Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3<3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did Gilad’s Sandy Beach DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to go to the deep water class.

Suebdew – I’m so sorry to hear about your hubby’s brother.

Rori – hope you had a great time in the Poconos. Lately, I’ve liked using the WalMart pick up service. But you do need to plan in advance. It IS convenient, tho. I can totally understand why, but it's a bit of a pain because you need a $30 minimum. Most of my bill is meats and there's no way I would trust them to pick out a cut of meat for us.

Wendy – I get lost going out of my driveway. But I remember one time Vince mused “I wonder if that road intersects with (another) road”. I said “yes, it does” “How do you know” “because I got lost once and found out….lol” Boy, you and Rori will be able to exchange “newly retired” stories soon!! Congrats

Supposed to volunteer at the Green Room today. Want to leave for there early and buy some birthday cards. Then after the Green Room need to pick up an order from WalMart. I’m thinking that I’ll go to Aldi and get a few things since I need beef broth for this weekend and WalMart doesn’t carry any low sodium that’s less expensive so I’m hoping that Aldi does. If not, I guess I’ll just have to bite the bullet and buy some with full sodium. I really don’t like doing that.

Terry in VT – welcome back, glad you’re better now. Did you get an electric start on your lawnmower?

Virginia – welcome! The Blue Ridge Parkway is right by me, too. Of course, it goes thru multiple states so that’s not saying a whole lot. I’m so sorry to hear about your accident. Best of luck to you in getting to that triathelon

M – I didn’t realize that sweet potatoes help with the hot flashes. Even tho I eat them, wonder why I still get the hot flashes? But then again, I do have to say that they aren’t as bad.

About wedding dresses – I know my mother had her wedding dress made into a doll dress for me when I was younger

Snowflake – what wonderful grandkids you have!

Evelyn – it’s good that you invited everyone over to have some of that food. Have a good time

Lenora – (((HUG)))

Michele in NC
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Wedding dress I think I am about the same weight as I was when I got married. My 24th anniversary is in a couple of days. I’m tempted to try it on. But worried how I will feel if (likely) it doesn’t fit.

My nieces are all very different body types so they wouldn’t want it and I can’t sew. Probably ought to consider selling it.

Rye
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    I wrote notes and keep forgetting to post them, as putting in some pictures is so much fun.

Heather – I’ve never even seen Instagram, much less have an account, the challenge for my business is it is all custom. So it’s not like you can buy a “pre-done” item from me. I did try to do a blog, but it took way too much time! (probably because I didn’t really understand how to do it) The god-kids are really good at Facebook and could help me. So that’s were I am at.

Machka – I have some of those tables! If you were closer you could have one.

Katla – So I totally get the idea of flushing the pills BUT for everyones info, PLEASE don’t flush medications, they dissolve into the water system and are not removed by the city sewer systems, which means they end up in the ground water or our lakes, streams, rivers, and the ocean. They affect the organisms that live in our water ways and eventually affect us. In many towns the hospital, fire or police departments have bins to deposit medications in where they are disposed of properly.

Smiles

Kim from N. California

• wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Evelyn, those virtual trails sound fun. I've actually been on the Franz Josef Glacier trail. I wonder if I can find them on the internet?

Katla, you are having the same problem as my asperger student. She has a great deal of trouble mounting her horse, even with a handy log. I gave her "homework" to do last time we rode, teaching her horse to move over and stand next to the log instead of making it more difficult by standing a foot away. But what to do when there is no log? As I have told her, you can purchase an extenda-stirrup to carry with you that you just hook onto your regular stirrup, use it like a ladder and then take it off once you're on board. This would be very handy for someone with knee problems. You can carry it with you on your saddle horn or tied to the back of your saddle. Mounting is something you should practice, just like any other thing you do with horses. Get on and off twenty times. The way you stand and the direction you throw your energy are crucial. You should stand facing forward, not looking directly at the horse's side, but facing towards the horse's head. Use the horse's neck and the front of the saddle to help you get up, not the back of the saddle which tends to pull the saddle off. Don't try to pull yourself up, try to push yourself off the ground. It is a fast, springy movement much easier to do fast, than slow. Practice makes perfect!

Well, we have only just got the power back on here after lightning struck our power pole last night. Luckily all the horses are okay and stayed in the paddocks despite the terrifying storm.

Welcome back Terry. I'm glad you feel well enough to join us again.

