What nobody tells you about losing weight

1389390392394395563

Replies

  • Vicham76
    Vicham76 Posts: 59 Member
    Skinny me is having a harder time finding things that fit properly than fat me did. A lot of it is proportions slightly out of whack. But I was in a Target a few days back that had probably 50 belts each that were 32-36, 36-40 and 40-44 plus a few larger ones. They didn't have a single belt for 30". I even checked the boys' section and the XXL there was too small. I don't want to buy a new belt, then have to make a new hole and have all that excess. Ideally, I would like a 28 to 32 so I am in the middle and it looks nice. This seemed odd to me. I see lots of other grown men who look like they have a 30" or smaller waist. I finally found one that is stretchy and if I don't stretch it at all it looks okay.

    You can buy a belt that you cut to length, in the part that bites into the buckle. The end where the holes usually are has a built in backing for the mechanism. I have been cutting the length off as i go. You can shrink it down to the insert if you wanted to.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited June 2018
    VUA21 wrote: »
    How much harder I have to work out to burn the same number of calories so that I can have my treats. Yes, a lot of my workouts are because I want to eat something that would blow my deficit if I didn't. Now that I'm lighter, I have to run faster and farther.... Dangit!!! Now it takes me 45 minutes to get my ice cream instead of 30.

    This is the worst. I can walk 12 miles and only burn 300 calories :neutral: so to get an awesome burn I have to exercise for HOURS a day. Only burn ~180 per hour biking. It was much nicer when I burned 450 per hour, lol.

    Are you sure about that low burn number? 12 miles would take me 3 hours. I probably burn 200 just being awake for 3 hours. Or maybe you mean awake BMR + 300. Still seems really low.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,162 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    How much harder I have to work out to burn the same number of calories so that I can have my treats. Yes, a lot of my workouts are because I want to eat something that would blow my deficit if I didn't. Now that I'm lighter, I have to run faster and farther.... Dangit!!! Now it takes me 45 minutes to get my ice cream instead of 30.

    This is the worst. I can walk 12 miles and only burn 300 calories :neutral: so to get an awesome burn I have to exercise for HOURS a day. Only burn ~180 per hour biking. It was much nicer when I burned 450 per hour, lol.

    Are you sure about that low burn number? 12 miles would take me 3 hours. I probably burn 200 just being awake for 3 hours. Or maybe you mean awake BMR + 300. Still seems really low.

    I mean extra from the exercise alone not counting BMR. I am pretty sure because it is my apple watch and it has been pretty accurate although it does give me very low estimates for exercise. It always gives me my exercise burn and then burn - calories burnt just being alive.
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    edited June 2018
    Basic round number is that unless you are very thin you burn apx 100 cals per mile no matter your speed.
    As you lose weight you can keep the burn up by using more arms or lifting knees a bit higher
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,162 Member
    edited June 2018
    Teerai wrote: »
    Basic round number is that unless you are very thin you burn apx 100 cals per mile no matter your speed.
    As you lose weight you can keep the burn up by using more arms or lifting knees a bit higher

    I only burn around 35-45 calories per mile depending on my speed.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    157 pounds BMI ~24 maybe 65 calories per mile at 4+ mph
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    edited June 2018
    https://www.verywellfit.com/walking-calories-burned-by-miles-3887154

    It’s still a good basic rule of thumb for most people.

    I’ve seen the wackiest numbers come from technology gadgets.
    Steps can be the most random.
    I trust true distance and weight.
    Those numbers have been tested and retested over many years.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited June 2018
    Teerai wrote: »
    https://www.verywellfit.com/walking-calories-burned-by-miles-3887154

    It’s still a good basic rule of thumb for most people.

    I’ve seen the wackiest numbers come from technology gadgets.
    Steps can be the most random.
    I trust true distance and weight.
    Those numbers have been tested and retested over many years.

    OK, for me it says 727 (actually a little less since I weigh under 160) for 8 miles at 4 mph, which takes two hours. But being awake for two hours burns about 150, which mfp has already calculated into my base. So should I actually log 577 ? I generally log less than that. I usually log about 400. A few days back, I accepted mmw's fantasy number of 887 as I have been sliding a little lower. I do some voodoo with exercise numbers to try to keep my weight stable.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    edited June 2018
    Teerai wrote: »
    https://www.verywellfit.com/walking-calories-burned-by-miles-3887154

    It’s still a good basic rule of thumb for most people.

    I’ve seen the wackiest numbers come from technology gadgets.
    Steps can be the most random.
    I trust true distance and weight.
    Those numbers have been tested and retested over many years.

    OK, for me it says 727 (actually a little less since I weigh under 160) for 8 miles at 4 mph, which takes two hours. But being awake for two hours burns about 150, which mfp has already calculated into my base. So should I actually log 577 ? I generally log less than that. I usually log about 400. A few days back, I accepted mmw's fantasy number of 887 as I have been sliding a little lower. I do some voodoo with exercise numbers to try to keep my weight stable.

    If the walking is extra to what your activity level is set at then don't subtract out anything. aka if you are sedentary and go for you 8 miles walk then you would add all the calories. If you are set at active and the 8 miles walk is additional to your normal activities that puts your setting at active you still would add all the calories in.

    That being said, some people like to not eat all their exercise calories back or give themselves a little buffer when logging exercise. However it is good to know your starting point and if you are gaining or losing too fast or plateauing to adjust accordingly.