Why did you get married?

Options

Replies

• vm007
    vm007 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Btw- this is how marriage works in my culture. There are exceptions now because times have changed but what I will be describing is how things operate in traditional families.

1. My grand parents will be told about a possible family,
    2. They will vet the family- as in who they are and what family they come from, how old is the family and how back the roots go,
    3. They will speak with the girl's parent's

After that,

1. Girl's family- They shouldn't be related closely. Theory is- if it's closely related and there is an issue prevalent in the family it may pass on to future offspring- as in genetic disorders or something so it's better to be not related. Is the family free from addictions etc etc.

2. Girl's future plans- as in, if she is even ready to get married? what are her life goals? Is she ready to make a commitment or she is 50-50 and family is forcing. What's life long goals? Kids? Career? etc - would she and I compromise or we are 100% opposite or we are 100% similar both scenarios are a "no-no".

3. Girl's background/upbringing- Was she raised in a family where they earned through jobs, business or political? Since jobs in theory have less stress because you will get paid at the end of the month, however little it may be-you'd get paid. Business the income stream is up and down and political families have times of very high stress then smooth sailing then up again. If she comes into a family which was total opposite -it'll be hard for her to transition and that would suck for newly weds.

4. Girl's family's financial status- Are they "too" rich as in total out of league or "too" poor. Since if they are very well off and I am not- it'll be hard for her to transition and adapt to our "level" and if she's too poor- she won't be able to adjust fully either.

Once this is set and done- girl would be shown my picture and given my details and whatever she needs from my side and her parents. If she approves -I'd be told alright this is this- and as a family we would go meet. If she's ok on that then it'll continue from there.

P.S- keep in mind, some things don't apply here in western culture so it may be a head scratcher.

I may have missed few details but this is how the process usually is- it's not just a union of two people it's a union of two families. Community comes together to unite them. Times have changed and now things are done in a similar way it gets done in Western society however, in my case it'll be like I've mentioned here. I have zero issues with this process. I ain't even against marriage I just wanted to know WHY YOU did it.

Like I said before, I was all for marriage and all when I was young but the more I've meditated the more I feel like why though. That whole "partner for life" and those things just don't justify. Since WE created this why can't we be together without this "marriage". Also, "thick and thin" so where one person would be going through struggle now there would be two of us drudging along.

Only thing I am totally against for now is, spending a lavish amount on wedding and the events which my family and extended family is looking towards. I just want court marriage and party that's it. Not like 4 functions before then wedding then party. However, the girl may have other plans so who knows where it'll all end up.

• vm007
    edited July 2018
    Options
    bufger wrote: »
    vm007 wrote: »
    Basically what I posted in the first post.

I guess I was looking for something which doesn't exist. All the posted answers suggest that it's just a very simple thing. You either do it or not. I just assumed there was something beyond which I didn't understand because I am not married and never had a relationship in a conventional sense. I've had "encounters" and "dates" they were both good and bad. I have memories from them which I cherish. I've had friends good and bad as well. I do not hate anyone or dislike anything- I forgive and move on because I get to learn from everything. After all a situation is good or bad depending on how we perceive it.

You'll find someone and you will both want to spend every waking minute together. Eventually you'll make longer term plans and financial commitments, at that point you may decide to show that commitment through marriage - you don't have to and many people have perfectly happy long relationships without marriage.

Love always comes around when you're not looking for it in my experience. Enjoy yourself and one day you'll just get hit by Cupid

Yeah, you may be totally right bro. I am open-minded and still learning-who knows how life will unfold.

edited- to add a comma
  • Latucker21
    Latucker21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    I'll put myself out there, just this time with a more real answer.

Because I loved him. Because I believed in a future with him. Because I believed all the good things he said to me and big plans he wanted for us.

I realized after all was said and done, and when I finally was really honest with myself that love shouldn't make you hate yourself or feel like *kitten* most of the time.

That just because you loved them, it doesn't mean they're good for you.

Sounds like my ex. 5 years post divorce and he's still a narchole to me and our kids.
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Options

Because I loved him. Because I believed in a future with him. Because I believed all the good things he said to me and big plans he wanted for us.

I realized after all was said and done, and when I finally was really honest with myself that love shouldn't make you hate yourself or feel like *kitten* most of the time.