Thank God it is the weekend here. I am ready for a few days of R & R. <3 Wendy
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    AWW Terry~ I am so sorry your in such pain.. wish there was something I could do to help you..
    well I am up and already running... oh well ..hoping everyone will enjoy Memorial Day weekend.. only thing with me is I get only 3 days pay this week..
    sucking down my tea and then off to get my DGD on the bus and walk the dogs, will not feed my DFIL today as I have way to much to do...
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    It's Friday!

Terry ((((HUGS)))) <3<3

Kim
    - Levi's hair is so cute. What a great photo of you and your friend - many good memories of your trip! Crossing fingers your business picks up!

Wendy - glad you have an end date for your job. Esmeralda is just enchanting. <3 Seems like every spare minute I have, I'm looking at NutritionFacts.org to see what Dr. Greger has to report on all kinds of things. What a wonderful compilation of research. I'm edging toward his Daily Dozen challenge.

Evie - glad to see you back! I know you'll be super glad when the wedding is over! Looks like fairly nice weather for tomorrow, cooled off a bit.

Janetr, Heather, Lisa .... all of you getting back to your goals: you are an inspiration!

Barbie - you do live in a beautiful area, and I never tire of seeing your photos. I think you are right in the middle of Sasquatch country there in the mountains. B)

Yesterday was Fast Day - I ended up not sticking to 500 calories, but did go 20 hrs with only water and 2 cups of black coffee - reading more of Dr. Mosley's book, there was a group that did just that-alternate day- for a few weeks and the health results were also very good. We shall see.

The 5:2 intermittent fasting reminds me of the Weight Watchers Wendie Plan that someone came up with when a person was allotted so many points for the week.... a day or two with a lot of points and a couple days of low, low points. I kind of naturally did that when I lost weight on WW - had no idea I was doing good things for my brain and insulin resistance at the same time I was trimming down, but I know I felt terrific.

Lanette
    Cooler SW WA State

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Deb in Sili Valley, ooh have fun with your father! He sounds like quite a character. My father was suave, business like, laughed like a donkey, and I miss him! Give yours a hug from me!!
    vp9yfpkxkpn2.jpg
    My father and I on my wedding day in 1984!

Oh played with the Messenger app to make your face up! Fun stuff, and I don't have to worry about wiping it off!
    ihc3mbgfeo0a.jpeg

Hugs
    Rebecca

What a great picture of you and your Dad. I realized after my Dad passed I don't have a lot of picture of us together, I do have one of us dancing on my wedding day though, and just yesterday the song my daughter is going to use to dance with her Dad came on my song rotation I realized that I don't remember what song my Dad and I danced to. I have to figure that out.

Tracey in Edmonton (I keep forgetting to add this in this group)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – I didn’t realize that sweet potatoes help with the hot flashes. Even tho I eat them, wonder why I still get the hot flashes? But then again, I do have to say that they aren’t as bad.

Apparently they are supposed to help ... not prevent them all together, I don't think, but help a bit.

Also a vegetarian diet or a diet that leans toward vegetarian.

And along those lines, I noticed something in an uncontrolled, anecdotal unplanned experiment.

I eat a diet that leans toward vegetarian. Not much in the way of meat and usually only chicken. I was having some hot flashes on the days just before my periods, but that was it. Then last year, we went to Canada and stayed with my parents who eat a lot of meat, but also ate out at restaurants where I had more meat than usual. Halfway through our 3.5 week trip, I started having wicked hot flashes which continued through the month after we got back as well ... and then they died off and are back to just before my periods.

A month or so later, I read that people who eat a predominantly vegetarian diet tend to have fewer hot flashes, and got to thinking about that experience. Maybe there's something to it!

M in Oz

• Snowflake1968
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Oh, Camilla's deli hat was a 'hoot'. Leave it to someone with a huge imagination to make fun of her hat. Looked like Prince Charles was totally 'out of his element and enjoying it, good to see him smiling'. Looked so sweetly to Meghan and Harry saying, 'Thanks, Pa or Pop' was a nice thing to say. Why are the "Meghan Haters" being such @$$-O's. I think they make a wonderful couple and 'being in love brings out that sparkle in their eyes'. Her half-sister was being more than a *kitten* about things.

Thyroid issues 'sux' at best; because it is the thermostat to the body. Once it is regulated you will feel so much better.

