The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• dblbbl88
    dblbbl88 Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Well, fun vacation week has come and gone and now it’s time to get back to work and jump back on the healthy food wagon. I’m sure, like me, many of you strayed this past week. I used to beat myself up for it, but I have learned that it’s not really a bad thing as long as you right the ship and sail on! Happy Monday y’all!!!
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Back from the mountains, up a pound since I left. Up four so far for the month. Time.Starts.Now. Carpe Diem!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Can someone add me to the group please or do I not need to do anything but favorite it to appear in my discussions? New to using the groups on MFP...

Not sure that this is actually a group, per-se! I don't think that it is like the Low Carb group or the Keto group (of which I am a "member"). I think that this is just a "thread" in one of the sections.

Now, to accomplish what you are trying to do - if I am understanding you correctly - is simple...I think! At the top of this thread there are three symbols - a bell, a star, and a gear!

I think that if you click on the star it will book mark this specific thread. I think that *might* be what you want. I don't think that you want to click the bell....I *believe* that will send an e-mail notification to you each and every time someone adds to the thread (which could become somewhat annoying, depending on your tolerance levels).

Can someone - with experience in this - confirm or refute my "best guess", please?

Thank you!

You got it right. Click on the star at the top of the thread that you want to bookmark.

Then you can check in quickly whenever you log on to MFP. For that, you click on the star at the top of the Community page. That will show your list of bookmarked threads.

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday middle agers!!!!!
    Anyone got anything great happening this week? Will England win their semi final in the work cup Wednesday. So much excitement
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    I spent the afternoon pushing my mom around the zoo in her wheelchair. A great workout for me and a reminder that I'd you don't use it you lose it. She has a lot of issues because of low muscle tone and condition. Keep your core strong people it's important

The potential and eventual mental/physical decline due to poor habits motivate me as well. My Mom is paying for her sugar addiction, while I pick up the pieces.

It's too bad. A little exercise and regard for their health could make such a difference. My dad lasted longer than he should have because he walked 5 miles every day until he gor sick. It's amazing the power of fitness and healthy living.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    I spent the afternoon pushing my mom around the zoo in her wheelchair. A great workout for me and a reminder that I'd you don't use it you lose it. She has a lot of issues because of low muscle tone and condition. Keep your core strong people it's important

The potential and eventual mental/physical decline due to poor habits motivate me as well. My Mom is paying for her sugar addiction, while I pick up the pieces.

Kudos to both of you for your commitment. I am dealing with a spouse who doesn't do any physical exercise. I am concerned that her situation is going get a lot worse with age.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

It's too bad. A little exercise and regard for their health could make such a difference. My dad lasted longer than he should have because he walked 5 miles every day until he gor sick. It's amazing the power of fitness and healthy living.

Agreed! If I might chime in....

And, just how important "health" is.....I think that - and I am going to be very generic here - most of us take things for granted. I try very hard not to do that.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Life is movement, movement is life - one thing I have learned on this journey. I really see a split in my peer group at mid 40s - there is a marked difference between the sedentary group and the active. It seems in my perception that 40s is where people kind of decide the path they are going to take for the second half of their lives

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »

Life is movement, movement is life - one thing I have learned on this journey. I really see a split in my peer group at mid 40s - there is a marked difference between the sedentary group and the active. It seems in my perception that 40s is where people kind of decide the path they are going to take for the second half of their lives

Agreed! I am 51....so just a couple years older than you. I see people my age all the time and you are so right! I see the majority of people in my age bracket going the "very sedentary" choice....which kills me (for them). I never stop....have a ton of energy.....and have since I was 45 (when I started running....which ended up being 13 miles five or six times a week....and going to the gym every day). Best shape of my life - as I have stated several times.

Funny...I remember that song from a Christmas program that I used to watch as a kid...."put one foot in front of the other...."
  • AliNouveau
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I've been active my entire life. A combo of adhd and being an athlete growing up. I did have a time after having my son I put on weight (which brought me here) and was lazy. It was gross. I take for granted that I am naturally sporty and I'm much happier when I am doing physical activity. I will always hate running cause it sucks but it's an easy burn for me. Damn you running. But really I find it hard seeing my mom or others who complains at every ache and pain and have every excuse to not move and get fit. I just don't get it.
  • twinkley74
    twinkley74 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm not new to MFP but new to the community. I joined MFP last summer and lost the weight I wanted with exercise and watching my calories. I'm a high school teacher and September rolled around, got sick for about a month and I never got back into vigorous exercise or watching my calories after I got better. So here I am again but I'm more motivated than I was last year because I really am sick of this cycle of losing weight, putting it back on, etc. It's good to read about people close to my age (I'm soon to be 44) being where I want to be eventually. This summer I've been focusing on running, combining that with yoga and occasional group exercise classes at the local gym. I'm trying to keep to activities that I can realistically maintain once I'm back at work.

