.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    @JenT304, consider that prayer sent! It's crazy how things can hit all at once. I hope your trip to CA offers some opportunity for at least a bit of relaxation with your daughter.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    My week: My MIL was diagnosed with bone cancer. We are about to put our house on the market. We have already purchased another home and go to settlement June 7. My youngest daughter summoned us to California (we live in Maryland) as she is about to move to London and we will fly there tomorrow. My oldest daughter is here, is 9 months pregnant and has a toddler, and needs us too. I would appreciate any that pray to ask, "please offer Jennifer some relief from her stress." Thank you, my friends.

Done
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    @donimfp Thank you. I do hope it is somewhat relaxing and I can put the rest on the back burner for a couple of days.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    @JenT304 What a day! Prayers are heading your way.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    My week: My MIL was diagnosed with bone cancer. We are about to put our house on the market. We have already purchased another home and go to settlement June 7. My youngest daughter summoned us to California (we live in Maryland) as she is about to move to London and we will fly there tomorrow. My oldest daughter is here, is 9 months pregnant and has a toddler, and needs us too. I would appreciate any that pray to ask, "please offer Jennifer some relief from her stress." Thank you, my friends.

You have it my friend. Take care of yourself the best that you can. xo
  • RubyRed427
    @Annalee82_ Thanks for your input. So happy for your ten years. Xo
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    @donimfp Thank you. I do hope it is somewhat relaxing and I can put the rest on the back burner for a couple of days.

Hugs, prayers, good vibes, all of it sent your way. It never rains, but pours....