I go to my surgeon on the 31st after having a test where they stuck a tube down my nostril into my esophagus and then squirted salt water and I was supposed to swallow only once and then wait for 30 seconds for her to do it again. She finally had to get Louis back there to calm me down. He will discuss the results of the test and whether or not I'd be a candidate for the LINX procedure. IF he says that I would be, I am going to get a 2nd opinion. Appointment has already been made. Louis was talking to my Periodontist and he suggested finding someone who had been involved in perfecting the procedure because he had heard that it only made matters worse for some people. The MD I have a 2nd opinion appointment with is the 83rd most knowledgeable in the entire nation ... so I think I will be going up near Atlanta in late July. Supposedly, Barrett's Esophagus is a disorder that has cells that can turn into (or are) pre-cancerous. I'm upset about the things I have read. Just have to wait and see and then decide what needs to be done. But, I have not been on Nexium or Pepcid AC in over a month. I have burped and belched almost non-stop.

Rebecca - Your son's roommate made me think of the parents of a 30-year-old man being 'booted' from there house. Sorry as possibly. Had greasy hair down his back, although dressed up in a suit. He represented himself and then when the Judge told him 'to get out' he went up and argued with him - twice. The bailiff was trying his best to keep him away from getting right in the Judge's face. My Daddy used to say that a 'person representing himself was a 'fool for a client' and an 'idiot for a lawyer'. He sat back and shoot his head. Apparently, the parents were sitting in the seats behind where the plaintiff and defendants and their attorneys sat.

I was never able to take hormone replacement medication after my hysterectomy at the age of 31. Tried it with the 3 weeks on and 1 week off and the week I was 'off' I was a hell-on-wheels. Then they put me on them full time - still had a week of 'wanting to kill anything that moved'. Finally, took me off them and I felt so much better.

One of the high school in the area were all wearing 'red noses' at graduation ... not as a 'prank' but in 'support' of the 'red nose action'.

Looks like we are going to have a lot of rain over the next week or so, whether the storm remains a tropical storm or turns into a hurricane (which will mean more wind). I just hope it does not stall over the area like Inez did about 20 years ago which was considered the 500-year flood. Water had never risen that high ever since keeping records.

My wrist is still hurting like hello-kitty! I've been having to put it back in the wrist splint just to get it so I can relax it.

Nothing new going on. Just hanging

Lenora

I was following that story as well, then yesterday he says he needs 6 months notice. I couldn't believe it, I bet the parents have been trying for years so he's already had more than 6 months notice. Unbelievable that he thinks he can just mooch off his parents for that long. He even stated he didn't have to contribute to anything to do with his parents house, including upkeep.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Machka: Good luck with your hotflashes. My gyno put me on low dose estrogen, and that was horrible so I threw it away. Vitamin D3 was very helpful for me and I still take it year round for its mood lifting and mind clarifying benefits. It might be worth a try for you, though I certainly can't provide the kind of medical expertise that you may prefer. There are loads of articles on its benefits online from reputable sources.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4764124
    https://www.verywellhealth.com › Health A-Z › Menopause › Treatmen
    https://www.menopausecentre.com.au/.../vitamin-d-the-sunshine-hormone-helping-yo...
    https://www.avogel.co.uk/.../menopause/.../why-you-need-vitamin-d-in-the-menopaus...

Dana in AR: I hope your daughter gets her happily ever after sooner rather than later. (((HUGS)))

Barbie: Any post that starts with "Today I enjoyed . . ." is a blessing to the poster and all of us. Thank you for today's message. :heart:

Kim: It looks to me like your mom has a good sense of humor. The topknot with a pretty bow reminds me of Cindy Loo Who. You are absolutely right about the inadvisability of flushing medicine. My 20 year old self didn't know any better and it was actually DH who flushed it back then. :embarassed:

Wendy: You are right about practicing mounting. I have no trouble using a handy log, but there are times that there is no handy log. I'm looking at extenda-stirrups and will probably buy one. :smiley:

(((Terry in VT)))

Karen in VA: Would it be possible or practical for your DGS to transfer to another school? He needs to get away from the toxic teacher. At the very least, his parents need to collect some data and go to the principal for help. It seems as though he's being put into a "gotcha" trap. :sad:

Machka: It is good that your DH is now in the rehab phase of treatment. You have been under an enormous load of stress for a long time. I hope you'll be able to get some help for yourself. (((HUGS)))

I'm planning to go to yoga today. I missed yesterday because we went to the cemetery and took flowers to my parents. That is about 160 miles, round trip. I'm glad we made the trip yesterday rather than waiting for Memorial Day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
    Thomas A. Edison

• Snowflake1968
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Long Rant Ahead

My 11 year old grandson is having a hard week. He has missed part or all of every day at school this week. Today, he is going to try staying all day. I don't think he should go to the last half of the day. Both his dad and I are "on call" to come and get him from school if he melts down.

