June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Haven't posted my run status for a few days so I am starting with that.
    Yesterday's run felt amazing! There were times that it just felt like everything clicked and my form was right on and it just felt, well, amazing. We did have a couple of distractions at the beginning (technology issues and evidence of rattlesnakes on the trail (recent sheds)) and towards the end when a dog unexpectedly jumped through a broken fence/gate growling and barking, that scared the sh$t out of Hobbes and me. This particular dog has chased us before so I went directly to their house and complained. I am really getting tired of it. That and people being rude or not being able to control their dogs as was the case today. Today's run was a slower easy run that felt ok but I got so frustrated with all the rude people - Honestly this has been the case the last few days and I am not sure if it is me being too sensitive or just that people are being more rude. I mean do you have to walk 4 abreast across the trail so I have to stop and wait for you to move... or the guy with a dog he can't control who wouldn't stop so I could go by with Hobbes. We ended up stopping multiple times to let them go far enough ahead of us. This particular dog has come after us before when the owner couldn't control him and it literally drags the guy down the street or trail. The best though was the guy with two dogs on retractable leashes stopped in the middle of the trail with a leash stretched taut to both sides. He is lucky he didn't 'catch' a cyclist zooming

That does sound annoying. It might be out of your comfort zone, but maybe try speaking up, in a nice way, with a smile. The walkers especially might not realize they're in your way. A friendly-sounding "Excuse me!" MIGHT help. But the guy with the uncontrollable dog would scare me.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    6/30 Silesian Highland [trail] Half Marathon
    7/16 CityTrail OnTour 5k

I counted C25k with my friend as running today, although it was 4 minutes running, 1 minute walking, repeated 6 times. The overall pace for my time with her was slower, but it's long run day, and I biked 22k last night to/from work and was already tired, so my desire to not run a single step further than I had to overruled my desire to not log it as part of my own running training. I did record it as 2 separate workouts though. 5.2k plus 14.1 on my own = 12 miles

Then I made coffee. I am on my second cup, and I am not a coffee drinker. I will probably regret this decision later. It did give me some great comebacks for @shanaber 's trail associates, but I deleted them ;) I wouldn't actually say any of them. I would just think of them after I was already past the person and the moment to say it was gone, and then kick myself for not being more assertive. Oh well.

Have fun racing @AlphaHowls @ariceroni @girlinahat @skippygirlsmom and anyone I missed!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I'm exhausted. Not sure how sustainable my circuit training and increasing my long runs will be over the next couple of months. We'll see!

I know taking a break when you've settled in to a grove and made a plan is hard. I think i could use a few rest days to let my legs fully recover and training to take hold. But i want to keep pushing forwards, i keep telling myself training on tired legs is okay- until its not (because I'm not 100% from surgery yet. Luckily niggles are still just niggles). .

Part of training plans should include a cut back week, right? Do you have a cut back planned? If you add one extra rest/active recovery day, I'll add one :wink: maybe.

I sure sleep better in this constant state of exaustion. No amount of coffee or red bull seems to kick it. Spring for a massage? Nap? Few extra fitness calories? :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Ah, Saturday morning. My favorite day to run. There are great shows on the radio and I have plenty of time to run as long as I want.

Today I ran for an hour. A whole hour. I haven't run for an hour in months and months. The last five minutes were daunting, I could feel my shins tightening up, but I made it. A whole hour. And I averaged just over 13 minutes per mile. So that's... just over 4.5 miles. LOL

It's okay. I'll get back there someday. Even if I don't, it still feels good to be running.

I saw your run on Strava. I was stoked to see you on the come back rise!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    That does sound annoying. It might be out of your comfort zone, but maybe try speaking up, in a nice way, with a smile. The walkers especially might not realize they're in your way. A friendly-sounding "Excuse me!" MIGHT help. But the guy with the uncontrollable dog would scare me.

