July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Glacier Ridge Ultra(50k) this year was my first trail race and my first ultra. So I guess that means it will hold a special place in my life forever or something. :)

Yep. It's a rule.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Finally looked at the course map for my half in August and I don't think I've ever run anything that flat... PR time?

26ssis28usrd.png

My gosh. Is it even really a HM if it is that flat? I mean seriously.

Don't say that! The one I'm training for starts on a gentle climb for the first 5k or so, then is a very gently downhill from there. 😂

Kerikeri? That’s an awesome half. Guaranteed PB as long as it’s not too humid. Done it three times and hoping to fit it in again this year.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    7/1: 4.5 miles
    7/3: 2.5 miles

Total: 7/85

Upcoming Races:
    Wineglass Marathon 9/30

Treadmill run since the weather is stormy. I really despise treadmills.

There are ZERO races tomorrow in my area. I plan to run my own personal 10K at the park instead.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    July goals 60 miles. Work up to 5 minutes of running. Bike often. Rehab smart.

1---5.52 mtn bike
    2---2.09 run 3(4,4)
    3---5.58 mtn bike

MILES
    Running 2.1
    Cycling/MTN bike 11.1

Upcoming Races
    July 22 Draper Lake Duathlon (3k,22.5k,3k). Norman OK
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    07/01/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 3.1
    07/02/18 :::: 5.5 :::: 8.6
    07/03/18 :::: 3.0 :::: 11.5

Waited until early evening to run, and it was still plenty hot. I had planned for a little longer but it was really not feeling great at all, so I called it done.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Finally looked at the course map for my half in August and I don't think I've ever run anything that flat... PR time?

26ssis28usrd.png

Don't say that! The one I'm training for starts on a gentle climb for the first 5k or so, then is a very gently downhill from there. 😂

Kerikeri? That’s an awesome half. Guaranteed PB as long as it’s not too humid. Done it three times and hoping to fit it in again this year.

yep Kerikeri! Lol. well It should be a PB as the only other HM Ive ever done was 3hr 7min in wellington in 2011 - that was hell, I did not train properly, walked over half of it, it was POURING down with a head wind in both directions (u shaped course) and was only 10 degrees. I would have happily quit at 15k but had to get to the end because my ride home was there. Hence all my questions about training for this one - I want to do it in 2.5 hrs or less, and I want to run the whole thing. Hopefully you can make it!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options

26ssis28usrd.png

yep Kerikeri! Lol. well It should be a PB as the only other HM Ive ever done was 3hr 7min in wellington in 2011 - that was hell, I did not train properly, walked over half of it, it was POURING down with a head wind in both directions (u shaped course) and was only 10 degrees. I would have happily quit at 15k but had to get to the end because my ride home was there. Hence all my questions about training for this one - I want to do it in 2.5 hrs or less, and I want to run the whole thing. Hopefully you can make it!

Piece of cake!! Plenty of time to train. Word of warning, however, that's a 7km uphill at the start and while it's fairly gentle, you are running on cold legs. I would recommend plenty of hill training in the coming months. Also, the last five k's are flat, which after around nine k's downhill are a real mind *kitten*.

The event has a great atmosphere. It's a nice smallish field (especially for those of us who've run Auckland three weeks before with its monster crowds). What makes it especially awesome that they close the road for most of it (eliminating camber issues) and you get to enjoy the countryside and the cow smells and everything. Also, the fudge factory a few k's from the end always has a few people handing out samples!!! Can't lose really.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7/3- Couch to 10K Day 1 completes. 1.57miles is better than 0 miles so I’ll take it 🙏🏾🙌🏾

Total: 1.57/30

that's awesome! nice running
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Thanks! And the price is sweet, too! And I haven't seen Jessica or LittleFinn since I have been back....

I'm around here, just life getting in the way. Wunjo products are pretty awesome. They are literally a brand new company, so some kinks are getting worked out. Add to that the fact that it takes about 2 weeks for packages to come from Norway, and it can take a little while for things to arrive. That said, I've been running in my X2 and LOVE it. Hands down it's my favorite vest. I normally hate running with a reservoir, but with my X2, it's easy. The vest is super light, perfect for shorter distances under 50k.

If I recall right the X2 is a bit smaller than the X5. I got the X5 because I have a belt that holds 40ish oz of liquid and was looking for a big step up for times when I am really thirsty. :D But I suspect both packs are essentially the same other than that.

@LaDispute57 here is the X5 with two water bottles added...

jfydvote6q7i.png
    jwe6nvj5vywn.png
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo What healthcare do you do? I also work in healthcare and totally get your phone's autocorrect!

Anyone else in healthcare here? I am one of only two runners (that we are aware of) in my hospital.

My race is in the morning. I am excited because there are over 700 runners and that's the biggest race I have ever participated in!

I hope everyone has a grand time with their races tomorrow!

