July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @Orphia I am just north of 53°N. @juliet3455 is even further to the north than I am!
    Wow, you are way up there! I am only at 40N. Sunset is 8:53 pm and sunrise is 5:57 am.

I'm at 37.7° S.

I'm at 34.17°N. 0623 sunrise, 2048 sunset. @PastorVincent i didnt realize you had an extra half hour of daylight from us in the south.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    A bit cooler, 85F. Good run felt like something finally clicked.

That's awesome! Usually when something clicks on my runs it is an injury ;)

Ok. Metaphorically something clicked.

My gait became more efficient. My stride wasn't forced.

You're so silly Scott. :smiley:
    @shanaber Thanks for the props! I credit the cooler temps. Last time i tried that work out i petered. But it was 95+. Might be time to increase those running times!

ETA i really hate this new update on mfp mobile.
    I can't see the entire response field.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    ...it was glorious until I decided to do my best imitation of a movie stunt-woman. I kicked a root and lost my balance. I'm sure you could have seen "oh no...I'm falling...can I catch myself?...why, no...I'm goin' down...hmm, don't want to break my teeth...shoulder roll, shoulder roll!..." across my face as I fell. At least, I'm pretty sure that was my thought process, although it might just have been, "oh, *kitten*!". Not sure. Anyway, a nice lady saw me fall, didn't laugh at me, and helped me up. And then we both kept running. I'm a little bruised and battered, but my teeth and glasses are intact so it's all good.

@5BeautifulDays LOL That's a very well-written description of a millisecond of clever reaction time. :smiley:
    Hope the bruises don't hurt too much.

It really is amazing how much time seems to pass in that millisecond too! Almost feels like you are in a movie and stopped to do an aside in the middle of a fight or something.

Exactly! Slow motion!

When I fell two weeks ago and rolled my ankle, it honestly felt like I was *placing* myself on the ground.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @Orphia I am just north of 53°N. @juliet3455 is even further to the north than I am!
    Wow, you are way up there! I am only at 40N. Sunset is 8:53 pm and sunrise is 5:57 am.

I'm at 37.7° S.

I'm at 34.17°N. 0623 sunrise, 2048 sunset. @PastorVincent i didnt realize you had an extra half hour of daylight from us in the south.

Honestly, a few years ago when I looked it up, I was surprised too how much difference there was across the USA. I just do not think of USA being all that big and definitely not that tall (north to south). :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    ...it was glorious until I decided to do my best imitation of a movie stunt-woman. I kicked a root and lost my balance. I'm sure you could have seen "oh no...I'm falling...can I catch myself?...why, no...I'm goin' down...hmm, don't want to break my teeth...shoulder roll, shoulder roll!..." across my face as I fell. At least, I'm pretty sure that was my thought process, although it might just have been, "oh, *kitten*!". Not sure. Anyway, a nice lady saw me fall, didn't laugh at me, and helped me up. And then we both kept running. I'm a little bruised and battered, but my teeth and glasses are intact so it's all good.

@5BeautifulDays LOL That's a very well-written description of a millisecond of clever reaction time. :smiley:
    Hope the bruises don't hurt too much.

It really is amazing how much time seems to pass in that millisecond too! Almost feels like you are in a movie and stopped to do an aside in the middle of a fight or something.

Exactly! Slow motion!

When I fell two weeks ago and rolled my ankle, it honestly felt like I was *placing* myself on the ground.

You would think with all that time we could come up with a way not to get hurt on the way down, but somehow that does not really seem to work out! :lol:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @Orphia What App do you use for timing the ParkRuns?

It's parkrun Virtual Volunteer.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/parkrun-virtual-volunteer/id1309438300?mt=8

It does timing, and also parkrun barcode scanning (scanning the finish tokens and the personal barcodes).
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Re: Shin splints

A lot of times it is a signal about shoes but last week or so I had a run where I got shin splints. It wasn't the shoe. I hadn't been stretching much. I am super tight and definitely need to stretch more than I do. I started stretching, no more shin splints.

Oh stretching is a must! That's my one big thing doing all this, stretches. I've actually taken up yoga during my lunch break to get more stretching in during the day
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    a few stops to adjust the Berry Load on the Tree Branch'sexercise.png

Love it!
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Sun 7/1 crosstrain: 60 minutes elliptical
    Mon 7/2 run: 3.15 miles
    Tue 7/3 crosstrain: 60 minutes elliptical