Less Alcohol- July 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    bufger wrote: »
    I still haven't had a single drop of alcohol throughout this whole month :)

Wonderful! What a beautiful July for you! Congrats! Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Day 9
    It’s tough
    It’s easier than I thought
    I want a drink
    I don’t want to drink
    Last night I went out with 30 people they were mainly drinking I didn’t
    I think I felt good
    Afterwards I felt really good
    Welcome to my roller coaster ride of alcohol addiction

Well, you said it perfectly. The mental back and forth is crazy. So happy you're on day 9. Buy yourself something little to represent day 10's success. You can look at it as a symbol of your hard work and dedication to your health. Xo
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Ok I did pretty well and was AF for 6 days. Then another birthday lunch happened, and I had a few drinks. So, I'm starting at day 1 again. BUT I have promised myself to keep trying and never stop trying. So, if I have to have one hundred "day 1"s until it sticks, I will.

I also started a new hobby: knitting. So, I have been using that to keep my mind occupied and hands busy. After several hours this week, I am not farther than the casting off stage. But once again, I will keep at it. My plan WAS to make all of you hats for winter:) I'll settle for knitting a washcloth at this point.

I'm happy to see our new friends are doing well. Yes, I agree that day 10 is a magical day when you feel like you can continue without too many issues.

@Orphia Congrats on day 170. Bravo!
    @ErynVee It's a win-win. You're losing weight and staying sober.
    @imfitasacello I like your username:) Made me smile. I'm happy you found us and we found you. Sounds like you're meeting your goals.
    @trishfit2014 So happy to know you are doing well! And staying on course with your own goals. Yes, social occasions are difficult- I can relate.

Knitting keeps your hands and mind occupied. Making something small is a good idea at first because it takes longer to knit something than crochet. If you get bored with knitting, try crochet. I do both and will help if you have questions. Also, you should check out ravelry.com. it's free, and there are free patterns for every level.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I’m so inspired and encouraged by all of your words. I’ve been at this since Monday, so I’m just figuring things out (technology wise) so I haven’t been commenting as much as I’d like on individual posts. Takes me so long! I’m so grateful to have this fairly anonymous source of support. I’ve limited myself to one drink a day four four days, which is huge. It seems that if I pass the one drink threshold, all bets are off and I’ll keep going. Evening boredom and social situations are challenges for me. My weight is down and I’m feeling good about my progress so far. Thank you all for your support.

Well done you,
    Ask yourself why one drink?

Today take just a small sip and then sit back.
    Now, have a think “do you really like the taste?”

I don’t want to know the answer, I just want you to know why you drink.

The reason alcohol makes people feel relaxed is because it blocks your brain from working correctly.
  • andysport1
    Options
    Ok I did pretty well and was AF for 6 days. Then another birthday lunch happened, and I had a few drinks. So, I'm starting at day 1 again. BUT I have promised myself to keep trying and never stop trying. So, if I have to have one hundred "day 1"s until it sticks, I will.

I also started a new hobby: knitting. So, I have been using that to keep my mind occupied and hands busy. After several hours this week, I am not farther than the casting off stage. But once again, I will keep at it. My plan WAS to make all of you hats for winter:) I'll settle for knitting a washcloth at this point.

I'm happy to see our new friends are doing well. Yes, I agree that day 10 is a magical day when you feel like you can continue without too many issues.

Good on you,
    I read an ebook called “quit drinking the easy way”
    It made perfect sense to me.

Maybe read the book

Good luck today
  • andysport1
    Options
    So this is the big day
    The magical day

Why ?
    Is it a 10 day myth?
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Interesting side effect for me is lower resting pulse rate, and lower average pulse rate. Really did not expect that, plus a new low on the scale this morning, and this is only a little over a week AF!

HooRaw!!

Great points! Our friend @NormInv posted his significant resting pulse rate change dramatically lowered over the time he has been AF. So, you are so right about noticing that. So happy for your 8 days of AF! Awesome!

I was on medication for tachycardia because my resting pulse rate was in the 120 area. Guess what? It's in the mid 80s now. SMDH
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I don’t want to know the answer, I just want you to know why you drink.

The reason alcohol makes people feel relaxed is because it blocks your brain from working correctly.

I like this. Self awareness is a very important tool. Thank you @andysport1
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Thanks for everyone for sharing! I woke up and went to this I thread and am so inspired. I love how we all take nuggets from each comment and let it sink in. I love hearing from @Ke22yB because like @orphia says we are not drinking for the Tomorrow You/Me. I also know that I am emotionally still hanging on to the idea that I am close to committing to quit but just not there yet. I really dont know why I have that mind block.

@NovusDies My birthday is at a good time - summertime! Everyone likes a summer celebration:) I laughed when you said I'd have to knit a big cap for your head. Funny!

• RubyRed427
    Options
    So this is the big day
    The magical day

Why ?
    Is it a 10 day myth?

I'm not sure why day 10 BUT I believe it takes 10 days for the alcohol to leave your system. So,maybe today you will have zero residue. I love your writing style.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Went for a long bike ride and the temptation to get a cold one after was so strong....that used to be the norm for me...getting a beer or 6 (always 6) after a long day outside....just said to myself, make your way home and it will be ok....so got home without beer

Great going! I do the same. Once I am home I am ok.
  • andysport1
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Sorry I couldn’t remember how to delete