JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have to have surgery but at least that way it's a "simple fix" (simple in quote marks as clearly nothing simple about it..) which hopefully will mean you are all sorted within a few months?

I went through something similar last year with my surgery - for ages they weren't sure what my condition was and thought it was either something that could be fixed by surgery or something where I'd potentially need to take drugs for quite a few years. It turned out to be the surgery option and I was glad because whilst surgery is no picnic, at least when it's done it's done. Hopefully the same is true for you :smile:

(Plus, time off for surgery is great - obviously there's pain involved, but at the same time you get to sit on your butt and get other people to run around after you whilst you laze around and watch box sets...)

Just on your calories - I think you should be pretty pleased at yourself for eating 1500 calories. That must be maintenance, or even losing weight but at a slower pace? Given everything you're going through I think you should be very pleased with that!

You're so right about the 'simple fix'. It could have been so much worse! I will bounce back from this and be better than I have been in years and I will get some walks in before the end of the year. My goal for 2018 was to have a regular activity routine (taking walks mostly) and this should help me meet that goal. I have to say, after 7 years, it does feel good to have a diagnosis. I was beginning to think it was all in my head!

I remember you having surgery. I'm so glad you were able to have surgery and be done with it! Is everything good now? Did the surgery take care of the problem? I am not sure how long I will be off work yet, but since I have no vacation time in my new job yet, this will be the closest I get this summer. Maybe I can at least sit on the deck outside and read on nice days and get caught up on some of my favorite shows on Netflix. :wink:

I hadn't thought of 1500 being maintenance! I haven't gained...just haven't lost. But then, I'm not losing on 1200 either! I really don't want to eat less than 1200 calories a day though. I'd be gnawing on cardboard, I'd be so hungry! The Pain & Spine surgeon I saw last week told me she also specializes in nutrition and hormones. She used to coach people in weight loss. She gave me the name of a couple of books to read on losing weight... She said much of being overweight is hormone-based and encouraged me to read the books with my past history of breast cancer and all the meds I'm on for it.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Hannah, Snowflake1968 and Nickssweetheart - thank you for thinking of me and the positive thoughts! xoxo
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Yesterday's plans changed totally at the last minute because my husband and I decided to take off for the afternoon and go thrift store bumming... So, I'll just post goals for today rather than put a bunch of frowns by yesterdays! We are planning to go to Door County today cherry picking instead of to the flea market. I don't think I could walk around a flea market easily without ending up in pain, so change in plan.

Just for Sunday:
    1. Journal every bite
    2. 1 lb freggies
    3. prep food into serving size baggies for easy grabbing this week
    4. WATER
    5. Self-Care. 30 minutes of something...
    6. Watch my self-talk. Turn negatives to positives. Pick my words carefully.
    7. Be kind.
    8. Gratitude journal / Simple Abundance daily reading / unplug 1 hour before bed.
    9. UP tomorrow without hitting snooze!
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have to have surgery but at least that way it's a "simple fix" (simple in quote marks as clearly nothing simple about it..) which hopefully will mean you are all sorted within a few months?

I went through something similar last year with my surgery - for ages they weren't sure what my condition was and thought it was either something that could be fixed by surgery or something where I'd potentially need to take drugs for quite a few years. It turned out to be the surgery option and I was glad because whilst surgery is no picnic, at least when it's done it's done. Hopefully the same is true for you :smile:

(Plus, time off for surgery is great - obviously there's pain involved, but at the same time you get to sit on your butt and get other people to run around after you whilst you laze around and watch box sets...)

Just on your calories - I think you should be pretty pleased at yourself for eating 1500 calories. That must be maintenance, or even losing weight but at a slower pace? Given everything you're going through I think you should be very pleased with that!

You're so right about the 'simple fix'. It could have been so much worse! I will bounce back from this and be better than I have been in years and I will get some walks in before the end of the year. My goal for 2018 was to have a regular activity routine (taking walks mostly) and this should help me meet that goal. I have to say, after 7 years, it does feel good to have a diagnosis. I was beginning to think it was all in my head!

I remember you having surgery. I'm so glad you were able to have surgery and be done with it! Is everything good now? Did the surgery take care of the problem? I am not sure how long I will be off work yet, but since I have no vacation time in my new job yet, this will be the closest I get this summer. Maybe I can at least sit on the deck outside and read on nice days and get caught up on some of my favorite shows on Netflix. :wink:

I hadn't thought of 1500 being maintenance! I haven't gained...just haven't lost. But then, I'm not losing on 1200 either! I really don't want to eat less than 1200 calories a day though. I'd be gnawing on cardboard, I'd be so hungry! The Pain & Spine surgeon I saw last week told me she also specializes in nutrition and hormones. She used to coach people in weight loss. She gave me the name of a couple of books to read on losing weight... She said much of being overweight is hormone-based and encouraged me to read the books with my past history of breast cancer and all the meds I'm on for it.

All fixed now! I had a very large fibroid which needed removing. It is now gone so problem solved :-) Though, I have lots of internal scar tissue which is apparently not going to go away and which causes some small annoyances. It is better when I eat better.... More reasons to eat well!

Fibroids do reoccur so it's not of the question that I'll have them again... But hopefully not for a few years. And you never know, by that time I might be past the age where I'm considering children and can just have the stupid organ taken out! (I tell you what, if I never have children than I will be cursing ever having had a uterus... What with periods and operations...)

It's strange that you're not losing on 1200. Are you sure you're definitely eating 1200 - are you measuring food so you know exactly how much you've eaten? If so, it might be that your low activity levels make it harder to lose weight. Your metabolism may have slowed a bit. Or it might well be the drugs. The body is a complicated thing.

