"You're too skinny!" Do others ever make you question your maintenance weight?

Replies

• netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    I had people say that - when I was roughly 120lbs at 5'2 (and even more so at my lowest weight which was still a BMI of 19)
    Mind you, I think it might be because I'm pear shaped so my shoulders and chest DO get fairly skinny, plus everyone around me was used to me in the BMI 30-35 range.. curious to see if it happens again, I'm dropping from 160s back to 120s, halfway there at the moment
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    My own mother says it looks like I have cancer, which in my opinion was way too far. I personally don't think I look 'too skinny' at all, sure I could probably gain some weight and still be healthy/look healthy, but when it starts getting to the point of feeling insecure is where I draw the line.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great sharing, I needed this!
  • luvmygrls77
    luvmygrls77 Posts: 6 Member
    Yeah it’s super annoying when people ask if you’re sick or say you’re too skinny. I get more people that say I look really good but those mean comments stick out in your brain more than the nice ones. I’m just shy of 5’4” and I loved being around 115lbs. Now that I’m older and had a kid, I feel like being too thin makes your face look older and other areas not look as good (boobs) but I love feeling healthy and energetic.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Got that talk this morning. I am not even at my maintenance weight yet - .6lbs over highest weight for my age, height, gender. I am in the cutting phase of my resistance training, so I am sure I will hear more in the future.
  • chantelboudreau
    chantelboudreau Posts: 2 Member
    I used to have this problem. I was underweight but in my family that's very normal. I had lots of energy and felt healthy. People would constantly tell me I need to eat more when I was full and one even told the school nurse she worried. It was really annoying. Once I hit my 30's I put on some weight but it was very upsetting in high school and middle school. I did not have an eating disorder. Sometimes people just don't know better. If you feel great and have lots of energy than I don't see the problem. Plus I checked your BMI and it's not even under weight. Personally, I would say if the doctor says your healthy that's what matters.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    I think those of us who are runners get the "you're too skinny" thing a lot. Yeah, we tend to be slim, but strong! It must be a mix of envy and jealousy. If you feel good in your skin, then ta da! Don't worry about what others say (unless it's your mom - mom's can throw a wrench into anything, dammit.)
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    I don't get the "you're too skinny" thing. Once I get to my goal weight we'll see I guess. What I do get--from sedentary people--is the, "You look great!" thing, which at my age actually means, "You're not dead yet."
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    I'm only a little over halfway to goal weight and I have started getting the "you are so tiny (now)!" comments, so I predict I will eventually get some of these "you are too skinny" or " you're done losing now right?" comments once I'm close to or at goal weight. This thread is so useful in getting possibly ready for those comments with good comebacks that will shut down that noise right quick!
  • AMIE2881
    AMIE2881 Posts: 7 Member
    People use to say this to me then when I gained weight... Then it was you look like you need to lose weight. Same with not having a tan. People are a-holes. Even friends and family.