WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2018

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Heather

"I have nudged just under 140 lbs for the first time since 1990. Only a few ounces, but I'm taking it. :Do:):D In British terms it means I am now in the 9 stone somethings. :laugh: :drinker: Nice to know just before the cruise in a couple of weeks. It feels really good to be fit. I admire my muscles every day! :bigsmile:
    Today I think I might let DH go off to do the big shop and do some kettlebell swings instead. I don't do them often because I have to strap my knee, but I know they are great exercise. "

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx

[/quote]

Wow, great job, Heather, its worth all that extra running. I was 142 in the early 1990s and quite sure I'll never be that low again. But I'm feeling good about working to get to where I'd like to be.

You're an inspiration to the rest of us <3

Janetr OKC
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    I’m back!

Been in a major depression and now pulling out of it and feeling like can be around people again (in-person and on-line). Not out of the woods yet but getting there. Foot still no better and still in the boot even though I’m supposed to wean myself off it. It still hurts when I’m not wearing it. So, I’m getting my mind where it needs to be as I’m sure the dr will be saying the “S” word (surgery) to me when I see him on the 12th. I think that is partly what started me on my downhill spiral; that and my DD struggling to find an internship, which she needs to graduate, and my DH heart and leg numbing issues. Even though I wasn’t popping in, I was thinking of you all.

I’m not even going to try and get caught up with the over 300 posts! So just going to go back about 3 pages and try to catch up.

Rebecca, sound like you are working well with you dr regarding your parathyroid issue. Love the rock too. Your tattoo reminded me of the time I put on fake tattoos all over my body and let my DH find them. It was fun and he was quite surprised. lol ((Hugs))

OregonMother, I’m so happy to hear your OS got a full-time job. Good for him.

Barbie, the picture of the mountain is beautiful and reminds me of the sound of music. I love to travel and see new places. Unfortunately, still working and finances have limited that. I was thinking of trying to become a member of the 251 club of VT. What you have to do is visit each of the 251 towns and cities in the state. Might be fun and DH or DD and I could do day trips.

Michele, I’ve had trigger finger and it is no fun at all! I ended up have surgery, the shot only worked the first time, which fixed it fine.

Janetr, congrats on the 27lbs. WTG girl!

Rye, I’m sorry you are having such a hard time with hot flashes. You know those cloth tubes that are filled with rice and you can put them in the microwave to heat up and put across your shoulders? Maybe you can find one and put it in the freezer for when you have a flash. A would think a cold compress would feel good to you. I’d also put it on my wrists and head. ((Hugs))

Heather, congrats on the weight loss. You are rocking it!

Kelly, I think your knees are trying to tell you something. Give yourself time to recover.

Finally bought a lawnmower yesterday. Good thing as our grass it getting pretty high with all the rain we’ve had recently. Of course it’s supposed to rain all weekend.

Well better get back to work.

Terry recovering in VT

Awe, hugs to you just plain tight sisterly hugs! You have a lot on your plate friend. Figure out what's on there, move it around so your peas don't mess with the peach cobbler! Just decide what you need on there, and what to flick off by the big dog on the floor there. Get the picture....I can paint more ya know!
    Yep the doctor stated that once I have the dye scan done, and the area where the offending one lives, the incision is quite small. He stated I will have more energy. The fact that the parathyroid, when overactive, draws calcium from my bones, that I could get stones in my kidneys is concerning! Not to mention osteoporosis early!
    Smile we love ya!
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Not taking my overactive bladder medicine at night anymore, just because I think my bladder issues are my parathyroid's fault. One of the symptoms I read. The medicines side effect is a dry mouth, and being sleepy, as there is a sleep aid in it. All things I don't want. Now I know there are sprays etc, for dry mouths, but hey it's a symptom of a symptom, so I'm just soldiering thru. Plus it's really nice to wake up clear headed, and my throat not sore!

Katla, yes I feel blessed every day friend! Looking forward to this weekend, when son finally moved in. It will be nice for him to combine his military items along with my husbands! It will be fun to see all his Japanese stuff around the house! I used to have quite a lot of Japanese prints here and there, plus the kids names in Chinese picture writing when we visited Hong Kong. The kids names were bought in San Francisco though.
    Have a great day all!
    Rebecca
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Cheri, I know of people who have turned their wedding gowns into christening gowns and they are beautiful.

Veronica, welcome! Sorry to hear about your accident but so glad to hear you are back working out. Keep it up and I’m sure you will be telling us about the triathlon in August.

Cheri, Snoopy dance for the weight loss!

Snowflake, how lucky you are to have such sweet grandkids. It’s looking like I won’t have any so I really envy you.