Then I made coffee. I am on my second cup, and I am not a coffee drinker. I will probably regret this decision later. It did give me some great comebacks for @shanaber 's trail associates, but I deleted them ;) I wouldn't actually say any of them. I would just think of them after I was already past the person and the moment to say it was gone, and then kick myself for not being more assertive. Oh well.
    @polskagirl01 - The walkers were coming towards me! I do say hello and excuse me when coming up behind someone. I figure they are enjoying the trail and don't see us behind them. Although no one should walk 4 across especially with cyclists also using the trail!
    On the comebacks... Hahahahaha that is So totally me. While I am running and even sometimes after I get home I think of all these things I'm gonna say, wanna say and never end up saying! :lol:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    1030 and I'm laying in bed in my running clothes. It's rained, may continue to. I've decided to scrap the bike today (unless it clears of by time i find my way out of these covers) and do a long run. Just can't get up long enough to make it to the car, to the park.. some one hit pause on the day while i find some motivation.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    We did have a couple of distractions at the beginning (technology issues and evidence of rattlesnakes on the trail (recent sheds)) and towards the end when a dog unexpectedly jumped through a broken fence/gate growling and barking, that scared the sh$t out of Hobbes and me. This particular dog has chased us before so I went directly to their house and complained. I am really getting tired of it. That and people being rude or not being able to control their dogs as was the case today. This particular dog has come after us before when the owner couldn't control him and it literally drags the guy down the street or trail.

Done ranting! I just need to get out even earlier than I did today, before all of these people are out or go a different route.

Boy can I relate! I carry pepper spray with me now. I've had two bad episodes - one dog broke his chain to come after my dog. Then there was the dog owner who chased me down in his car to swear and threaten me. That little episode happened after his two dogs ran out in the street, hair on end, growling, going in circles around my dog. His wife ran out to grab them but the dogs just kept dodging her. So I told her that I did have pepper spray and I would use it if I had to. Thus - the husband being mad at me. Go figure.

It is humorous how one's perspective changes when we spend so much time outside in elements!

So true! Last night I watched my grandkids (ages 5 and 5 - not twins - one biological, the other adopted) play soccer in the rain. No one seemed the least bit phased. LOVED it.

And the house looks great! Hope the inspection goes well.

I didn't run much this week or last. I could use a work schedule and weather as my excuse - but it really boils down to making excuses. One week and 13 miles to make my goal. I can do it!

exercise.png
  • mcw2018mfp
    mcw2018mfp Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Goal is 30 miles by the 30th.
    June 18- Easy 3 miles 35:10
    June 19- 3.2 miles 38:20 Took it easy- HIIT class tonight.
    June 20- Another easy 3 miles in 36:00 as I am sore from my knees to my neck from last nights HIIT class :#
    June 21- 4.65 Miles 47:12 Hill intervals
    June 22- Upper body strength. No run
    June 23- 3.95 miles 45:00 Intervals at race pace 400m;800m;1200m;1600m;800m; 3 min recoveries
  • ladysnickerdoo
    ladysnickerdoo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No running today but I did get a good walk in this morning before going to the dentist.
    Then off to the gym for strength training and 20 minutes on the bike. Gotta mow before it rains this afternoon then maybe I can take a break and relax for a few minutes...
    1.76 miles in 34 minutes.

exercise.png

• mcw2018mfp
    mcw2018mfp Posts: 84 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options

June Goals:
    200 running miles.
    IM 70.3 Training

June Running:
    05.28.18 - 06.03.18: Running Miles 41.5 / Weekly TSS 497 / Fitness: 71 CTL
    06.04.18 - 06.10.19: Running Miles 46.2 / Weekly TSS 601 / Fitness: 73 CTL
    06.11.18 - 06.17.18: Running Miles 49.3 Weekly TSS 725 / Fitness: 77 CTL
    06.18.18 - 06.24.18: Running Miles. / WeeklyTSS / Fitness: CTL

Goals 6/18/18 - 6/24/18:
    Run: ?

Base 1 : Week 3 of 4
    06.19.18 - 9 m.
    06.22.18 - 5 m.
    06.23.18 - 15.1 m. (New Castle Half Marathon plus 2)

Upcoming Events:
    06.30.18 Sat - Red, White, Bike - 32 miler