Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I've not read all the posts, but what I have will not put me off using the stuff, the only time I pull out my rather old packet of sugar these days is when I make a curry and use it to offset my tomato allergy.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    He has ingested things before, gets the reaction, looks at the ingredients and sees aspartame.

This has happened to me many times. Maybe in some people it is psychosomatic, but if we didn't know we consumed it until after we get symptoms, that isn't the case.

My fogginess isn't the same as just being tired. It comes on very suddenly and has a very different feeling from being too tired to focus.

As for the other people in this thread, I'm not going to pretend I understand the biochemistry going on. I'm not going to try to Google things to prove my point because I know the internet is full of things that aren't true. Obviously I can't Google my way to be on the same level as you in terms of understanding biochemistry, bou can't convince me that I'm imagining the direct correlation between aspartame and my symptoms. I've experienced it way too many times for it to be a coincidence.

It would be interesting to try the water thing though. You would then know if it's the aspartame or if it is a preservative/additive, etc. that is commonly found with aspartame containing products. I would love to see someone willing to do this mini-study and report back their findings. I'm genuinely curious.
  • ImpreciseSeamstress
    ImpreciseSeamstress Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Question with your water test. I thought you couldn't cook with aspartame because it doesn't withstand high heat. Wouldn't boiling it change it enough to possibly change the results?
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Diet pop gives me diarrhea. That's why I avoid it.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Diet pop gives me diarrhea. That's why I avoid it.

All diet pop? I get that reaction when I overdo sorbitol (we will not talk about the time I chain-chewed a double pack of sugar free gum...), but not aspartame.