Serial Starters

Replies

• hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    edited June 2018
    Lana - I hadnt elaborated on it so you didnt miss anything. But here is the story:
    DH got call in middle of night last week from MIL with chest pains, etc. He took MIL to hospital. She hadnt been eating or taking meds correctly (if at all). She stayed at SIL house for 2 days then the decision was made to move her to our house. DH is home all day with her since he has his business at the house. He makes sure she eats & takes meds. Her daughter & husband both work outside the home and all bedrooms in their house are on second story. Her other son wants nothing to do with her, let alone have her at his home. So that left our house & DH. I came home from work one day and DH says "Mom is on way, she is coming out to stay with us." That was the extent of any "discussion." Just had to suck it up and march on. (have only locked myself away in bedroom with a bottle of wine and netflix one night so far! LOL)

it is a rather weird and somewhat uncomfortable situation because due to a bunch of crazy Jerry Springer-worthy family drama on her part, DH and siblings had cut her out of their lives. so after 12 years of no contact, she is now living in our house. :/

Her health seems to be improving. She has been eating my protein shakes and I have been putting protein powder in her stuff like yogurt & ice cream. Last doctor appt she weighed 82 pounds, up from 80. Doctor said short term goal is to get her to 90 pounds with ultimate goal of 110. Not sure if she will actually be able to live independently. Supposedly my SIL is looking into home healthcare or some other arrangements. Hope something can be worked out soon.

Sara - no money from in-laws. MIL is on Medicare or Medicaid or whatever so all meds paid for. She still doesn't eat much so grocery bill not up too much yet.

Its killing me though with all the junk food we got to try and entice her to eat. Am trying soooooo hard to ignore it. So far, so good. I am actually down one pound this week. Will keep at it.

Dawn - i did not get the deck done before the rain started. since i am now the only one working on it, it has to wait until i get home from work. which has been late this week since my supervisor is out and stuff falls on me. now i have to wait for at least 2 nice days in a row to let it dry out before I can start back in on it. forecast says some rain almost every day. it will take awhile but i will get it done eventually - just hopefully before winter! :D
    on a day when you have time, try making your own frozen pizzas - make & bake crust about 10 min, then add toppings, and freeze while on pizza pan/cookie sheet. remove from pan & wrap it tight in plastic wrap and pop in freezer. then when you want a fast meal, you have something homemade.

waves to everyone who drops in!!

*taking advantage of the extra fluffing & fanning ordered by Lana*

CW 157.5
    HW 216
    GW 145
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Kathryn - that is a lot to take in... wow... hope MIL is able to get some help at least, to ease the burden on you. I know, from experience, how much being sole caregiver can really weigh on a person. Good thoughts to you for this. Bummer about the rain not holding out. We finally got it here... really cooled us off... that is a great idea about pizzas... never thought of that... thanks

https://DawnLeach.Scentsy.us/party/9352755
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,719 Member
    THURSDAY

Good morning,

Aahh, I can work whatever I want in my work file again..... Tues/Wed are designated for the higher $$.

Upper 90-106 for the next 4 days and air is "kitten" so windows closed and took my jug to work to walk home with.

Dawn - homegrown tomatoes are the best and yes mayo is better. Check out the sodium in your frozen pizzas. My compromise when I started WW was to make pizzas using pita bread, canned sauce, light string cheese, chopped broccoli, other vegetables, and sometimes if in the house canadian bacon. Not a bad size and way less sodium. Good job on walking!!

Wave to all who follow. Lurking this Thursday from work....

I have used pitas, english muffins and most recently I have used tortilla shells. I only like cheese, sauce and a little pepperoni so the tortilla shell is strong enough to support it. I use the broil to melt the cheese fast otherwise the shell overcooks.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,719 Member
    My parents took my Dad's Mom in when I was young, it took a toll on my Mom. My Grandmother was nasty to her. My Grandmother had 7 kids and only 3 of them would take her in. It's a toll on any family I think.

Love the pizza idea!
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,325 Member
    Good evening,

Kathryn, appreciate the update. if she likes peanut butter consider putting PB2 in oatmeal/yogurt. Protein drinks like ensure etc are a great base to start with. Wow she sounds underweight. We have In Home Support Services here that is state funded (you sometimes get what you pay for.....) - does she get Social Security? That would help with paying for resources... a lot to do at once. You are awesome for being flexible. This could be a very strange way of realizing what you are grateful for......but then I have odd thoughts sometimes. You get extra woohoo points for the idea of making and freezing pizzas - *snapping fingers cboys have a surprise for you!!! Hey Lana - she needs one of those cboy care packages, knock on their door will you??

Tomorrow and Saturday 104 and 106 - seriously "kitten" time. My bubba coffee jug filled with ice water "dry run" walking home today did very well...

Off to knit and wind down from a really stupid work day.

Hope everyone has a good night.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    ej9lctdvq9sg.png

Miss T - couldnt resist

2alkfpet0cdf.png

and the oldie but goodie

oie61581ulpn.png

• Tilliesmommy1
    FRIDAY

Good morning,

HOT temps today and tomorrow 104 and 106 - and luckily it is low humidity under 25%. But still icky.

Dog was up earlier and I tried to go back to sleep, no such luck, maybe after breakfast??