I would love to have some people to check in with occasionally because I think that's what I was missing last year. I was only accountable to myself. I'm new to the community aspect but please add me if you need more friends.
  • therealmichele
    therealmichele Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    what's up, 42 and still walkin' around this *kitten*hole

(ps i'm new to these boards-- does everyone just type out *kitten* or is this some magical moderation tool?)
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options

(ps i'm new to these boards-- does everyone just type out *kitten* or is this some magical moderation tool?)

Moderation tool......and be aware that if you curse (or "fake it" by using the "*" in place of letters) you will receive a warning....
  • missymckibben
    missymckibben Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, new to the boards. I'm 44 and trying to lose weight, but more importantly get healthy and fit. My husband lost 60lbs with MFP and his fitbit. He's kept it off for 3 years. He is motivating me. The really great thing is he does all the cooking. So, I eat healthy dinners every night. My big problem is sugar!!! And I'm only getting about 5000 steps per day. I'm looking forward to "meeting" everyone. Have a great active day all.
  • therealmichele
    therealmichele Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Moderation tool......and be aware that if you curse (or "fake it" by using the "*" in place of letters) you will receive a warning....

thanks for the tip! i can be uhh, salty, unless i know to be otherwise. thanks for the heads-up.
  • charles75stanley
    charles75stanley Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Hi there .

After yo yo ing for years finally made some gains this year lost almost two stone since Feb. I did the green juice diet for a month a few years back and lost two stones in a month! But a lot of muscle too. So this year I took up cycling and 5:2 fast diet lost two stone then hit a plateau so have now joined the gym so trying to go there every other day. And now I'm going full time huel with two days fast ( 500kcals) and the rest 1500kcals and see how I get on. :)
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Good day my friends. I hope everyone had a great weekend. Well.... I've been working out and not much to show for it, weight loss speaking. I know, I know... muscle weighs more than fat... but still. I WANT to lose POUNDS. So, for my cardio, I'm going to start running (ok... jog/walk combo for now). I am starting TODAY getting ready for the Holiday Streak. I did it in 2013, 2014 , 2015 and 6 days in 2016 before I had an injury. BUT on this Holiday Streak, I did lose weight, so therefore.... let the jogging begin. This morning I did 3.1 miles in 44 minutes.

Thought of the Day: The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful, is the man who will win - Roger Bannister, first man to run a sub 4 min mile

• beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    Good day my friends. I hope everyone had a great weekend. Well.... I've been working out and not much to show for it, weight loss speaking. I know, I know... muscle weighs more than fat... but still. I WANT to lose POUNDS. So, for my cardio, I'm going to start running (ok... jog/walk combo for now). I am starting TODAY getting ready for the Holiday Streak. I did it in 2013, 2014 , 2015 and 6 days in 2016 before I had an injury. BUT on this Holiday Streak, I did lose weight, so therefore.... let the jogging begin. This morning I did 3.1 miles in 44 minutes.

Thought of the Day: The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful, is the man who will win - Roger Bannister, first man to run a sub 4 min mile

Good job on starting to run/jog/walk again! I am sloooowly getting back to that as well -- I pulled a muscle in my back, so just getting back to the gym tonight. When I created a cardio exercise in my diary awhile back, I actually named it "walk/jog combo"! At 56, I may never be the runner I used to be, but my walk and jog are fairly brisk at least! But 3.1 miles in 44 minutes?! That's great!
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    Hi there .

After yo yo ing for years finally made some gains this year lost almost two stone since Feb. I did the green juice diet for a month a few years back and lost two stones in a month! But a lot of muscle too. So this year I took up cycling and 5:2 fast diet lost two stone then hit a plateau so have now joined the gym so trying to go there every other day. And now I'm going full time huel with two days fast ( 500kcals) and the rest 1500kcals and see how I get on. :)

Doing great!
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,585 Member
    Options
    Hello peeps hope you all had a great day!