June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    7.1 km - 3.55k Walk & 3.55k Run Pats Creek Trail.
    Walked up with a very small group of 4, then we ran down.
    We were having a rolling walking Pre-Meeting talk touching the last items before our local Run Club Race on Sunday. The normal pre-race stuff, Bibs, Pins, Course marshals, sweepers, aid station, signs ..........
    Then we turned and had an easy relaxing run down the hill back to the Rec center.
    The most important part - over to the Pub for the real meeting with volunteers and sponsors. and maybe a pint or two- 1 for the run and 1 for the meeting.

exercise.png

@skippygirlsmom Yes Congratulations to Miss Skip.
    Congratulations to you for being a good role model for her.

I think she had her shoes mixed up.
    Should have been Running Shoes with the Gown and Grad Finery
    Heels in her track outfit with Grad Finery o:)
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Today I did 3.1 miles. About a 50/50 split between jogging and walking. 59.4 miles to go.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - I passed your test. I have been working on those exercises for a while now with my trainer and do variations with weights too :)
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Your test is evil! Did it four times on each leg and fell over within a second of landing twice each, the other times were maybe okay (if I count to 10 fast enough >:) ). I struggle a lot with anything related to balance! If I open the eyes for a second after landing to adjust my "spacial awareness" (if that makes sense), I can do it.
    Does this mean I have muscular imbalances, or just that my balance is rubbish? I've got some kind of inner ear problem that was already diagnosed when I was a kid, so no surprise there.
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    So, everyone. Do a hop test. You should also be able to stand on one leg, eyes closed for 10+ seconds. Can you do it?

Can do that... until I close my eyes. My mind caused me to lose balance every time. I slowed my breathing and took a more meditative approach - then I could stand on one leg without losing balance. Can't do the hop and balance with eyes closed yet, but I'll work on that. Thanks for the new (to me) balance exercise. It'll help me improve doing my karate katas with my eyes closed. :smiley:

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Another update regarding my return to running post (R)ITBS AND endoscopic nerve decompression at (L)piriformis. I'm going too have to drop them an "I owe you my life" kinda note at some point...

Saw "not the doc" today. Basically I'm on track. I need to work on my glute max strength on my left. I think he was a little disappointed I wasn't running more minutes but agreed with where I am once we looked at the left side.

He had me do a jump test. Left- eh, right- great. If you can't jump up and land on one foot and hold it for more than 10 seconds, you need to address some issues.

I'm (supposed to be) doing the bird dog 3 days a week, maybe the donkey kicks too, to address this weakness. @7lenny7 I still have your pt. I'll probably do some of it at this point, and consider some resistance work

Another month, and I'll probably be ready to take the training wheels off. Long journey with this crap, but I think there's finally light at the end of the tunnel.

So, everyone. Do a hop test. You should also be able to stand on one leg, eyes closed for 10+ seconds. Can you do it?

I can do the hop test, no problems, which surprised me because my bad leg feels very wobbly. But I already knew that due to balance damage from diabetes I can't do the closed eye test. I just fall straight over.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    6/1 0
    6/2 2
    6/3 2
    6/4 2
    6/5 2
    6/6 rest day
    6/7 3

11 of 50 miles

Slow but ran the full 3 miles. I have a 5K trail run next weekend.

@Elise4270 woohoo I can do it. Barely
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Staying home with sick 4 year old so extra time meant I could run extra. 10 miles at a n 8:15 pace. Some part of me feels guilty for taking advantage of a bad situation.
    @skippygirlsmom Congratulations to Skip, she looks ready for the challenges ahead. I'm sure you'll adjust.
    @amymoreorless Your lucky you get pillows. I get a gentle nudge with a foot that gets less gentle every time the alarm goes off. My wife is way too gentle a sleeper, she even responds to the vibration alarm on my watch.

exercise.png

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,712 Member
    Options
    June 1 – 9.51 miles (4.5 miles of hill repeats)
    June 2 – 7.82 miles (trails)
    June 4 – 5.02 miles
    June 6 – 5 miles
    June 7 – 5.07 miles

@Elise4270 – I’m going to try to remember to do the hop test when I get home this evening.
    @hanlonsk – Sorry about the deer collision. They are heavy in my area and most mornings, I have to hit my brakes at least once to avoid one crossing the road or grazing near the road. Makes it a challenge when its at o-dark-thirty.
    @cburke8909 – Hope the little one is better soon. You just made good use of your extra time getting that extra mileage in!

Hilly 5-mile route this morning. I felt extra slow but I got it done. Taking advantage of no long race on the near horizon and in addition to running four mornings a week I'm doing a workout every day after work. Also cutting out junk food and watching the calories. It takes a toll on my running, but now's a good time to try to shed some extra baggage.

Upcoming Races:
    June 16 – Run the Gate 5K
    June 21 – The Beaver 10K
    September 1 – Iron Mountain 16-Miler
    September 7-8 – Blue Ridge Relay
    October 20 – Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon
    November 11 – Rock n Roll Vegas Half Marathon
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    6/1 = 4 miles
    6/2 = 5.5 miles
    6/3 = 10 miles
    6/4 = 3 miles
    6/5 = forced rest day (stupid work)
    6/6 = 13 miles
    6/7 = Vinyasa yoga class

150 goal miles / 35.5 miles complete

Upcoming Races (so far):
    6/23/2018 -Fit Foodie 5k
    10/10/2018 -Tough Mudder Half
    10/27/2018 -Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    1/26/2019 -Fitbit Topical 5k
    1/27/2019 -Miami Marathon
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,440 Member
    Options
    Slow 6 miles this morning. Really wasn't feeling it.
    I can do this, but just barely. With my eyes open it isn't any problem. Good thing I don't run with my eyes closed ;) I guess I need to work on my eye exercises. :#
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Just clarifying- I dont suggest doing the hop test with your eyes closed.

@Scott6255 The point in closing your eyes while balancing on one leg is to test your proprioception. Your muscles should know what to do without input from your eyes. You goony bird. How awesome would it be to run with your eyes closed! Just feel the run. Then the dirt on your face. Haha!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    6/1-1.08mi
    6/2-1.08 (5 hours aerial yoga)
    6/3-1.08mi
    6/4-1.01mi
    6/5-1.08mi with 23 flights of stairs.
    6/6-6.05mi

@elise4270 passed the test but i think that is more thanks to yoga

foster still wanted to play but i wanted to get to the trail. not enough calories left and no aerial yoga classes. i forgot bug spray and that was a big mistake. i also had a sudden urge to pee even though i peed before i hopped in the car. so those two things converged to some desire to scratch in indiscreet places

that aside we enjoyed the run. i took my two resident dogs. it had cooled off to the low 70s. i have oakley trail lenses which are awesome for the mixed light conditions

oh and i also accidentally sent an sos to my emergency contacts so that was the longest 12 mins for them till i realized i did it and sent out a text saying i was ok.

xkunpe9bqb9v.png

exercise.png

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 2.1 miles with my daughter, then 3.5 on my own.
    6/2 - Out of town for a baseball tournament.
    6/3 - 4.7 miles.
    6/4 - 3.4 treadmill miles, then upper body weights / abs.
    6/5 - Unplanned rest day.
    6/6 - 5 miles on Global Running Day.
    6/7 - 5.05 track / speed miles, then upper body weights.

23.75/100