July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    This thread is moving fast :) but I guess it always does that at the beginning of the month. Don't be one of the people who gives up and quits halfway through the month!!!

Met my friend to run C25k w5d1 today, and found out she didn't do her 2 runs while I was out of town. I was afraid that would happen, but I stuck to what I had warned her would happen if she didn't do them. I said "oh no, because now we're running for 9 minutes", started my timer and off we went. In other words, we didn't go back to the workouts she missed, we moved right on to the next week. She seemed to do alright, and we did take it slow. QUESTION: Those of you who are motivated by working out with a friend - how do you make yourself get out of bed on days when no one is waiting for you?

I counted the run with my friend, and then tacked a little more on afterwards. It was slow, including the part I did by myself, but I'm still sore and wanted to take it easy, so it was probably just about right. My race calendar is looking a little empty, though. I think I'm OK with that - for now!

exercise.png

Upcoming race:
    7/16 CityTrail OnTour 5k
  • Iffiormana
    Iffiormana Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Iffiormana wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    I walk minimum of 5miles daily so in a month I can do 150miles.I will try to do 150 may be a bit more or a bit less can’t say yet.

So, I do not know your level of fitness or training, but if you are newish or even intermediate to this you will want to make sure you are taking at least 1 rest day a week. It is way too easy to overdo it and burn out or get hurt. Just something to consider. Some of us (including me when schedule permits) do run every day for big stretches, but by far most runners only run 3 or 4 days a week.
    I try to run 5miles but but obviously I can’t so I just take small breaks in between or start walking when gets really tired.
    No I don’t take rest days and I’m really fine with doing this,it’s helping me loose weight.
    I don’t over exert myself :)

Anyone else a bit worried about this?

@Iffiormana Are you saying you walk 5 miles every day and are now going to run every day? I hope not.

Rest days are when your muscles get stronger and faster. You can walk on rest days, but you shouldn't run, and if you're a beginner you should only run 3 days a week.
    Oh no no no,may be I came out unclear.I run & walk for 5miles daily.May be running would be 1-1.5miles & high pace walk for 3.5miles.
    I didn’t understood that people here are just talking about running.My bad !!

How long have you been doing that? Are you doing Couch to 5K?
    Oh I forget to mention that even during running I take breaks and slow down my pace a few times.I can’t run constantly for more than a mile yet.

If you've been doing this for a year, and you still can't run constantly for more than a mile, you're running too fast. Slow down, and your range will get longer.
    Yeah that’s what I think.I run for a mile then walk for half a mile at high pace and then again repeat.Actually I’m doing this for a year but my diet was horrible so wasn’t loosing weight but now I’m keeping my calories low and loosing weight so I can get better at running.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq - Congrats on your sub 10 mile!! Your BIL is definitely giving you good advice to avoid the sidewalks. In addition to being a harder surface, they also generally have more trip hazards and sometimes decapitation threats from tree limbs. And I believe the word you are looking for is camber. If you run on the streets or on a loop path, it is also good to run in different directions so that you are not always turning on the same leg. This is more likely to have an impact on your knees, whereas camber is more likely to affect your hips and back. If you run in neighborhoods with cul-de-sacs, alternate the direction in which you turn on every cul-de-sac to help balance out the impact on your knees.

Camber, yes, thank you! I was initially a little skeptical about how much difference it could really make, but then my BIL pointed out that if I run 10 miles a week and take winters off, that's 250-350 miles a year and the little differences in how I'm landing will add up if I keep doing the same paths in the same directions over and over again. I've already got something wonky happening with my gait landing harder on my right foot so I'd rather not exacerbate that. I figure doing out and back for the shorter runs will help, and then make sure to change up the direction on my longer loops- I'd like to keep all my joints as healthy as possible for as long as possible.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Thanks, bud! Glad to see you are still around. I hope things get better for you...but then again life has been getting in my way for six decades now...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Excellent!

On running the same direction: My normal week-day route ends up being mostly around a loop at the city park. The loop has a couple options in the middle, so I can do figure 8's or just the outside loop, or whatever. I try to mix it up to avoid boredom and to not tun the same way every time. I still get some boredom, and I don't exactly track how many times I go each direction but hope that my random changes are enough.

My biggest problem, however, is that my right leg is shorter than my left leg. I spent years (more than a decade) with back pain before figuring that out. It made sense once I knew because the back pain is so much worse after long hikes/walks/runs or just time on my feet. I do notice it when I'm standing straight on level ground. Unfortunately, I don't know what I can actually do about it. So I just end up dealing with pain and re-aligning my back regularly. If I lay on my back and move the right way on a foam roller, I can get it pretty much back to where it should be again. Unfortunately, I just have to redo this often. Every few days when it gets bad enough to bother me or every few hours if I really want to get it right.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    Yeah that’s what I think.I run for a mile then walk for half a mile at high pace and then again repeat.Actually I’m doing this for a year but my diet was horrible so wasn’t loosing weight but now I’m keeping my calories low and loosing weight so I can get better at running.
    Not picking on you...just trying to help here. Be careful about low calories and running. It is perfectly fine to have a calorie deficit, but don't go crazy to focus on losing weight. You need enough calories to sustain your running, otherwise you will not have the endurance to run optimally.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem, however, is that my right leg is shorter than my left leg. I spent years (more than a decade) with back pain before figuring that out. It made sense once I knew because the back pain is so much worse after long hikes/walks/runs or just time on my feet. I do notice it when I'm standing straight on level ground. Unfortunately, I don't know what I can actually do about it. So I just end up dealing with pain and re-aligning my back regularly. If I lay on my back and move the right way on a foam roller, I can get it pretty much back to where it should be again. Unfortunately, I just have to redo this often. Every few days when it gets bad enough to bother me or every few hours if I really want to get it right.

Can you wear insole in your right shoe to balance you out?
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    also @MNLittleFinn, was reading the Wunjo blog and noticed a familiar name. Congrats
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hugs for all the awesome support! This was a nice way to start off July.

@MegaMooseEsq Excellent!

On running the same direction: My normal week-day route ends up being mostly around a loop at the city park. The loop has a couple options in the middle, so I can do figure 8's or just the outside loop, or whatever. I try to mix it up to avoid boredom and to not tun the same way every time. I still get some boredom, and I don't exactly track how many times I go each direction but hope that my random changes are enough.

I can see how that would create problems! My sister has the same issue but found out about it in high school after failing a scoliosis screening, so she's had time to adjust - I think she wears a lift most of the time. I'm not sure what is going on with my gait but I definitely wear through my right shoes quickly and have been working with mild knee pain primarily in my right knee related to both lifting and running.

madisenb wrote: »
    The goal is to run 50 miles this month!

I'm going to try to get at least two good outside morning runs in a week. We'll see how far that gets me. ;)

Welcome to the challenge and to the 50 mile club! I believe the current members are myself, @amgreenwell, @ahelgers10, @bride001, @mcw2018mfp, @ereck44, @Teerai, and @hanlonsk.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I’m in Huntsville, Alabama
    @garygse feel better, been there, ugh
    @shanaber I hear you are going to get some really hot stuff over the next few days
    Great job @MegaMooseEsq