May Self-Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,177 Member
    Options
    A thing I've been doing for a while now is going outside first thing in the morning to do a little stretching and bodyweight exercises before breakfast. It seems to have a large impact on my blood glucose, but the main thing is, I make myself head outside and see daylight first thing, and it wakes me up mentally and helps me prepare for the day. The rule is I head outside no matter the weather unless it's actually dangerous (such as hail or lightning.) Strangely enough, what began as a hardship intended to help me adjust to the different seasons has become a joyful thing. It doesn't hurt me to get rained on once in a while, or to see my breath freeze! But it's especially nice when a storm has just gone through and everything smells wonderful, the temperature has dropped to a reasonable level, and the frogs are singing.

What a beautiful idea! I will copy it and do this as well. I'll be on summer break soon and I plan on sitting outside in the mornings and journal writing every day.
  • RubyRed427
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Yesterday, I weeded and planted flowers. Gardening does keep you in the moment. You just focus on what you're doing. I love that about Nature. It grounds me. Xo
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Going to try and drink lots of water today and get myself back on that
  • pembersep
    pembersep Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I went on a bike ride with my fiancé to a fun part of town, where we sat outside on a picnic bench and watched the sun go down. Although I'm not a big drinker, I have trouble resisting the urge to drink socially, and since I drank a salty dog with a friend at lunchtime, it took some willpower to order something besides beer at dinnertime. (That's to say, I recognized I didn't want the drink at lunchtime, which cast a light on my decision-making for the rest of the day.)

I didn't have a sip and, instead, ordered a kombucha. Enjoying my beverage (and a yummy jian bing) was a self-care moment. I have nothing against beer or alcohol, mind you, or sips or gulps or mugfuls. What's important is teasing apart my own needs from the needs of my friends and family. In the past I would socially drink without even craving a drink, and I've been practicing being the designated driver in specific instances, for example, or just ordering something non-alcoholic and delicious, too. I don't always succeed.
  • katy_maher
    katy_maher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Love the idea of this challenge! Congrats to everyone who made it this far - reading through the thread gave me a lot of great self care ideas! Will there be another challenge for June?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,017 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @katy_maher

Yes, I think so! See below!
    twyla77 wrote: »
    @twyla77
    This is such a great challenge/group...

Are you planning to continue this in June? I hope so!

Please let us know!!

Yes, let’s do it again in June! i love reading all these ideas!

Excited!!
  • RubyRed427
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I declined an invitation to go to a sports bar to drink and eat with friends and watch the NBA game tonight. The self care part was I didnt drink too much, sleep awfully, and have a hangover. Drinking sparkling water and watching the game alone. It's all good.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    10 km run.
    Created a Strava club for women runners which I'm really excited about.
    Read this thread and felt chilled-out from your posts. Thanks!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,017 Member
    Options
    May 28
    True Caring/fun/indulgent Ideas I came up with yesterday!
    1. Play with make-up! Go to sept store for application/ideas! YouTube videos?!
    2. A tiny tip-toe into plants! Herbs, flowers, succulent-art Project?!
    3. Create an art piece(s) to remind myself of ALL the ways my life is better now & place it/them where I can see them. For ex: I can hike now & don’t even hurt. I can pick things off floor or low shelves easily. I am never hungry. I can buy clothes at some small boutiques & I can find things I love that fit! My posture is transformed. Who knew...I have abs (slowly & steadily they are appearing) My skin is soft. I enjoy moving. I look on the outside the way I always felt on the inside.
    4. Many more bubble baths.

Typing this from the bathtub!!!

Have an awesome day!
  • twyla77
    twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    @katy_maher

Yes, I think so! See below!
    twyla77 wrote: »
    @twyla77
    This is such a great challenge/group...

Are you planning to continue this in June? I hope so!

Please let us know!!

Yes, let’s do it again in June! i love reading all these ideas!

Excited!!

Hi!
    I'll post up a June challenge today! Glad everyone is wanting to keep it going!
  • twyla77
    twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Did a hair mask this morning before work, and I'm loving how nice my hair feels and smells now! I keep getting faint wafts of coconut, so it feels like I'm somewhere tropical even though i'm just working away at my desk!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    got up early and walked - fabulous way to start my day.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Didn't post yesterday, I was very busy. However I took care of my well-being.

For a couple of days I'd been getting really annoyed with all sorts of things. I worked out I was actually getting over being stressed about being parkrun Run Director on Saturday, although it had gone smoothly.

I decided I'd like to talk to my psychologist about that realisation, and she had an appointment free, so I saw her the same day, and we had a really, really great chat.

Today I'm relaxing by reading your posts, and will hopefully catch up with some other threads I like.
  • nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Went to the ocean this weekend.Did a test of the xc track,2 laps.(It was a bit much for me).But afterwards we went riding along the sea shore and the next day i rode along the xc track,taking pictures of the participants,which included my husband and son.It was so relaxing and having fun.