July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless I agree with you, it seems hotter than I remember last year. The DJs on the radio today were saying if you hate heat, humidity, thunderstorms and bugs don't move to Alabama
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    10 miles on a very RARE Friday run. Takes me so long to get warmed up. Even though I do a 10 minute dynamic warm up, I don't feel comfortable until 3 or 4 miles into the run. Probably just the early morning. Don't remember it taking that long when I ran an night.

exercise.png

Don't feel bad. I'm an early morning runner and it seems to take me 1-2 miles to feel "loose". This morning it took me just over 2 miles, but I did start at 6:15am. If I run after dropping the kids off at school it doesn't take as long, but that's closer to 8am.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    July 1 – 7.5 miles (The Channels)
    July 2 – 8.7 miles
    July 6 – 10.5 miles
    July 7 – 12 miles (Mt. LeConte)
    July 9 – 5 miles
    July 11 – 5.1 miles
    July 12 – 6.36 miles (trail)

@MobyCarp – that sounds like a tough HM on Saturday. Good luck and drink plenty of fluids!
    @cburke8909 – Congratulations!
    @garygse – I hear you on the humidity. It was 91F when I hit the trail yesterday with a feel like of 97F. My shirt was drenched when I finished.
    @HonuNui – Always love your snorkeling pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    @rheddmobile – I’m on the hate-the-treadmill wagon also but I find that if I do intervals or hills changing the incline and speed often, it helps the time to pass. Also, if you can distract yourself with music, tv or youtube videos, that also helps.
    @skippygirlsmom – Good luck with your trail race tomorrow! Hope a change of shoes will resolve Skippy’s knee pain.
    @zdyb23456 – safe travels!
    @shanaber – I hate it when course changes are made after I register for them. Seems very unfair and to miss the Golden Gate Bridge – no fun.

Had a good run on the trail after work yesterday, but dang the bugs were bad. I even sprayed myself before I started but I must have sweated most of it off.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - check out Altra and TopoAthletic for 0 drop road shoes. My fav is Skora but they are hit and miss right now on stock. I hear they will have more in the fall but we shall see. They do tend to be a bit more cushioned than my Topos but neither really have much.

My trail shoes are the Altra Lone Peak 3.5, so maybe I will find out what road shoes they have then. I have not heard of the other 2 you mentioned. My current Sauconys are well past the "300-500" miles that everyone quotes. WELL PAST but new shoes will have to wait till after I finish paying for this house move!
    :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    heh...
    I finish the 323rd mile with a 7:09

The 5k seemed a bit long to you then? :lol:

Well done on beating your brother AND making your target time!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @Skippygirlsmom My opinion may vary with other runners, but I really think we are so individualized in what works for our feet. In my own prior experience with shoes, it was Skechers that caused an over-use injury. I was fortunate enough to find a physician who also runs and really knew his stuff. After examining my knee issue and asking some questions about when I started experiencing the issue and other relevant questions, he knew there was a bursa problem and pointed to a calendar saying "I bet you laced up a new pair of shoes about here." It was scary how close he was despite that I kept saying I started experiencing symptoms the day after running some very hilly technical trails while my normal runs are on flat pavement. I thought for sure it was something to do with the hills and/or technical dirt trails (roots, rocks, etc. to avoid and so step was different). He explained that it was an over-use injury caused by a change in footwear and the typical time it takes to experience outward symptoms after changing to problem footwear. I wore my normal trail shoes for that particular run as I have different shoes for trails than for roads. Apparently, it was the Skechers road shoes that were the issue. It just didn't present itself until a time that tricked me into thinking I had trashed my knees on the trail.

Ever since then, I've stuck with 4mm-6mm drop shoes for both road and trail shoes and I've avoided Skechers. This isn't to say that Skechers are bad shoes necessarily or that 4mm-6mm is the right drop for everyone. It's just that my individualized feet don't mix with either Skechers or with shoes that are not within that same drop. Whichever is the case, I stick within that safe range of drop and brand to be safe.

