"You're too skinny!" Do others ever make you question your maintenance weight?

Options

Replies

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot. At 5'7" and 135 lbs, I had a BMI of 21 and I could run 10k in 46 minutes. Yet people told me I look sick and need to gain weight! I caved in and gained but I will lose it again
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    mk2fit wrote: »
    5'7" here and last I checked was 118#. Low was 114 and did I get the skinny crap. "I bet you have to run around in the shower just to get wet" Still get it, just ignore it. My doc says I am good.

But you're right at the underweight mark. At 114 you *were* underweight.

I can understand why you're getting those comments.

I don't personally know anyone with a BMI below 20 that seems to be at a healthy weight. While I have experienced some feedback that I am too thin at between 24 and 25 BMI, I don't think the feedback is unwarranted at every weight.

Yup.

20 is what is considered really the bottom for non-Asians. The range extends to 18.5 primarily so that that population, and those who are legitimately small-framed (I'm going to also argue that if you're 5'7", you don't have a small frame) aren't erroneously considered underweight.

My physicians have always been very clear with me that I was not to maintain under 20. I don't necessarily like that advice, but I concede that they have a point.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Maybe someday, if I ever manage to get that far.I Right now tbat "future Sandy's" problem.