Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Natural foods" vs "others"

Options

Replies

• vm007
    vm007 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Well this was a nice learning curve here. Thanks to all who posted.

For people: TLDR

Dosage is the key- unless of course you are deathly allergic to something or have a pre-existing condition to something.
    "Natural" "Unnatural" is only in our heads- we can label things the way we want.
    CICO rules YAY! and moderation is important and individual Macro needs may vary.
  • brassicaceae
    brassicaceae Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Pity you are passing up all that free fertilizer.

For similar reasons I could not get my daughter to eat salad greens from our garden. She preferred the packaged lettuce from the store.

Unfortunately as the recent E. coli outbreak demonstrated, packaged lettuce often also contains "free fertilizer" of sorts, and can be contaminated anywhere from the field to the packaging plant.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I’m getting soft in my old age. I watched the video. It’s Journalist Michael Pollan discussing the McDonald’s potato.

As a natural skeptic I went searching for the other side of the story and I found it.

https://www.cnet.com/news/former-mythbuster-goes-on-mcdonalds-french-fry-fact-finding-hunt/

As for creaveability, even [edited to correct:18] month old infants know that goldfish crackers trump broccoli.

https://www.ted.com/talks/alison_gopnik_what_do_babies_think/up-next
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    nettiklive wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I randomly stumbled on this video today and remembered this thread, I'm sure it'll get woo'd on here but this sums up exactly what I've been trying to say about fast food and junk food and how it's different from natural foods
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1025790800904622&id=276157035868006

Can you please point to where in this thread, or any other, anyone said that there is NO difference between "junk food" (whatever you are defining that as) and natural foods (again, however you define them)? You keep proclaiming that people are saying something that no one is saying, and you've been misrepresenting the context of this thread in others as well.

People were claiming here there's no difference between a homemade burger or potato and McDonald's or frozen Walmart burgers or whatever. There is because production matters.

So mass produced fried potatoes are made from carefully chosen potatoes (which knowledgeable home cooks use, by the way, because it's the perfect potato for fries due to favorable starch content) and then fried, which uses the same amount as deep fried potatoes at home (if not less, because not all home cooks know the perfect temperature for making crispy potatoes and may end up with potatoes that absorb more oil). Is it bad that they make potatoes that taste good to many people? I don't know of a single home cook that wants to deliberately make things that taste bad.

I like Pollan, in general, but I don't like it when he goes on such tangents.

To be fair, Mass produced fries are almost always fried twice with a freeze cycle, because that's how you get crisp tasty fries that aren't too soggy and hold salt well.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I randomly stumbled on this video today and remembered this thread, I'm sure it'll get woo'd on here but this sums up exactly what I've been trying to say about fast food and junk food and how it's different from natural foods

Can you please point to where in this thread, or any other, anyone said that there is NO difference between "junk food" (whatever you are defining that as) and natural foods (again, however you define them)? You keep proclaiming that people are saying something that no one is saying, and you've been misrepresenting the context of this thread in others as well.

People were claiming here there's no difference between a homemade burger or potato and McDonald's or frozen Walmart burgers or whatever. There is because production matters.

So mass produced fried potatoes are made from carefully chosen potatoes (which knowledgeable home cooks use, by the way, because it's the perfect potato for fries due to favorable starch content) and then fried, which uses the same amount as deep fried potatoes at home (if not less, because not all home cooks know the perfect temperature for making crispy potatoes and may end up with potatoes that absorb more oil). Is it bad that they make potatoes that taste good to many people? I don't know of a single home cook that wants to deliberately make things that taste bad.

To be fair, Mass produced fries are almost always fried twice with a freeze cycle, because that's how you get crisp tasty fries that aren't too soggy and hold salt well.

This technique is also available to home cooks (although most of us aren't going to go to the trouble).
  • stanmann571
    Options

This technique is also available to home cooks (although most of us aren't going to go to the trouble).

True, but blast freezers aren't generally available and Nitrogen can get spendy if you use it every time you want fries.

So yeah, probably not going to go through the trouble.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ooh- the island one is a good question. I'm almost curious enough to try to figure that out. You'd have to look more specifically at the macro and micro breakdowns of the peas, beans versus the Big Mac. You would probably be missing some needed amino acids in the peas/beans combo and lower than ideal in fat content; specific vitamins they have/don't have I personally don't know. The Big Macs should have enough fat and protein (with no missing amino acids) to meet minimum requirements. The enriched flour-based bread will have at least the vitamins that historically have been an issue for malnutrition. The sauce is probably tomato-based (either ketchup, or ketchup-based), so at least some vitamin C (albeit maybe not much). Any major health issues from not getting much fiber in the diet would probably be further off in the future versus malnutrition issues. ...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

True, but blast freezers aren't generally available and Nitrogen can get spendy if you use it every time you want fries.

Oh, I didn't think through the blast freezing angle.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

You don't need to freeze them that is done for storage. You blanch them in hot water to remove excess starch, cook them at a low temperature, drain, and then cook them at a high temperature to brown them.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    ooh- the island one is a good question. I'm almost curious enough to try to figure that out. You'd have to look more specifically at the macro and micro breakdowns of the peas, beans versus the Big Mac. You would probably be missing some needed amino acids in the peas/beans combo and lower than ideal in fat content; specific vitamins they have/don't have I personally don't know. The Big Macs should have enough fat and protein (with no missing amino acids) to meet minimum requirements. The enriched flour-based bread will have at least the vitamins that historically have been an issue for malnutrition. The sauce is probably tomato-based (either ketchup, or ketchup-based), so at least some vitamin C (albeit maybe not much). Any major health issues from not getting much fiber in the diet would probably be further off in the future versus malnutrition issues. ...

But Regardless, Team Broccoli carrots dies first- Either from constipation(low fat) or malnutrition, or from blood clots(K)