Rebecca, thanks for the nice words. I always feel welcome here. More energy is good though! Hang in there girl. Want to see pics of the new Japanese items. ((Hugs))

Terry
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thank you Janetr. <3 It does feel great I must say, though I don't want to go too low. I'm lucky to have a frame with wide shoulders, so I look quite athletic from a distance, with lycra on. (My skin texture gives my age away) I well remember the first time on this current health kick when I saw collar bones and arm definition appear. Nearly did a cartwheel! I do like the lightly muscled look and this year I am braving having my arms on show for the first time in years, despite the wrinkles. B) I do push ups and dumbbells every day.
    I have to admit that I chickened out of the kettlebells this afternoon and opted for the recumbent bike for my bonus calories. Managed 230 cals while watching a programme about how we give too many drugs to children. Double bonus!

The sauerkraut and würst was very nice. Next time will use less pickle juice and more wine and more potatoes for DH. Had it with wholegrain mustard. Stewed apricots and homemade yoghurt for dessert.

KJ - It's strange, but, once it has been written, it doesn't feel like it belongs to me. It is now a 'work of art' with its own life. A separate thing. So glad you are enjoying it.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Rye, yes, wedding is this Saturday. Rehearsal was supposed to be tonight but a crash on the only highway leading up to the site has closed the road, probably til 8 p.m. Just waiting to find out what the bride and groom are planning to do, talk of cancelling it was the last I heard. I have ordered a deli platter (meat and cheeses), veggie, fruit and dessert tray, not to mention bought LOTS of buns to take for a "dinner" after the rehearsal. Not sure what I'm going to do with all that stuff..... I haven't actually picked it up yet, but will not be one of those people who doesn't show up, that would just be rude, so I guess we'll be eating sandwiches for awhile. I can freeze the meat, cheese and desserts. Will just have to eat the veggies and fruit! I agree with a few other posts, you really need to shake up your dr and try and get some answers, losing that much sleep isn't healthy for you.
    Snowflake, we moved into a new house about a year ago, we got to decide on many of the finishes. We opted to get laminate flooring throughout, the only place we have carpet is on the stairs. I find it much easier to take care of than the carpet in our old house. I no longer need to use the power head for our vacuum (that was the heavy part!!) and can get the dust bunnies that hide under places much easier on the hard flooring. Just read the story of your grands, I teared up too! How wonderful that you have such a close and loving relationship with them!
    Katie, have you considered laminate? I never thought I would, and while I agree that real hardwood is beautiful, the newer laminates are also quite nice. I always thought laminate looked cheap, but it's a much nicer look now.
    Lanette, quite often people are fine buying a home with old carpets and lino anyway as they can then put what they really want instead of what the previous owners liked.
    Wendy, the cardio equipment at the Y has an option to do trails, you do the work and I'm guessing they have used drones to follow the trails, as is doesn't always show up well. Anyway, today I did one that took me on various tracks thru New Zealand! I saw the Pinnacles, Pancake Rocks, Franz Joseph glacier, Lake Mariana and went thru Arthurs (?) Pass. Loved it! There truly is something about a rainforest that just speaks to my soul! Good thing, since I live in one! lol
    Terry, glad to hear that things are looking up, even if it does mean potential surgery in your future.
    Machka, happy for you and hubby that he got moved into the rehab unit. Think of you often.
    Haven't been commenting lately, seems that it's all I can do to read the posts! Wedding is this weekend, kind of looking forward to it being over, I'm sad to say. Oh well, it is what it is.
    I had to find a new gym as the one I had been going to declared bankruptcy. It was very sudden, but not totally unexpected, very rarely was it crowded there. Anyway, I decided to go with the Y and I'm quite enjoying it. Seeing a few familiar faces, missing the women only aspect, but I'll just have to deal with it. As one woman said, "I like men, but..." I agree. I do find it's different at the Y than at the rec centre where I also go once a week for a TRX class. At the rec centre some people (both genders!) seem to be "preening" as opposed to working out. Haven't noticed that at the Y, not yet anyway. Got a tour with a trainer early last week, so now I'm actually comfortable using the weight equipment. I was quite surprised at my body and strength, I haven't used machines for quite awhile, been using free weights or just my own body weight, so was surprised at what I could and couldn't do! Oh well, it won't take long to get back to what I had and to celebrate the new stuff! lol
    So it's now official, the rehearsal has been cancelled. Have now invited kids over for dinner tonite, gotta do something with all that food!
    Okay, enough of this novel. I know I missed saying stuff to people that I've been thinking about. Hugs to those who need them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island, where son has just turned down dinner invite. Sigh.

• DebCountsAll
    DebCountsAll Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    n6ecg1bz8d3y.jpg

Rebecca

I'm obviously so far behind, but I love love love this! I feel this exact way. I'll be doing another trip back down from Alaska to the states this fall with my father. He's a fun travel companion. Everyone else I know is a "plan it to death" kind of person, and he's always just winged it. I am so thankful that he's still in great shape after all he's been through with my mother's decline and death.

Deb in Sili Valley (I call it that because aspects of life here are ludicrous)
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    n6ecg1bz8d3y.jpg

Rebecca

I'm obviously so far behind, but I love love love this! I feel this exact way. I'll be doing another trip back down from Alaska to the states this fall with my father. He's a fun travel companion. Everyone else I know is a "plan it to death" kind of person, and he's always just winged it. I am so thankful that he's still in great shape after all he's been through with my mother's decline and death.

