"You're too skinny!" Do others ever make you question your maintenance weight?

Replies

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    :D
    So funny the peeps here.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    There is a guy I work with who lost a lot of weight within a very short period of time and I hadn't seen him between. I'll admit my first thought was "wow, he looks sickly". It took my brain a few weeks to process the change and realize he's a perfectly healthy weight. I think that's just the human mind.

Strangely enough, I've never had anyone tell me that I'm too skinny and I've spent pretty much my whole life on the bottom end of the BMI spectrum, sometimes in the underweight. But if you use the calculations that take into account frame size, I was always within the norm. I have a verrrrry small frame. And how much muscle you have makes a huge difference as well. I look pretty much exactly the same on the left at BMI of 18.3 as I do on the right with a BMI of 19.8.

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Someone knowing your history does flavor their perception. People who think I am too skinny are people who have known me a long time. I have recently taken up SUP paddling and go to some group outings posted in a FB group for local paddlers. In that crowd, I don't stand out at all; most of the SUP paddlers I have met are fit and trim. the only comment I get about my size is that I can use a smaller board than a bigger guy.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    I actually tell people now that what they are saying is offensive, and they are comparing me to what I used to be, not what a healthy size is. people quickly stopped commenting and I dont care if I come across as rude because frankly making comments like that is rude anyway.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    ...they are comparing me to what I used to be, not what a healthy size is.

I think this is the biggest reason for these types of comments from people you know.

• rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I still think that there is much less "skinny shaming" than "fat shaming" in society if we are being honest. Skinny folk are generally seen as nicer, more attractive, smarter, healthier, more dedicated, etc.

Let's not pretend that skinny or normal body weight folks are some discriminated class of citizens.

I also think 99% of the time those who say don't lose too much or that you are getting skinny are just reconciling the new you with the old you they have known forever. While it may be annoying or bothersome, it's really understandable and quite normal IMO.
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I also think 99% of the time those who say don't lose too much or that you are getting skinny are just reconciling the new you with the old you they have known forever. While it may be annoying or bothersome, it's really understandable and quite normal IMO.

I strongly disagree with the 99% part. Many of the people who hear this have been at a healthy weight their entire life.

Your example may be true in many cases but nowhere near 99% of the time.

You may be right about fat shaming being more common than skinny shaming, however I do not think one is more acceptable than the other.

Until 3 months ago, I been overweight for my age since before 6th grade. I'm now 60.
  • rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    Soopatt wrote: »
    This just happened to me today in my office. My manager came over to me today and said a few people had come over to him and said I look horrible that I am too skinny. It really threw me for a loop and I did question myself
    I started at 220 and ended at 145-147, currently maintaining at about 2000 calories a day plus some treats on the weekend...
    The wise man in me says these people just have a hard time adjusting to my new look, however it definitely was a painful experience

I can relate. My manager also runs HR and has told me twice in the past two days that I am skinny, it is not attractive and I must not lose any more weight (said in a dramatic voice). I am still 5kgs from my goal so nope, I am not going to listen to that, particularly as it is coming from the same woman who demanded to know if I was pregnant this time last year because I had a bit of a tummy - in front of a room full of people. She was not happy with my embarrassed "no, I am not pregnant, I am just fat" and went on and on, saying "you can tell us you know, we will be happy for you".

Not only was I fat not pregnant, but I am also unable to have children, a fact which most people are aware of. Beyond awkward.

Yep. Folks that run HR don't always know how to HR.
    I know this is over a year later, but if anybody ever has a problem like this again, many companies have an anonymous tip line that, in many cases, is monitored by Internal Audit, who in turn have a direct line to the Board of Directors Audit Committee. That will get action. I work in internal audit...
  • nea2702
    nea2702 Posts: 24 Member
    I am so glad I read this post. After losing 110lbs I am now getting people say to me how I do not need to lose anymore. While that may be true, I really like the way I look now and so I keep working at it. So there are some weeks where I may still lose. But I think the one thing that bothers me most though is when people ask if you are ok, just because you have lost weight. After getting asked this so often it makes me doubt myself.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Candyspun wrote: »
    Here's what I wished I'd said when people used to say it to me: 'thank you for letting me know. Would you like us to discuss your weight, now?'

I love this response!
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    I was hiking the other day, and it's customary around these trails, to greet your fellow hikers. "Good morning" or "Hi" is the usual greeting.

As I reached the top of one peak, I saw a young woman standing there, looking off into the distance. She was what I would consider petite (@ 5'3" and slender). As I started to pass her, before I could greet her, an athletic looking woman reached the top from the other side. She looked at the young woman and said, "Good lord, you're thin!" By the lack of response or reaction from the young woman, I guessed she didn't know this person from Adam.

When did this become a customary greeting to strangers?