Wave to all who follow. Lurking from work.
  • 5lambert
    5lambert Posts: 19 Member
    We had storms last night so I slept well, but still wimped out on going to a new exercise class this morning. I could do more summers being off work but instead seem to do less. We do walk the dogs every day, but that's not long or fast. Maybe some pool time and not just lounging in it :)
  • steph81881
    steph81881 Posts: 50 Member
    5lambert wrote: »
    We had storms last night so I slept well, but still wimped out on going to a new exercise class this morning. I could do more summers being off work but instead seem to do less. We do walk the dogs every day, but that's not long or fast. Maybe some pool time and not just lounging in it :)

I bought a gym membership recently and am trying to get motivated to go! It's true that the less you do the less you do... or one of my favs... if you want something done, ask a busy person. I get so much done when I'm busy.. but if I'm not I tend to just lounge around. My job has alot of down time and I need to make myself more busy during those times so I'm not just sitting and eating! Hopefully this group can help!
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,835 Member

Welcome to the new peeps!

Waves to all the old ones, LOL!
    Kathryn, that is some story. Hang in there dear.

I am feeling really awful today - no exercise for me. Yesterday I totaled 4 miles of walking--so did Sara! and Miss Tillie!

OK, back to bed with me.

* snapping fingers to have Cabana Boys take care of all of you *

Lana

238.6 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal
  • Tilliesmommy1
    SATURDAY

Good morning,

Lana - that is a lot of walking. 105 today will be inside before lunch and just stay there.

Zucchini enchiladas, and chicken salad (chicken, apple, mayo etc) on menu to make for next week.

Dog is taken care of and I can get a couple more hours of sleep.

BBL
  • LanaCabana537

Sara - the chicken salad sounds good. On my own, I wouldn't think to put apple in there to give it some crunch and a little sweetness for summer. I have everything in the fridge. Hmmm...

That 105 high today sounds like way too much to be out in.
    Does it cool down at night or at dawn that you could walk then, or is it almost just as hot?

Waving to everyone who stops by later on~~

Lana

237.6 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal
  • 5lambert
    steph81881 wrote: »
    5lambert wrote: »

I bought a gym membership recently and am trying to get motivated to go! It's true that the less you do the less you do... or one of my favs... if you want something done, ask a busy person. I get so much done when I'm busy.. but if I'm not I tend to just lounge around. My job has alot of down time and I need to make myself more busy during those times so I'm not just sitting and eating! Hopefully this group can help!

My job is pretty sedentary too and my hobbies are sitting ones. We have Y memberships (switched from Curves when my husband had some health issues and his doctor said he needed to start exercising.) It helps that we like one together (water aerobics) as it was too easy to skip stuff I just did alone. We also walk the dogs every day but short as we also have a fenced dog yard for them.
  • 5lambert
    Sara - the chicken salad sounds good. On my own, I wouldn't think to put apple in there to give it some crunch and a little sweetness for summer. I have everything in the fridge. Hmmm...

That 105 high today sounds like way too much to be out in.
    Does it cool down at night or at dawn that you could walk then, or is it almost just as hot?

Waving to everyone who stops by later on~~

Lana

237.6 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal

Our local Lowe's foods has a delicious chicken salad. They add tumeric I think and grapes and some kind of nuts. Not the lowest calorie but white meat chicken and not a ton of mayo so not bad.
  • LanaCabana537

5Lambert - Those Lowe's salads sound good. I like putting some fruit and nuts into salads. Anything to keep things interesting.

I would love to go for a walk right now, but it is still 90 degrees at 6:45PM here. I am water-logged from the pool.

My estranged DH is making me very sad and upset, and I don't want to just sit in the house. I'm also very tired. I wish I had a car; I'd go for a little ride.....
    *sniff*

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    lana and 5lambert - thank you I will now add the rest of the peanuts I have in the house - also get some celery.....
    hope you do get a walk in - they say its only 100 dont believe them, but I did get a little extra walk in.

Oatmeal for dinner which is fair as I had the hamburger and fries for breakfast - I wanted a hamburger but it was going to be too hot to imagine......

• arniedog74
    Lana - hugs to you... I'll never understand, why the ones we love(d) seem to not be bothered when they hurt those that truly love them. Maybe another swim if no walk?
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Lana slowly train yourself to include walking/exercise as a way of "washing that man right out of your hair" so that what you eat doesnt stay around as long.

Dog drank so much water that pit stops are necessary tonight..... back later.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    SUNDAY

Good morning, windows open with fans on high 10 degrees cooler outside. Temps in 90's today.

Will have to go back to ATT store to buy data for phone, will price the cards at Safeway while I am there. Starbucks right next to ATT (arent they everywhere - although I did hear about some getting closed??) so I will use the gift card I have - ATT opens at 11.

Dog to Vet today - they usually have me come in after 2. So add chicken salad and zucchini enchiladas and there is my day - oh maybe a nap??

Wishing all a great day. BBL.
  • arniedog74
    Sara - I am always surprised when you mention taking dog to Vet on a Sunday...we have none open on Sundays around here... there is only one Vet open till 1:00pm on Saturday... the rest of us close at noon. After that, you are considered an emergency.... including emergency prices :(