I can't say I've tried Nike, but I'm not sure they are a bad brand any more than I think Skechers are a bad brand. It sounds like they do not work for her particular individual feet.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    7/1 = 8 miles
    7/2 = 3 dreadmill miles and 30 minutes strength training
    7/3 = 6 miles
    7/4 = 5 miles
    7/5 = 3 miles
    7/6 = 12 miles
    7/7 = rest day
    7/8 = 7 miles
    7/9 = 3 miles & 30 minutes ST
    7/10 = sick day
    7/11 = 10.5 miles
    7/12 = 3 miles
    7/13 = 8 miles

Shameless self pity venting rant warning:

I am struggling so much with running this summer. I don’t remember last year being this hot, humid, and sucktastic. It doesn’t help that work is kicking my *kitten* this month.

Part of me is saying I need to take a running break. The other part of me knows that if I run through the suckage, the cooler fall months will be amazing. It will make marathon training in the fall so much easier just to suck it up this summer...

I feel like all I have been doing is whining about running this summer. I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and adjust my attitude. Ugh

70.5/125 goal July miles

Sweaty hugs from humid Minnesota! This summer has been rough all over - I read that a third of the population of the US was under a heat advisory last week. Do what you have to do to take care of yourself!
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    What 4mm drop brand do you like? I am not finding many and would like to get a more cushioned pair for my easy runs.
    I have 6 pairs of Merrells (4 road, 2 trails) which are all zero-drop. Merrell is probably my favorite shoe company. I have 5 pairs of New Balance (4 road, 1 trail) all from their minimus line. The road shoes are all zero drop and the trail shoe is 4 mm. I have 2 pairs of Inov-8 (1 road, 1 trail). The road is zero drop, the trail is 4mm. The trail is a beauty, but the built in rock-plate tends to tire my feet after about 15-18 miles. I have a pair of Altras for the road (zero drop, obviously) , a pair of Montrails for the trail (another great trail shoe and I think it is 4mm as well) and a pair Tadeevos for the road (those are the red zero drops that were in the pictures I posted that I can roll up and put in my pocket). My favorite trail shoes though are made by Carson Footwear. They are zero drop, with a removable rock-plate and are a sweet ride. Good mudders, quick driers, wide toebox and crazy designs... you should really check them out. (Yeah, yeah I know its a lot of shoes).
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    July goal is 150 miles

7/1 5.00............ 5.00/145.00
    7/2 Rest............ 5.00/145.00
    7/3 7.00............12.00/138.00
    7/4 5.00............17.00/133.00
    7/5 7.00............24.00/126.00
    7/6 5.00............29.00/121.00
    7/7 Rest............29.00/121.00
    7/8 16.00..........45.00/105.00
    7/9 Rest............45.00/105.00
    7/10 6.00...........51.00/ 99.00
    7/11 4.00...........55.00/ 95.00
    7/12 6.00...........61.00/ 89.00
    7/13 Rest...........61.00/ 89.00

Upcoming races:

October 20: Sinnemahone Ultra Marathon Trail Race (50K)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yay my part of the world
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    10k treadmill run last night and a rest day today. I've got a 5k road race tomorrow morning (temps due to be around 84 deg F and very humid). But I've got a dilemma. I'm not in love with my Brooks Ravennas and I'm convinced they're the cause of my niggling calf pain. Not bad pain, but very annoying and when I did my half marathon back in May, I actually got my old Saucony's out of retirement because I didn't trust my Brooks for that distance.

So today, I called in at the Saucony outlet store and picked up a pair of the ISO Hurricanes #3. I've always worn the #1, but I can't get hold of those any more. The #2 are too narrow in the toe box, but the #3 seem just right and were on sale because the #4 is out.

My question is, which damn shoes do I wear?
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options

My question is, which damn shoes do I wear?

Whichever ones are comfy :D
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502, @skippygirlsmom, @katharmonic and anyone else I missed who commented on the SF 1st HM course change... I feel really bad for everyone who signed up for it because of the bridge run. It is why I entered it the first time and again last year (running the 2nd half on alternating years). I especially feel bad for the people who have planned trips for that race specifically from Australia, Hawaii, Singapore and Europe to name just a few I saw commenting on FB. Also the organizers have been 'negotiating' all year with the Bridge Authority so I don't understand why they didn't warn people that it might not be included. There are close to 30k people running the 3 races with 9k running the marathon and the rest split unevenly across the 2 HMs (many more running the 1st HM than the 2nd). They have offered to allow runners to change to the full or the 2nd HM or get a refund or deferral to next year but if you already have plane tickets and other plans what do you do? It is such a great race that this just makes me sad. I am also happy I have run it a couple of times across the bridge. Note this race has been running across the bridge for 40 years as of last year!