Sun 7/1 crosstrain: 60 minutes elliptical
    Mon 7/2 run: 3.15 miles
    Tue 7/3 crosstrain: 60 minutes elliptical
    3.15 of 60 completed

UPCOMING RACES
    July 4th - Firecracker 5k
    August 25th - Camp New Hope 10k
    September 7th - 5k Glow Run
  • Avidkeo
    Options

26ssis28usrd.png

Piece of cake!! Plenty of time to train. Word of warning, however, that's a 7km uphill at the start and while it's fairly gentle, you are running on cold legs. I would recommend plenty of hill training in the coming months. Also, the last five k's are flat, which after around nine k's downhill are a real mind *kitten*.

The event has a great atmosphere. It's a nice smallish field (especially for those of us who've run Auckland three weeks before with its monster crowds). What makes it especially awesome that they close the road for most of it (eliminating camber issues) and you get to enjoy the countryside and the cow smells and everything. Also, the fudge factory a few k's from the end always has a few people handing out samples!!! Can't lose really.

@ContraryMaryMary Fortunately my training run has a couple of decent hills, and right at the beginning usually. I've driven the course just last week to get an idea of the rises, and I'm going to include in my training a couple of other hills as well. When I start doing my longer than 10k runs, I plan on doing the hill bit twice - its about 2k ish - then do the flats after. try and replicate the course a little.

Oh I like the sound of the fudge, I wish Makana (the chocolate place) did that. their Macadamia toffee crunch is so incredibly decadent...

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 15.0 km
    7/2 - rest, 2 km walk
    7/3 - 5.1 km

20.1/120 km

I didn't have time to call Garmin today so I will take care of it tomorrow. I charged my old Fitbit Blaze instead so I would have something to track my daily overall activity until I can replace the Garmin, and I used Strava on my phone to track my run today.

Easy 5ish km today. Hal Higdon half marathon Novice 2, week 6 day 1.

I was Googling around the internet and found a bunch of race pictures of myself from earlier this year. So that was fun.

Road Race #1 (I was sick): https://www.flickr.com/photos/mecedmonton/41348736374/in/album-72157690975744190/

Trail Race #2: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mecedmonton/40591064010/in/album-72157697340344375/

Trail Race #3:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/mecedmonton/43032052422/in/album-72157698497987225/

No vlog today because I had a strong headwind and didn't think the mic would pick up my voice over the howling. I'm leaning towards just doing a weekly recap for now until I can get a gimbal.

2018 Races: (italics means not registered yet, only pondering)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K 1:30:57
    3/17/28 St Patrick's Day race 10K 1:24:53
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon 3:05:55
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5Kish 1:00:00? (Or 48:45...)
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10Kish 1:56:15
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 10Kish 2:03:15
    7/1/18 Canada Day 15K 2:03:04
    7/28/18 Idaho Peak 10K Trail Race
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon (Half Marathon)
    8/25/18 MEC Trail Race #4 10Kish
    9/22/18 Heartbeat Run 10K
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15Kish
    12/1/18 Santa Shuffle
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Brutal! That's like my total fluid intake for the entire day!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    AprilRN10 wrote: »
    @Avidkeo What healthcare do you do? I also work in healthcare and totally get your phone's autocorrect!

Anyone else in healthcare here? I am one of only two runners (that we are aware of) in my hospital.

My race is in the morning. I am excited because there are over 700 runners and that's the biggest race I have ever participated in!

3.15 of 60 completed

UPCOMING RACES

@AprilRN10 I'm a radiographer, who is also doing post graduate study so the word Pleural is being used a LOT! lol

I hope your race goes well!!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    I did 10 miles tonight with temp. of 91F, humidity 79%, dew point 77F. It was slow and there was a lot of walking mixed in... it took nearly 2 hours to do 10 miles. Normally I'm slow, but not that slow. Anyway, I weighed before and after and factored how much I drank to determine I sweated over 102 oz. of water. Fascinating, eh?

exercise.png

OMG that's 3 litres (If I googled correctly)! seriously! wow yep that's hot.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo You can probably deduce from my SN that I am an RN. I am about a year from completing my NP education. I have to say that grad school, work, family, and fitness are a lot to juggle. However, I am stubborn, so I get it done! What are you studying? I LOVE to learn, so I am always in school!

Thanks for the race wishes!

3.15 of 60 completed

UPCOMING RACES

@AprilRN10 I'm a radiographer, who is also doing post graduate study so the word Pleural is being used a LOT! lol

• Avidkeo
    Options
    @Avidkeo You can probably deduce from my SN that I am an RN. I am about a year from completing my NP education. I have to say that grad school, work, family, and fitness are a lot to juggle. However, I am stubborn, so I get it done! What are you studying? I LOVE to learn, so I am always in school!

Thanks for the race wishes!

3.15 of 60 completed

UPCOMING RACES

@AprilRN10 lol yep pretty big give away haha. I'm going to be doing my masters in image interpretation. Oh NP is a big job. Good luck. I find study is kinda addictive haha. I'll probably do my PhD eventually!