Deb in Sili Valley (I call it that because aspects of life here are ludicrous)

That sounds like an awesome travel companion. My husband and I did a "fly by the seat of our pants" vacation in 2009, still one on my best vacations ever! Enjoy your trip with your Dad when you get to it.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    ok finally sitting with my feet,up as the saying goes my dogs are barking.....long long day...
    up at 5 and got Tal on the bus, walked the dogs, fed my DFIL and then went next town over to turn off internet and phone to my dads, I started tearing up once back in the car as the phone number that my parents had they have had for 56 yrs, and with a flip of the switch that is it,,,
    Called the reverse mortgage people and they were rude, so attorney will talk with them, have to get homeowners ins for the house until we sell it, which I will be paying for as there will probably be no money in the end..
    went grocery shopping as I am having an open house for the patio tomorrow and have invited the whole place, but im sure people will come and go, but had to get nibbles ,wine etc... came home and put that all away. took Alfie for a walk, and did some baking... going to have a little something to eat and hit the hay early as tomorrow will be a long day to .. thank heaven's I can sorta sleep in Saterday..
  • lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Oh, Camilla's deli hat was a 'hoot'. Leave it to someone with a huge imagination to make fun of her hat. Looked like Prince Charles was totally 'out of his element and enjoying it, good to see him smiling'. Looked so sweetly to Meghan and Harry saying, 'Thanks, Pa or Pop' was a nice thing to say. Why are the "Meghan Haters" being such @$$-O's. I think they make a wonderful couple and 'being in love brings out that sparkle in their eyes'. Her half-sister was being more than a *kitten* about things.

Thyroid issues 'sux' at best; because it is the thermostat to the body. Once it is regulated you will feel so much better.

I go to my surgeon on the 31st after having a test where they stuck a tube down my nostril into my esophagus and then squirted salt water and I was supposed to swallow only once and then wait for 30 seconds for her to do it again. She finally had to get Louis back there to calm me down. He will discuss the results of the test and whether or not I'd be a candidate for the LINX procedure. IF he says that I would be, I am going to get a 2nd opinion. Appointment has already been made. Louis was talking to my Periodontist and he suggested finding someone who had been involved in perfecting the procedure because he had heard that it only made matters worse for some people. The MD I have a 2nd opinion appointment with is the 83rd most knowledgeable in the entire nation ... so I think I will be going up near Atlanta in late July. Supposedly, Barrett's Esophagus is a disorder that has cells that can turn into (or are) pre-cancerous. I'm upset about the things I have read. Just have to wait and see and then decide what needs to be done. But, I have not been on Nexium or Pepcid AC in over a month. I have burped and belched almost non-stop.

Rebecca - Your son's roommate made me think of the parents of a 30-year-old man being 'booted' from there house. Sorry as possibly. Had greasy hair down his back, although dressed up in a suit. He represented himself and then when the Judge told him 'to get out' he went up and argued with him - twice. The bailiff was trying his best to keep him away from getting right in the Judge's face. My Daddy used to say that a 'person representing himself was a 'fool for a client' and an 'idiot for a lawyer'. He sat back and shoot his head. Apparently, the parents were sitting in the seats behind where the plaintiff and defendants and their attorneys sat.

I was never able to take hormone replacement medication after my hysterectomy at the age of 31. Tried it with the 3 weeks on and 1 week off and the week I was 'off' I was a hell-on-wheels. Then they put me on them full time - still had a week of 'wanting to kill anything that moved'. Finally, took me off them and I felt so much better.

One of the high school in the area were all wearing 'red noses' at graduation ... not as a 'prank' but in 'support' of the 'red nose action'.

Looks like we are going to have a lot of rain over the next week or so, whether the storm remains a tropical storm or turns into a hurricane (which will mean more wind). I just hope it does not stall over the area like Inez did about 20 years ago which was considered the 500-year flood. Water had never risen that high ever since keeping records.

My wrist is still hurting like hello-kitty! I've been having to put it back in the wrist splint just to get it so I can relax it.

Nothing new going on. Just hanging

Lenora
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Cool and cloudy this morning, nice time to work in the yard. Got some more branches and blackberry vines cut up and ready for the burn pile. Wasps decided to build a nest on the underside of our porch railing. NOT NICE. I sprayed with the foam and now have knocked the nest down. Put the goats out in the front pasture and they are cleaning up the fencelines. Got to love those little critters. Eating is going well, got fresh raspberries on sale. Yum!

Rebecca - Hope your parathyroid problems are soon solved. It will be nice for you to get the son moved in.

Kim - You two look like you are having a marvelous time in that picture.

Katla - There was one trail in the Black Hills that we got lost on every time we rode it but always found our way home eventually.

Machka - Glad DH finally made it to rehab.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Uuuuu
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    ⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓
  • pipcd34
    Options