Replies

• Gary_Z
    Gary_Z Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses and tips all!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @hesn92 when my shins hurt, it's time for new shoes. or knees, or peroneal tendon pain. when my shoes are still good, i have very little pain, as they wear out, i get more pain
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I am wondering if I need new shoes? How do you know when your shoes are no good anymore? I looked at them and twisted them and they seem ok. I have had them for a long time (few years) but never started running after I bought them (lol) until just recently. Not that they've never been worn over the last few years, I have worn them now and gain to go walking or hiking in or whatever.

I was running last night and by the end of my short run my ankles were kind of hurting a little bit.

The general rule of thumb is 300-500 miles. Many people swear by that at least and many shoe manufactures present numbers in that range for their shoes.

BUT if your shoes are bothering you NOW. Then replace them NOW. No matter what the millage is. :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Oh,

The BMI charts, as I understand it, were aimed at "average Americans" - which means they do not take in to account the simple fact that muscle weighs more than fat. The general idea, I think, is that if you are athletic enough so that your muscle mass makes a difference you are not paying attention to BMI anyways. You are looking a performance metrics instead.

Somehow over the years, BMI became the gold standard. Foolishly so, but I am sure it was because it is so simple and easy.

I ran a 4 hour marathon while "obese" on the BMI Chart. *shrugs* Guess I'll grab some chips and watch TV since I am too fat to do anything else... :lol:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I am wondering if I need new shoes? How do you know when your shoes are no good anymore? I looked at them and twisted them and they seem ok. I have had them for a long time (few years) but never started running after I bought them (lol) until just recently. Not that they've never been worn over the last few years, I have worn them now and gain to go walking or hiking in or whatever.

I was running last night and by the end of my short run my ankles were kind of hurting a little bit.

The general rule of thumb is 300-500 miles. Many people swear by that at least and many shoe manufactures present numbers in that range for their shoes.

BUT if your shoes are bothering you NOW. Then replace them NOW. No matter what the millage is. :)

Well I don't know if it's the shoes or if it's just because I'm a noob and my body is still getting used to it. My ankles just start to get a little sore and achey towards the end of my run but they don't continue to hurt when I'm done or anything.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    July goal: 80 miles

7/1: 7.6 miles
    7/3: 4.2 miles
    7/5: 4.6 miles
    7/6: 4.3 miles
    7/8: 7.1 miles
    7/10: 4.5 miles
    7/11: 4.5 miles
    7/12: 4.5 miles
    7/15: 8.3 miles
    7/17: 4.5 miles
    7/18: 4 miles
    7/19: 4 miles

62.1/80 miles

I got 4 miles done this morning during the "cool" part of the day. It kind of sucks when the cool part of the day is 82F! I think this is the hottest summer we have had in a while. It is supposed to be 108F today (and for the rest of the week). It is already 96F at a little after 11 am. I felt a little slow today, but overall it was a good run. Just hot.

@Teresa502 Way to go on the AG award and for being a great friend. I hope your friend heals quickly. That sounds awful.

@MegaMooseEsq I ran a HM in May and I modified a Hal Higdon plan. I was already running ~8 miles for my long runs and I didn't want to shorten them so I just took his plan and kind of tweaked the percentages that he increased each week and did that. I also just did yoga and walking for my cross training.

@hesn92 I usually know it is time for new shoes when I start getting random aches in my feet. I think the "rule of thumb" is 300-500 miles. But if your feet or knees or shins are giving you trouble then it is often a shoe problem. I am kind of thinking I need new shoes now even though I only have 232 miles on my current shoes.

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    The BMI charts tell me that I am obese and that I should lose 14 pounds. I am 5'7" and weigh 158 pounds and have a 31" waist. I tell the BMI charts to go eff themselves. But if I am a fatty, so be it, because if I lost 14 pounds to placate the BMIs, I would be such a skinny little bltch third grade girls could beat my *kitten*.
    Well we wouldn't want third grade girls beating you up! My husband is similar, the charts don't make sense for him, either.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Your shoes sound like the shoes I was using when I started running last summer. They definitely didn't have 300 miles of running on them, and probably not even 300 miles of walking, but they were a few years old and had definitely been worn for various things over the years. I ended up replacing mine after having some knee pain flare up after maybe a month and I was glad I did. Since then I've tried to be religious about only wearing my running shoes for running and keeping the old pair for walking.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    kcs76 wrote: »
    Funny thing for all the ladies in the thread... when I was loosing too much weight (I did, and gained some back to be at a more healthy place- different story for different day)... very few people said anything to ME about it, but they DID get on my wife's case and make comments about "feeding him better" and the like. :neutral:

Ooohhh my mouth would get me in trouble there. >:)

My face would get me in trouble - I have trouble filtering my expression unless I'm making an effort to control it. I'm pretty sure that sort of comment would get a head tilt, eyebrow raise, and lip tighten. And probably a "hmm", which in Minnesotan-ese is pretty cutting!

Haha! I have a strong RBF game so I have to make an effort to look "happy" or whatever.

I seem to have resting snob face - people are always telling me, "I thought you were stuck up before I talked to you." Really it's being shy and naturally concealing my emotions.

I've gotten the "make sure you're feeding him right" thing from my MIL but she means the opposite, that my husband was getting pudgy. We like to pair up and tease him.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Funny thing for all the ladies in the thread... when I was loosing too much weight (I did, and gained some back to be at a more healthy place- different story for different day)... very few people said anything to ME about it, but they DID get on my wife's case and make comments about "feeding him better" and the like. :neutral:

Ooohhh my mouth would get me in trouble there. >:)

My face would get me in trouble - I have trouble filtering my expression unless I'm making an effort to control it. I'm pretty sure that sort of comment would get a head tilt, eyebrow raise, and lip tighten. And probably a "hmm", which in Minnesotan-ese is pretty cutting!

Haha! I have a strong RBF game so I have to make an effort to look "happy" or whatever.

LOL last night my son asked me why I looked so angry, then made this grimace to show me what I looked like. I started laughing and put my hand over my mouth (to not be so loud) and he was all "It's okay Mama, you don't have to hide it."
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    BMI charts aren’t accurate and really shouldn’t be followed to a T. If you want a truly accurate measurement of your body fat get a dexa scan. That also measures your lean mass and bone health
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Icarusgirl ! Sounds like your in the southern US? I'm in southern Oklahoma. Supposed to be 109F/42.8C today here. Yuck! Already 107 at noon.

I think i will, after this weekends duathlon, start running in the wee hours of the morning like @garygse . Be good for me to work on getting "dark acclimated". :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    It is 112F here. Index is now 113.4.

Who set the world on fire?
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It's 82F here right now, but it was a delicious 57F when I ran this morning.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    It's 107F here, feels like 111F. It was 82F when I ran this morning before sunrise.