Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do you feel about fasting?

Options

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have trouble eating enough calories without being sickeningly full within that window.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Since the feeling of being satisfied is triggered by a full stomach, I will about once every 6 months fast for a 36 hour period. I’ll have a light supper then fast the entire next day and on the third day have a light breakfast. I might have a small glass of juice on the fasting day but otherwise only water (and coffee lol)

It shrinks my stomach, and allows me to be satisfied on less food intake. The missing calories for one day don’t make much of a difference but the longer term reduction is what helps.

I have read a lot of different studies on fasting and think it all comes down to reduced calories overall. However since everyone’s metabolism is different some people may find reducing cravings from an IF regime and others may find that their cravings are reduced by a grazing type of eating plan. Some people may also find the time limits on when to eat also help on their cravings, they get used to not being able to eat at certain times and are not hungry at those times because their bodies are used to not eating then. It’s like only being hungry for breakfast foods at breakfast time, it is just what you are used to having then. If IF it works for you then do it.

Flushing toxins is just a lot of BS. Our bodies are already great at eliminating waste and all we need to keep that part functioning is eat sufficient insoluble fibre, what my parents called roughage, and drink lots of water to keep the process moving along so to speak.

I find this comment really helpful. In that what works for some won’t work for all. For some people fasting works great. I really enjoy it. For others not so much. I have tried the grazing lifestyle and that did not work for me. I found myself constantly wanting to eat, because I wasn’t used to constantly eating. Thus, constantly going over calories. However, I do think if you choose to do IF, you still need to watch your calorie intake. Because it would be very easy to pack in way too much food in that eight hours and end up gaining.
  • LeeshaSeal
    LeeshaSeal Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    LeeshaSeal wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    blarue2 wrote: »
    I have read different articles and different ideas about fasting and intermittent fasting. I think within reason it can be a great way to cleanse the body and to "reset" your mechanisms. I also think it can be dangerous. What are your thoughts?

Do it because you enjoy doing that diet, not because of the so-called benefits. Every diet have their pro's and cons. Your goal is to be at a caloric deficit (if you want to lose weight), then you chose whatever diet helps you stick with that deficit. Simple as that. What's the point of doing a diet if you don't enjoy it, but do it based on the so-called benefits??? What usually ends up happening is that people end up binging again.

The IF community doesn't believe it to be diet but a lifestyle

Problem is people are cultish when it comes to diets, wheter it's the keto community, the IF community or any diet community for that matter, it's all the same, they behave the same way and spread bs the same way. Caloric deficit is all that matters in the end. Doing IF won't give you an advantage over any other diet for weight loss, no diet is the best diet to lose weight and as I stated previously, if you hate doing IF, there is no point in doing IF when there are other countless ways to lose ways to lose weight. At the end of the day, the one and only true constant is that you need to be at a caloric deficit.

By the way, I have been doing bulking and cutting for 5 years now, I have tried different diets (including IF) just for experiment and I can tell you that not one diet stood out for me, they all gave me the same results with the same weight loss rate at the same number of calories (I usually cut at 2400 calories).

I agree. It's easy to get obsessed. And that's awesome that you found what works for you! What truly appeals to me regarding IF is that so many people maintain their loss. It becomes second nature to them. We'll see. I'm going to give it a good 6 months.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I follow the 8:16 plan in that I'm asleep for 8 and allow myself to eat the other 16.

I follow the 12:12 plan. I am done eating at 8PM and I "break the fast" at 8AM, and sometimes later than that. I don't believe in fasting for any other reason that for medical tests or procedures. I don't eat a big breakfast but I do need to eat in the morning to function properly. But to each its own.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Not nearly as good as I feel about eating!