July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    @Gary_Z I have to wear them. I tried shorts, but they caused circulation issue (I have clotting disorder) so had to go bag to leggings. A lot of people like body glide. You will get good suggestions here!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    @Gary_Z probably just get some Body Glide (or I like Arm & Hammer Friction Defense) to prevent the chafing.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @AprilRN10 I read or heard that people think others are too skinny because the average in the US is overweight and we have become use to that being "the norm". He could be just used to you being bigger and now look the size as or smaller than most women?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Funny thing for all the ladies in the thread... when I was loosing too much weight (I did, and gained some back to be at a more healthy place- different story for different day)... very few people said anything to ME about it, but they DID get on my wife's case and make comments about "feeding him better" and the like. :neutral:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq A few of us will go on long streaks of running, but really, even for the best of us, rest days are important. Rest days are when your body builds muscle and repairs damage. Common wisdom is 1-2 rest days a week. So keep that in the mind in the future. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Gary_Z wrote: »
    2 more miles on the treadmill after playing doubles in tennis. After a mile and a half, started to get chafing between my thighs, do I have to invest in those compression tights thingies?

That is what I do. I use Under Armour's cause they are not as tight as some. Also as others mentioned Body Glide is great too.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @AprilRN10 Haha, usually when I hear people complaining about the adult charts it's because they want to justify being considered overweight. In some cases I do see their point, so I don't think the charts should be used in isolation, but generally they're a decent guide for where we should be. I'm glad you've got them "on your side" in this case.

I did have a close friend at one point carefully ask if I was wanting to lose more weight, and she was pleased to hear that I was at my goal and not planning to go lower. My husband (when I asked him) also said around that point that I looked great, but that I probably shouldn't lose any more. I agreed. So that's my goal weight, and it corresponds with the mid/low end of healthy on the chart. I gained weight doing 2 marathons this year, though... fortunately it's slowly coming off now that I've backed off on the training.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if I need new shoes? How do you know when your shoes are no good anymore? I looked at them and twisted them and they seem ok. I have had them for a long time (few years) but never started running after I bought them (lol) until just recently. Not that they've never been worn over the last few years, I have worn them now and gain to go walking or hiking in or whatever.

I was running last night and by the end of my short run my ankles were kind of hurting a little bit.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I am wondering if I need new shoes? How do you know when your shoes are no good anymore? I looked at them and twisted them and they seem ok. I have had them for a long time (few years) but never started running after I bought them (lol) until just recently. Not that they've never been worn over the last few years, I have worn them now and gain to go walking or hiking in or whatever.

I was running last night and by the end of my short run my ankles were kind of hurting a little bit.

I usually use my knees as a guide. The more they make noise when I walk I know it's time to switch out shoes. I have a 3 pair rotation and my new pair is always for running, running shoes become work shoes, and work shoes become yard/kicking around shoes. Yard shoes get tossed in the trash in this rota.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    The BMI charts tell me that I am obese and that I should lose 14 pounds. I am 5'7" and weigh 158 pounds and have a 31" waist. I tell the BMI charts to go eff themselves. But if I am a fatty, so be it, because if I lost 14 pounds to placate the BMIs, I would be such a skinny little bltch third grade girls could beat my *kitten*.

The first year my employer did Biometrics for us they told a co-worker he was obese based on numbers alone. Clearly, he was not obese, but his muscle mass threw off the chart. All the test administrator had to do was actually look and realize the BMI did not apply to them. BMI works across a population, it's intention was not necessarily for individuals.

They also measured me with my heels on so I got an extra 2-2.5" inches in height. I asked if I should take them off, they looked at them, and said no. Then wrote down the wrong height. Fun times!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    kcs76 wrote: »
    Funny thing for all the ladies in the thread... when I was loosing too much weight (I did, and gained some back to be at a more healthy place- different story for different day)... very few people said anything to ME about it, but they DID get on my wife's case and make comments about "feeding him better" and the like. :neutral:

Ooohhh my mouth would get me in trouble there. >:)

My face would get me in trouble - I have trouble filtering my expression unless I'm making an effort to control it. I'm pretty sure that sort of comment would get a head tilt, eyebrow raise, and lip tighten. And probably a "hmm", which in Minnesotan-ese is pretty cutting!