Maintainers - how do you keep your head in the game?

Replies

• JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    I've been in maintenance mode for nearly 3 years.

My method - LOGGING, LOGGING, LOGGING!

And weighing in weekly...

There are ups and downs - key is to keep honest and keep logging.

Jean
  • JoySwift1
    JoySwift1 Posts: 6 Member

I am now at my goal weight. Since I started I have lost 3 stone which is a real achievement. I have gone down 2 sizes. I would like advice on how to keep this weight without becoming obsessive. I am scared of regaining the weight!!
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    1. Discipline. Meal prep, planning my day, getting my workouts in. It's all routine and good habits for me. It doesn't feel like discipline - it's just...my thing now.
    2. Accountability through logging. Not every meal. Not necessarily weighing (I do occasionally). But enough "tracking" to see where I'm at daily / weekly.
    3. 80/20 or 90/10 - sticking to consistent go-to meals and macros.

#1 though is what makes a difference. I always work out bc I love it (I struggle to force in a recovery day!) and eat intuitively at 80/20 or 90/10.

My struggle is food volume, partly bc I am so active. An undisciplined weekend of eating TOO MUCH can set me back 4 days (minimum) to 2 weeks. I feel terrible, I get in my head. Blahhhhh
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    Just bumping this a little. As a serial yo yo er, I am now into year 2 of maintaining within my weight range. I won't say that it hasn't been a struggle. But one thing I have noticed is that if you don't FREAK out when you go over your range, and just slowly work to trend the other direction, you have less of a tendency to keep gaining. What I mean by that is not to "punish or restrict yourself" too much. What I see happens with that is that I can't maintain at that restriction and have a lot of "bad" days. So the secret which I am telling myself is "look how far you have come". You don't need to get back there ASAP, just take your time and remove one or two items you have been treating with and the trend will go the other way. Learn to enjoy the accomplishment and not beat yourself up for a minor blip. You won the war, now don't go into all out war again, just do little skirmishes and enjoy your days.

Very helpful! Thank you!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    edited December 2018
    The creep has hit me the past few weeks. What has nipped it in the bud is a new giant full length mirror placed right by my front door. Amazing how that works.. I see myself..and now I'm back to my work outs and eating right ,..no problem.

I also agree with the no stretchy clothes or older big clothes waiting in the wings.. wear those tight pants..you have no choice but to cut back,
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    I maintained for 10 months but it became too much to keep logging after daughter & 3 grand kids moved in temporarally, so I gained 3 solid pounds in 2 months, back to losing that & not going to stop logging again
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    I invite any of you to join the community Ultimate Accountability Challenge. Just do a search under Community -> Groups for that challenge. It's a great team of like minded individuals with a goal of leading a healthy life style, tracking calories and exercise. Some team members are attempting to lose weight...but there are several of us in maintenance who are cheerleaders for each other. The rules are straight forward, the group is inclusive...and even if you start too late in the month to make Winner's Circle, it is still great to participate for accountability. We would love to have you join us!