July 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    No idea on goals for July. I have a dance festival the beginning of the month, and a HM the end of the month, but it’s a bit more of a casual month for me. Lots going on.

Hmmm.... I think you should stop equivocating and go for at least 63 miles. You get 13 of those in a race, leaving just 50 to do in 3 weeks. You could dance that much at the festival...lol
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    No idea on goals for July. I have a dance festival the beginning of the month, and a HM the end of the month, but it’s a bit more of a casual month for me. Lots going on.

Hmmm.... I think you should stop equivocating and go for at least 63 miles. You get 13 of those in a race, leaving just 50 to do in 3 weeks. You could dance that much at the festival...lol

Fair point. And yeah, given we have six hours of workshops AS WELL as social dancing, I’ll be averaging 10 miles a day of the festival.

Ok. 63 it is!! That’s suspiciously similar to what I achieved in June, but then I barely ran for three weeks having lost all motivation...
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    I didn't make goal last month so I'm dropping back to 45km for the month. We are at the beginning of a 8 day heat wave so not much running for me I'd think.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    @LaDispute57 - just need to run around and around and around on that cruise ship deck!
    Just imagine the GPS Strava map for that - loops in the middle of the ocean.

Goal for July 150km

Lots of it in the mountains as I start 3 weeks of Vacation today and the Emperor's Challenge Mountain HM is my next event - actually it's my A Event for the season unless something else jumps up and hits me.
    Off to my brothers Cabin at Slave Lake for a few days for some electrical wiring and then into Tumbler Ridge, Grande Prairie ( Evergreen Park Sand dunes ) Grand Cache ( Canadian Death Race Trails I hope ) and Jasper ( Skyline Trail and Nigel pass ) so will have very limited cell coverage and no PC unless I get to a library.
    @juliet3455 - this made me laugh out loud! Also running in those mountains sounds wonderful! Have a great vacation. Can't wait to read the race report on the Emperor's Challenge!

@garygse - Had to smile that 250 miles is your cut back month for the middle of summer in Texas!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I want to give this a try. My goal this year was to start running again. I started this month (June) and have been slowly working up. While I'm not the best at it and can't go very far yet, I was able to run (jog?) most of a mile the other day while on my 3 mile walk/run.
    This may motivate me to get out there more and keep going.
    So the goal I am setting myself as I am still new to running is for 30 miles in July. I'm not an everyday runner yet so I think this is achievable for me at the moment.

Welcome, @monkeygirl08 ! Don't give it a second thought that you don't run every day. It takes years and years to do that, and even then, the jury is out if it's advisable. Rest days are very important - that's when your body heals and gets stronger.

Good luck! Are you doing Couch to 5K? That's a great way to start.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    I'm in for another 175.
  • monkeygirl08
    monkeygirl08 Posts: 2,109 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    I want to give this a try. My goal this year was to start running again. I started this month (June) and have been slowly working up. While I'm not the best at it and can't go very far yet, I was able to run (jog?) most of a mile the other day while on my 3 mile walk/run.
    This may motivate me to get out there more and keep going.
    So the goal I am setting myself as I am still new to running is for 30 miles in July. I'm not an everyday runner yet so I think this is achievable for me at the moment.

Welcome, @monkeygirl08 ! Don't give it a second thought that you don't run every day. It takes years and years to do that, and even then, the jury is out if it's advisable. Rest days are very important - that's when your body heals and gets stronger.

Good luck! Are you doing Couch to 5K? That's a great way to start.

@Orphia Thanks for the support! I did C25K about 7 years ago and was thinking of starting it back up. I wasn't able to get past week 7 I think because of my knee. So far, I've just been making my own way. I'll run until I cant, then walk until I talk myself into running again. The distance I've been able to run get further every day I'm out there, if not, then at least every other. I rotate the walking and running at my own pace and timing.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Welcome @Avidkeo and @monkeygirl08
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    So I've started videoing my runs and they're really bouncy as you would expect given I'm holding a cell phone in my hand to record. Has anybody else here recorded runs, or even bike rides or skiing for that matter? What sort of gear do you use if so? I would like to invest in equipment that doesn't give viewers motion sickness as at this point I think my videos are easier to listen to than to watch and podcast isn't really what I'm going for.

(Channel is Run Sarah Run on YouTube if anyone is interested.)
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,428 Member
    Will try to hit 80 miles in July. Just being conservative with my Achilles and come back slowly.
    Welcome @Avidkeo and @monkeygirl08

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    So I've started videoing my runs and they're really bouncy as you would expect given I'm holding a cell phone in my hand to record. Has anybody else here recorded runs, or even bike rides or skiing for that matter? What sort of gear do you use if so? I would like to invest in equipment that doesn't give viewers motion sickness as at this point I think my videos are easier to listen to than to watch and podcast isn't really what I'm going for.

(Channel is Run Sarah Run on YouTube if anyone is interested.)

I think most people use a GoPro for that type of video.

I was watching your video from last night and nodding along with the shoe talk. And wishing I could run that path. Looks nice!