July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I posted this before...a slideshow from a couple of years ago... two ultras... I love trail running...
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=RLyphBuSBic
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new folks, glad to have you on board with us. It's a fun and talkative group, so just jump right in.

July is going to start out super hot, and with a race next weekend. I am just running this one for fun with a friend, so will not likely try to get a certain time. I've heard it's a fun race and a big party, so I'm just hoping for not too awfully hot. I may do another race later in the month that has both 5k and 10k options - probably the 5k because I haven't done a 5k in a long while and would kind of like to see how I do.

Not sure how to set my goal, exactly. June was my highest mileage month and I should be building (marathon is 17 weeks away), but July only has 4 weekends. Let's just say 130 miles as an initial goal.

I still need to figure out a September half marathon. I am on the waitlist for Wineglass half on 9/30. I would really like to do one the weekend of 9/15 but haven't come up any definite possibilities. Seems like every race I want to do is the next weekend, when I have work trip to Boston - but no races in Boston that would work for me on those dates.

Upcoming races:
    7/8/18 Boilermaker 15K, Utica NY
    7/28/18 Chocolate Challenge 5k (or 10K?, not yet signed up)
    8/19/18 Falmouth Road Race (7 miles), Falmouth, MA
    8/26/18 18.12 Challenge, Sackets Harbor, NY??? (not yet signed up)
    10/28/18 Marine Corps Marathon, Arlington VA

@katharmonic if there are no races, you could always come and do a parkrun.

http://www.parkrun.us/jamaicapond/
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @katharmonic if there are no races, you could always come and do a parkrun.

http://www.parkrun.us/jamaicapond/

Oh, fun idea! I may just do that!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    So question,

I am doing the 5-10k program because I want to fill the next 6 weeks before I start my 12 week half marathon training, and this gives me something to concentrate on. Its 3 runs a week, think C25K but its 5-10k instead. it starts as a 6k run - with a couple of walks, and quickly increases to 8,9 then 10. Im adding a long run on the weekends as well as I usually run 7-8km without a break as a long run anyway. ETA my usual weekday running is around 3-4km at my lunch break (it includes a really steep hill which helps keep my fitness up lol) but the last couple of weeks I havent been able to get out due to sickness and weather. I am changing my running to the evenings and will be running regardless of the weather.

Does this seem sensible? I know I could just get out 4 times a week and run what ever distance, but the advantage of the program is it gives me something to focus on. I am worried I'm going backwards rather than progressing by doing this.

Thoughts?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I posted this before...a slideshow from a couple of years ago... two ultras... I love trail running...
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=RLyphBuSBic

Super-nice.

Hey, I watched "Kurt Meltzer: Made to be Broken" on Netflix yesterday, about his attempt to beat Scott Jurek's Appalachian Trail 46 day record.

Really awesome. I recommend it, guys.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    July 1

11 km (6.8 miles) in 1:06:49

First half was uphill with several photo stops of the sunrise.

Second half was back again, pushing harder, with no photo stops.

j7c9xs93xdyp.jpg
    wsrw9me8vqez.jpg
    48gy7qp5xvo4.jpg

Where abouts are you Orphia, guessing NZ/AUS? Awesome pics!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @garygse I set you as an administrator on Strava. We seem to have a few on hiatus.

Hope you don't mind @Stoshew71 :wink:
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Cool...what's the pay like? :wink:
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2018
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Cool...what's the pay like? :wink:

You get paid in miles of admiration :smiley:

ETA Fringe benefits are Club Posts and paid vacations to any place your mind can take you.
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Group Question???

How long have you been running? Do you have a story to share?

I was listening to dh today, a bit frustrated with his perceived lack of progress. Those that have been here long enough, recognize that speed and distance are something thats fought for daily in a never ending training cycle. Not mearly won after a month or two of serious effort. The pay off is always seemingly just out of reach. Yet we all continue to strive to conquer that one more mile, just a little bit faster. Or in short that PR.

So, here we are midway through the year and before long it'll be cold (or hot), we'll be upon another season of tempting holiday foods, listening to friends and colleagues pledge that the next year will be met with great improvement, assessing our personal gains and losses, and reflecting on friendships we treasure through running.

Where are you in this journey?

(@shanaber, @RunsOnEspresso, others- hours of Parts Unknown. Meant to be read in the voice of Anthony Bourdain)
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Missed goal by a lot last month. In for 50 miles this month. Also continue with 2 x per week weight lifting.