<3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Rye - Eight hour shifts and no breaks?!? That stinks!

Okie

I agree, but Texas doesn’t.
    :neutral:

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Michele: We've gone without car trouble for years, and suddenly we have trouble. I'd say we've been pretty lucky--except right now. I appreciate your sympathy. Thank you. :star:

Barbie: I've had gardening projects, too, and enjoyed them immensely. I dug up two huge parsley plants and put them in the garbage. I kept the third, also a large one, and put it into a big flowerpot at DH's request so that if our boy dog goes by it doesn't get a shower from him. :noway: My next gardening project is to plant purple pod bush beans. I love them because of the purple color. It makes seeing them to pick them so much easier! They turn green during cooking & taste very good. :wink:

Have a good evening, my friends, and a good day tomorrow.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • ryenday
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Up with a hot flash - Michelle your apple sauce frozen cups sound good - do you just freeze ice cube size servings? I love your frozen grapes, but like them too much to have enough control to only have one or two at a time.

My DH likes the house many degrees cooler than I do for sleeping, I just use an extra cover on my side of the bed to keep warm enough at night. But when I get up every night like this with hot flashes I do appreciate it being so cool! I sure am missing getting good sleep tho!

Sharing some of my recent photo works inside the spoiler tag.
    4o1tsegwvpkl.jpeg6ucxnc28ll94.jpeg

Hoping everyone has a good day. I work 4 hours tonight, then I have off work tomorrow but work all day (8 hours) on Saturday.

Rye in Texas
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Rye, is that 8 hour rule for every job or just certain ones? Remind me never to get a job in Texas. LOL

I plan to "retire" from the office and be self-employed for the rest of my life, God Willing. I will work in our bee business, as needed, but probably most of my hours will be during early spring/summer when the queens are breeding. And I will carry on with my horses though I consider it a Passion, not a business, and my horses would win out in every decision concerning money because what is best for them is more important to me than making money. <3 Wendy
  • ryenday
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Wendy The point is Texas does not have any laws requiring breaks for workers and leaves it up to the businesses to do whatever they want. So certainly a business or industry standard might dictate a break.

Also, a business that has locations in many states often has standardized hours, so if one state requires a break then workers in all states would benefit.

I was shocked when I looked at the Texas labor laws. Everywhere I worked ALWAYS had breaks/lunches and I thought the reason my workplace did not was because different rules probably applied to a non-profit hospital. To my surprise it seems it turns out there are no employee protection laws regarding breaks in this state.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,718 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies~
    I woke up before 5 this morning. with a dog pouncing on me... have a load of laundry in and have the next 2 days off, but have things to do one of them helping my brother at dads house...
    got Alfie out before more rain, we arent having any nice weather for at least a week, we did have a couple of tornado's touch down here in Ct on tuesday, some wild weather for us...have to get my DGD on the bus today and tomorrow.. also have to call the attorney that we hired.. not really doing her job..
    I have to sign up for a test, that I have no training in basically to keep my job..I cant really change jobs until the mortgage goes through,,,
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Wendy The point is Texas does not have any laws requiring breaks for workers and leaves it up to the businesses to do whatever they want. So certainly a business or industry standard might dictate a break.

Also, a business that has locations in many states often has standardized hours, so if one state requires a break then workers in all states would benefit.

I was shocked when I looked at the Texas labor laws. Everywhere I worked ALWAYS had breaks/lunches and I thought the reason my workplace did not was because different rules probably applied to a non-profit hospital. To my surprise it seems it turns out there are no employee protection laws regarding breaks in this state.

This surprises me.

You'd think in this day and age where everyone knows about and is concerned about wellness, ergonomics, good work/life balances, etc. that this would be law in most parts of the world.

M in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Jumping into the workplace laws in the U.S. conversation. Just curious Rye, do they allow you to take a break or meal at your desk? Eight hours with no break is tough! Machka-I thought the U.S. had gotten rid of most of the unfair labor practices. I heard from a friend who is a flight attendant; laws were just recently passed (in the past ten years) that airline pilots are required to have ten hours between shifts (so they can get adequate sleep), but there is no law for flight attendants! She often will have six hours or less between shifts, in strange towns; leaving her and her other attendant co-workers no time or place to sleep! You would think with confrontations between passengers and attendants at an all time high; that airlines would push to make sure their attendants are getting enough time to rest! Sleep-Sleep in priority number one for me. If I don't get a full eight hours, I suffer. So does everyone else around me! As I tell people, "I go to sleep by 9:00, because I get up at 5:00, and I need eight hours to be nice to small people!"

I went and got some of those color swatches for paint. I went to actually purchase the paint, but at the last minute decided to take the paint swatches home to show DH the choices. I am SO glad I did. The blue I originally picked will be FAR too dark on the walls. The store lighting makes it look totally different than the lighting I have at home. So...I will head back and pick a few more in a lighter shade of blue. I do like the medium gray and the blue gray slate that I picked; although, if I go with a lighter blue, I may go a little lighter with the gray for the entryway. But I am sticking with the slate color for my baseboards and window trim. I may also use it on my lower kitchen cupboards. I have been waking up with a sore jaw the past couple of days. I am sure I am clenching my teeth and I am positive it is because of the above choices and work that needs to be done. I start this weekend, pulling off wainscotting and baseboards and painting and repurposing those and a couple of other pieces. I am going to spackle and sand a few walls this weekend also, but I think I will do all of the painting over memorial weekend as I have a long three days to do it in.