We found out the teacher he spends the most time with (Mrs. Evans) has apparently lost her ability to be objective with him. She is engaging in "Gotcha" interactions with him. For example, my grandson has proven unable to follow the rules concerning use of the Chromebook at school. He gets his work done very quickly and is then tempted to look at entertaining things on the Chromebook that are off limits at school (games, etc.). He lost his Chromebook privileges, and subsequently his parents (my son and daughter-in-law) asked that all of his computer-based work be assigned as homework so they could monitor his computer usage at home. The Chromebook assigned to him was supposed to be turned in to the office as if it was the end of the school year.

Without consulting with anyone, Mrs. Evans decided to take possession of the Chromebook instead of turning it in to the office. My grandson was aware of this, as were his other teachers. His parents were not aware of this, however. So his teachers were sending my grandson to Mrs. Evans to use his Chromebook for certain assignments, unbeknownst to his parents. My grandson concealed this information from his parents, because he wanted to be able to use his Chromebook at school.

At one point, Mrs. Evans decided to give my grandson physical possession of the Chromebook to take to another classroom for a Health assignment, then monitored him remotely, knowing he was likely to screw up. Predictably, my grandson finished his Health assignment and then looked for entertainment on the Chromebook. He got caught by Mrs. Evans, who was "watching" him remotely from her classroom. She then swooped down on him and confiscated his Chromebook, humiliating him in front of his other teacher and classmates.

Another time, she hovered at the doorway to her classroom as kids were coming down the hallway, and caught him talking in the hallway (I have no idea why that is an infraction). She said to him, "Aha! Now I have a reason to write you up!" and wrote him up and made him sit in the hallway, again humiliating him in front of classmates. Of course, lots of students were talking in the hallway. She singled him out.

When my son and daughter-in-law found out about the Chromebook, they were befuddled because they thought their request that the Chromebook be turned in and not available at all to my grandson had been honored. When I found out about it, I wasn't befuddled. I was pi$$ed. I know a set-up when I see one. That teacher set my grandson up, and ignored his best adult advocates. How disrespectful. And harmful. My grandson was constantly called by the Siren Song of the Chromebook at school, and he was lying to his parents about it. His teacher was complicit.

Now they are going to require him to go back into her classroom several more times for classes.

She could give him all of his work. He is so quick he would have all of the work for her class for the rest of the year done in 1-2 days. I do not understand why he has to spend another minute with her.

Additionally, she is a teacher for gifted students. Yet a recent email to my son and daughter-in-law contained numerous grammar, spelling, and phrasing errors.

She hates my grandson. He has emotional & processing disabilities, and he is really intelligent, and she hates him. She lost her objectivity a long time ago. As a teacher, with all of the power, she should recognize that she can not interact with him in a nonpartial manner. No matter how aggravating a student is, it is up to the teacher to remain in control and remain objective in his/her dealings with him. And if she can't recognize it, my son and daughter-in-law should.

What is wrong with these people???

I am really upset.

Karen in Virginia

What an awful way for a teacher to treat an 11 year old. Is there a way the principal can be brought in to help? Hopefully, he doesn't have to deal with her next year as well.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA ~ I'm so sorry that your grandson has had a bad experience with his teacher this year. When my son was in the 4th grade, I had to have him removed from his teacher's class because of the way she treated him...he was ADD/HD/LD. I am sure that that experience impacted his life greatly.

And, as a retired 5th grade teacher myself, it makes me sad to think that perhaps I caused some children to have a bad 5th grade experience. All I can say is that I am sorry if that had happened and ask for forgiveness from God.

My own grandson was in 2nd grade this year. At the beginning of the year he loved his teacher and was liking school for the first time. Then, she had a death in her family and found out that she had stage 4 breast cancer. This was only into a month or so into the school year. After she left, he had 4 substitute teachers for the remainder of the year. He did not do well on his Cogat test and I attribute a lot of that to the lack of stability in his classroom and also to the fact that he probably inherited some of my son's attention deficit problems. They will get him help this summer and I can only hope that 3rd grade will be a vast improvement.

Carol in GA
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Quick check in. My DGS is back in hospital with small bowel issues. They were hoping to wait until school was out before surgery but may have to do it now. Leaving in a few hours to go up there.
    Did well in golf tournament but I am so tired today.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    SueBDew in TX
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3