July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    sprint

seriously how do you keep your feet under you? when i go fast, even 10mph, i feel like i'm going to trip over my feet. it feels like a lot of coordination i may not have.
    also, do your legs get tired or your lungs first? it used to be my lungs but now my legs. my HR rarely goes above 170bpm

10mph? I can not run that fast. Who runs that fast? Im like 4 maybe 5mph. My cardiovascular system is currently the limiting factor in my speed/endurance. My HR frequently is over 170, especially if its hot.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    ugh i'm dumb
    not enough coffee
    @Elise4270 10:00min/mile
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    sprint

seriously how do you keep your feet under you? when i go fast, even 10mph, i feel like i'm going to trip over my feet. it feels like a lot of coordination i may not have.
    also, do your legs get tired or your lungs first? it used to be my lungs but now my legs. my HR rarely goes above 170bpm

10mph? I can not run that fast. Who runs that fast? Im like 4 maybe 5mph. My cardiovascular system is currently the limiting factor in my speed/endurance. My HR frequently is over 170, especially if its hot.

10mph??? That is a 6 min mile. That is probably way to fast for you right now. Back that off. Start at like 4 mph and work your way up until you find where you are in your fitness and work from there. :)
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    One advantage that I have discovered about being able to run in zero drop shoes is that it eliminates the guess work about buying shoes. It is nice because I can order everything online with no worries. I only need to decide if I want any cushioning or not. I can tolerate up to a 4mm drop in trail shoes, but anything more than that trashes my feet, knees, hips and back.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    ugh i'm dumb
    not enough coffee
    @Elise4270 10:00min/mile

Okay, that is a little better :smile: but it still might be to fast for you. Start slower and work your way up and find out where *you* are. Work from there. It does not matter how fast/slow anyone else is - you need to start where you are and work from there.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    One advantage that I have discovered about being able to run in zero drop shoes is that it eliminates the guess work about buying shoes. It is nice because I can order everything online with no worries. I only need to decide if I want any cushioning or not. I can tolerate up to a 4mm drop in trail shoes, but anything more than that trashes my feet, knees, hips and back.

My trail shoes are 0 drop. My street ones are 8mm. I need to find good zero drop street shoes I think :)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

I believe the speed comes from practicing quicker leg turnover. What is your cadence? I think a higher cadence feels more comfortable when it comes to speed. Then again, my legs are super short so I have to take a lot more steps to cover the same distance as a normal person :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

I believe the speed comes from practicing quicker leg turnover. What is your cadence? I think a higher cadence feels more comfortable when it comes to speed. Then again, my legs are super short so I have to take a lot more steps to cover the same distance as a normal person :)

i have short legs too. i seem to average about 174spm
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Wow - I was just checking the course maps for the SF Marathon and HMs. One of the allures to running the HMs there is that you essentially run the same course as the marathon and in the 1st HM go out over the Golden Gate Bridge. But they had to change the course, last week! In the new 1st HM course runners no longer get to go across the bridge (full still does). Apparently the Bridge commission decided it was too dangerous for runners on the bridge road and they can't accommodate all of the runners on the sidewalk! I am running the 2nd HM this year, having run the 1st HM last year so the change doesn't affect me, but wow, I feel so bad for the runners signed up for the 1st HM because of the bridge, many who are coming from all over the world to run it!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    i mostly don't run till 9pm @hesn92 @rheddmobile because i am not a morning person right now. part of me misses running in the morning but physically unable so here i am being a late night runner

I can't imagine going for a 10 mile run starting at 9 at night...

I went for a 5 mile last night starting at 9:30. Probably finished in about the same time the speedier folks would have finished a 10 mile run.

It is rare I can physically wake up early enough to run in the morning. Yesterday I hit snooze from 5:15 to 6:50.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Yep - this! I do have the issue with needing a wide toe and narrow heel so am not quite so free to order anything... I have problems with Altras not fitting right (too big, too small, too whatever) so I no longer order them without trying first... My go to brand I don't have an issue with though. What 4mm drop brand do you like? I am not finding many and would like to get a more cushioned pair for my easy runs.

@PastorVincent - check out Altra and TopoAthletic for 0 drop road shoes. My fav is Skora but they are hit and miss right now on stock. I hear they will have more in the fall but we shall see. They do tend to be a bit more cushioned than my Topos but neither really have much.

@MegaMooseEsq - I don't think laces matter. I do like the Nathan elastic laces someone here recommended a while back... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PQ77DY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    They have some give to them so they remain snug but accommodate if my foot swells.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @LaDispute57 and @midwestener85 I completely agree with you both. She has ramped up her mileage during the same timeframe too. I’m really not a Nike fan for shoes, I’ve heard a lot of unfavorable things but she felt really good in them. I think she needs to go back to something similar to what she was wearing. I’m told her to talk to the manager about a zero drop or something close to that, she wears spikes for all her races so there is that. Also she will tend to heel strike so that should help that too. I'm doing lots of reading and told her to try some Hokas out. She has an appt on Monday with her orthopedic guy. He's the high school doctor so his nurse got her right in, they wanted her to come today but she's at work.

@mbaker566 ha ha I didn’t reply because I thought DAMN GIRL I can’t run that fast ha ha I seem to go back and forth between lungs and legs – lately I’d say legs more

@shanaber that is so wrong, I’d be pissed if I thought I was going over the bridge only to find out I wasn’t

Ha ha @cburke8909 that brotherly competition never ends. Great report I was on the edge of my seat. Take care of that hamstring now!