Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is verbal harassment common at the gym? And do women or men catch more of it?

shaumom
shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
This is a pretty easy one -

Have you ever witnessed, participated in, or been a victim of, verbal harassment at a gym? How often - frequently, sometimes, occasionally, almost never?

If yes, what type? Sexual harassment, verbal intimidation, insults or derogatory comments, something else?

And, was the victim of said harassment a man or a woman (or someone who reads as a man or woman)?

And if anyone wishes, bonus question: are you a man or woman (or read like one) - just to see if we pay more attention to when people within our own perceived group are harassed, vs. other groups.

Bonus bonus question: if this is something you see sometimes or frequently, do you do anything about it when you see it? Or what do you think should be done about it, if anything?

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Not common at all in any gym I have been in. In fact I have experienced zero in my 29 years of gym going.

Most people are helpful in general (even strong little me gets offers of help from big strong guys and that is a good thing!)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    No, I've never seen this.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    I’ve belonged to two gyms and I’ve never seen this. Ever. Honestly, my current gym is downright friendly. People get chatty and complimentary.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Nope. Never.
This discussion has been closed.