Heather-Glad to hear that your talk with DH brought you some peace in regards to the house situation. AMazing what that does to your mindset. <3

Cheri- Texas heat! Yes, my daughter is already complaining about the heat and looking in despair at the summer. So different from Michigan, where we tend to hole up in the winter and are always outside in the summer; opposite for you Texans. I am hoping the heat pushes her to come visit us this summer! A week in the green outdoor, by the big lake!

Marcelyn-loved your dive video! I found myself breathing along with the diver. How exciting! Congrats on the anticipated arrival of #14!

More of you I wanted to respond to; but my mind just blanked on everything else! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Rori waving to you and DH as you fly into the east coast. Enjoy the Poconos, a really lovely place to visit.

Still in the weeds, but stopping in to read all your posts is a grounding a positive step in my day, grateful for you all.

NYKAREN <3<3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,355 Member
    Options
    Rye - regarding the 5:2 fasting, what 2 days do you normally fast (are they the same every week) and do you have preferred meals on those 500 calorie days?

I'm rereading the information you lovely ladies shared with me a couple weeks ago. Getting hooked! B)

Lanette
    Up early in SW WA State

• niskmom
    niskmom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Resolutions for May
    *walk at least 11,742 (bump up weekly)
    *pilates class twice a week
    *run 3 days a week using running app
    *1000 calorie deficit daily
    *no alcohol
    *catch tension, before it triggers bad habits and practice calming habits (open to suggestions)

Molly Saratoga County NY
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • ryenday
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Lanette 5:2 fasting. I started 5:2 on a Tuesday/Thursday schedule but quickly moved to the standard Monday Thursday schedule with a twist. ( I always seem to have a quirk, don’t I?)

I do a fast day or “light day” on Monday and if I find I had a small lunch Tuesday or Wednesday and could just skimp on dinner and light day number two would be completed I often do that. About 1/2 the weeks it works out to Monday/Thursday and 1/2 Monday/whenever.

Also, if holiday or birthday or other special event is on a light day I reschedule light day (like move it to Tuesday/Thursday). I don’t skip.

I don’t eat breakfast so my food is lunch/dinner. When I started I made a lot of soups and froze individual portions. I’d add some protein ( lean chicken for instance) if the soup was a veggie one. But I learned that my typical lunch ( steamed frozen veggies and chicken breast) is under 250 calories if I don’t add sauce - just use some spices. So now most often I do that for lunch and a bowl of oatmeal with 1 TB almond butter at dinner. Sometimes a baked potato ( no butter, just spices or malt vinegar) instead of the oatmeal. My typical light day is between 530 and 540 calories.

It works for me because on a light day I may feel hungry but knowing that I can eat normally the next day I never feel deprived.

There is an active 5:2 group here in MFP if you are interested.

Rye in Texas
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,568 Member
    Options
    megblair1 wrote: »
    Hi friends! Thank you for all my birthday wishes. My birthday was quiet but fun, and DD#2 came for the weekend. She took me to dinner Saturday and brunch on Sunday (well DH did because she was spending his debit card!). But is was wonderful and very nice. I have had the craziest start to the week. Eating today was rough because it was things I could do quickly and tomorrow we are being fed breakfast and lunch at work. We have a morning meeting then we are all dispersing for a service day til 4.

Well I have to tell you I feel awesome these days! I increased my sertraline to 100 both morning and night AND I have been sleeping for the first time really in my life. For a week now I have gotten 8+ hours of uninterrupted sleep!!!!! I haven't even gotten up to the bathroom! OMG I feel like a new woman. And I'm NOT hungry much! It's amazing what sleep will do. I had no idea...literally. I even went to a sleep clinic in college. I have never slept well. I highly recommend it LOL.

DD#2 and I are still planning our trip to Colorado to see DH the 2nd weekend in June. I'm getting excited for it! I never get excited in anticipation of anything, so chalk that up to feeling better too! Rori I hope we can catch up!

Well it's nearly 8 pm and I should get some things done around here. Take care all, Meg in hot and sunny Omaha

Oops- happyyyyy bdayyyyyyyy!!!!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,355 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Lanette 5:2 fasting. I started 5:2 on a Tuesday/Thursday schedule but quickly moved to the standard Monday Thursday schedule with a twist. ( I always seem to have a quirk, don’t I?)

I do a fast day or “light day” on Monday and if I find I had a small lunch Tuesday or Wednesday and could just skimp on dinner and light day number two would be completed I often do that. About 1/2 the weeks it works out to Monday/Thursday and 1/2 Monday/whenever.

Also, if holiday or birthday or other special event is on a light day I reschedule light day (like move it to Tuesday/Thursday). I don’t skip.

I don’t eat breakfast so my food is lunch/dinner. When I started I made a lot of soups and froze individual portions. I’d add some protein ( lean chicken for instance) if the soup was a veggie one. But I learned that my typical lunch ( steamed frozen veggies and chicken breast) is under 250 calories if I don’t add sauce - just use some spices. So now most often I do that for lunch and a bowl of oatmeal with 1 TB almond butter at dinner. Sometimes a baked potato ( no butter, just spices or malt vinegar) instead of the oatmeal. My typical light day is between 530 and 540 calories.

It works for me because on a light day I may feel hungry but knowing that I can eat normally the next day I never feel deprived.

There is an active 5:2 group here in MFP if you are interested.

Rye in Texas

Rye - thank you!! <3 Great information!

I like the idea of oatmeal or potato and almond butter - simple and yummy.

Do you do your SWSY strength training on non-fast days or do you find it doesn't matter?

Lanette