This is so very true! So sorry that happened to you. We all deserve to be happy.
  • edmhorv
    edmhorv Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To be useful. Thought I can help.
    And I could indeed.
  • vm007
    Options

Thanks for sharing.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    there was an awesome thread on this a few months back, but I think the OP was one of the people who deactivated a bit ago and had all their content deleted, I am not finding it :(

Anyone remembering the "should marriage go out of style" thread. was that the name of it?

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    there was an awesome thread on this a few months back, but I think the OP was one of the people who deactivated a bit ago and had all their content deleted, I am not finding it :(

Anyone remembering the "should marriage go out of style" thread. was that the name of it?

I vaguely remember it but not the exact name.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

I remember this thread and I think this is the name or very close to it. If my memory serves me correctly it was created by @Ilovetrees145.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I remember this thread and I think this is the name or very close to it. If my memory serves me correctly it was created by @Ilovetrees145.

ugh I think so too :(
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Taras Kul, vlogger, is getting married in October. Check out how he looks at her every time they talk about their wedding plans. Totally, utterly, smitten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKpjOA8cr_0

OP, you may have your own ideas on what a marriage (and the celebration) should look like but I promise you when you are THIS smitten with someone, you will want to do it in a way that honors this new person in your life. It will be a joint decision.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    For the same reasons we do most things in our life. Because its a progression. Why did you get a driver's license, technically you don't need one to drive, you just need to know how. Why did you get a job? Technically you could just live off the land like a caveman. As a society we've said that its the final step in choosing a life partner. Doesn't mean you have to, just like driving. No one needs to get married, its a choice and honestly one that should be made with a great deal of thought as many jump in before they should.

You also keep bringing up divorce, if you're thinking about divorce before you've even married then nothing anyone says to you will make you understand because you don't get that by making that contract with someone, you're showing them that you've chosen them forever or else you will suffer all these things you mention like losing half your stuff. Its' kind of the point of marriage, that you're a partnership and share in everything. If one of you dissolves that partnership, then yes you deserve to lose half your stuff.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Because being married is different than not being married. You will be unsatisfied when I tell you I can’t really explain how, it just is.

I was with my fella for 13 years before we got married. We never intended to have children together so never really planned on getting married even though neither of us was going anywhere. As the years passed, getting married just started to feel right and we both decided we wanted it.

The funny thing is that for a few months prior to and then a few month after the wedding, we had a tough time, each of us thinking the other was behaving strangely, somehow different than normal until we finally had it out. I asked him why he was being so weird and he said he didn’t feel weird or intend to be acting that way; he asked me the same and I gave the same response. In the end we laughed, embraced that things were now different in some non-specific but also non-toxic way and grew closer for having worked through it.

We will celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary in September and I have no regrets whatsoever.

I feel like the cultural and familial obligations around marriage are the problematic parts of your equation more than finding a life partner you want to be with. They would be for me at least. Neither of our families vetted any part of our process and I would have been very unhappy to involve them in my relationship in any of the ways you describe. I was born into my family. I chose my husband. Between the two, I’m going to side with the man I chose over the people I was stuck with through accident of birth. Any sort of meddling would result in a happy husband but a sad family for me personally.

(Edit: got my dates mixed up. What year is it again? lol)
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    We were already in a committed relationship but I needed health benefits and SO got a tax break.

Win-win!

Edit: Also, many people say that marriage changes everything. Perhaps it does for some people, but thankfully it didn't change a thing for us. We had friends who got married after us that were concerned about this old adage too, but I think marriage is only different than a long-term, committed relationship if one or both of you want/expect it to be.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    Taxes ...
    in addition: Getting a bank to finance your new house is so much easier when you're married (Possibly because they know that a divorce most likely costs a fortune and therefore will put the house back on the market, for significantly less than you payed, of course).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    BrSpiritus wrote: »
    bln4lgng2698.jpg
    Nice barong!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Tax bracket

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    kelfran1 wrote: »
    We were already in a committed relationship but I needed health benefits and SO got a tax break.

Win-win!

Edit: Also, many people say that marriage changes everything. Perhaps it does for some people, but thankfully it didn't change a thing for us. We had friends who got married after us that were concerned about this old adage too, but I think marriage is only different than a long-term, committed relationship if one or both of you want/expect it to be.

I figured that dated back to the days when people didn't live together before being married. In my relationship I think that was the hardest part, the few months after moving in together. Since we already lived together previous to being married, nothing really changed immediately from just getting married.