Not sure what I can suggest there apart from maybe try to eat foods that are bulky with few calories that fill you up? Such as LOTS of veg, for example. Those books you've been given might have more helpful suggestions.

But anyway... The most important thing for you right now is to rest and take care of yourself to get ready for your surgery! (And week/fortnight/month of Netflix!) Losing weight can wait :smile:
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,738 Member
    Options

JFT- Saturday July 28
    2L of Water - :)
    Eat in Maintenance - :)

JFT- Sunday July 29
    2L of water
    Eat in Maintenance
    Laundry

We had such a great day yesterday! We realized it’s the first time since June 2015 we have actually done anything together that was a bit special. We’ve gone out for a meal 3 or 4 times that’s about it. Also realized when I bought a cooler last night it’s the first drink I’ve had since last July!

We built a picnic table for our yard yesterday. Michaela and I bought a tablecloth for it so we’ll have a BBQ and eat at it tonight.

I see stuff I want to comment on but I find it hard on my phone so I’ll do that tomorrow
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB Sorry to hear about you needing an op. But atleast it's a step forward, you know there's a point where you won't have to worry about it anymore. And that could be by the end of this year! You know we'll all be here for you too!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Sorry been MIA last couple days.

Basically hit boiling point and when mum and dad had the kids I lost my *kitten* big time.
    Think I need to up or change my antidepressants.
    Eugh feel like I'm going to be on them forever. Knowing I have to take them makes me feel depressed.

Anyway, as of 10 mins ago I cracked the 2 year sleep regression.
    She's been crying for the last 3 hours. We brought both girls back downstairs for juice and blueberries. They had a play, we all had a laugh together, we had quiet time, then as soon as its bedtime again she started acting up again.
    My 4 year old told her to go to sleep, she threw a fit, and then she was saying Marley I'm sorry don't go to sleep I'm sorry!
    We thought it was so unfair on her, we brought Sask back down so she could sleep on the sofa.

Racking my brains on what I did with Sask at that age.
    And then I remembered.
    I let her cry, scream, whatever. I stay in the room though. Sat on a seat. Back turned.

That's what she wants, she wants me in the room. That's fine but I'm not going to interact or pander to her every desire. So basically she's got what she wanted (me in the room) but not HOW she wanted it (me playing) so she's figured she's getting nothing outta me and guess who's asleep. 10 goddamn minutes it took.
    Wish I remembered this 3 hours ago...

This is exactly what I had to do to get mine to sleep through night Let them cry. Tore my heart out but they (my twins) were 2 and enough was enough!!!.
  • sarah74_vt
    sarah74_vt Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    JFY (Saturday)
    1) Stay "in the green" with my calorie intake :/
    2) Stay "in the green" with my sodium intake :/
    3) Drink all my water before allowing myself to have a Diet Coke :/
    4) Go kayaking with my husband :)
    5) Groceries :)
    6) Log all my food for the day :)

JFT (Sunday)
    1) Stay "in the green" with my calorie intake
    2) Stay "in the green" with my sodium intake
    3) Drink all my water before allowing myself to have a Diet Coke
    4) Go "nature walking" (Because I hate the H-word LOL) with my husband
    5) Laundry
    6) Log all my food for the day
  • Lindsaykathryn
    Lindsaykathryn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is your reminder that there is a new week ahead! Monday's are for fresh starts. If you fell off last week it's ok, pick back up where you left off and push forward! Becoming healthy and losing weight isn't about being perfect, it's about NOT GIVING UP❗❕❗❕
    If you want to see change, you have to make the necessary changes! There is no magic pill - but - hardwork, consistency, and patience will get you results! Trust me, this is what I have used and have been seeing results!🙆‍♀️🙆‍♀️🙆‍♀️
    #LindsaysDiet #ladyboss #ladybosscommunity #ladybosses #healthyeating #fitnessmotivation #fitness #changeisgood #results #fitgirl #fitwomen #gym #gymlife #wlstories #strengthtraining #strong #progress #newweek #loveyourself #gains #lesmills #beforeandafter #beforeandafterweightloss #fattofit #change #mindset #mindsetchange #endorphins
  • jeschepp
    jeschepp Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Ended up sleeping half the day in recovery of all my travel yesterday, and low sleep during my trip. Was very happy to find I still lost weight on vacation! I was pretty careful, but still ended up going over a few days, although usually only 2-300 cals. Nice to know that overall hard work pays off! Not a great day today, but I'm writing it off to travel recovery. Tomorrow is a new day :)

For today:
    Weigh in ✅
    Set weekly goals ✅
    Grocery shop ✅
    30 minutes exercise :(
    Track food and exercise ✅
    Eat all servings of 5 food groups :(
    Meet 1200-1400 net calories, counting exercise :( went over a bit, didn't have groceries.
    Water challenge-80 oz. ✅
    Post here for accountability ✅

For tomorrow (simple due to my long day):
    House chores
    30 minutes exercise
    Maximum pushups
    Track food and exercise
    Eat all servings of 5 food groups
    Meet 1200-1400 net calories, counting exercise
    Water challenge-80 oz.
    Post here for accountability

Weigh in:
    Week 0: 190
    Week 1: 187.6
    Week 2: 187.8
    Week 3: 185.6
    Week 4: 182.2
    Week 5: 179.5
    Week 6: 178.4-on vacation! Super happy with this. 3 pounds until halfway mark!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    I've reset all my weight settings on MFP.

23/07 - 184.5
    30/07 - 184

Tbh, 0.5 of a loss has annoyed me.
    This is the heaviest I've ever been now.
    Feel like I'm getting no where, I can't consistently stick at it, I can't stop eating the things I shouldn't.

Sigh.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options

23/07 - 184.5
    30/07 - 184

Feel like I'm getting no where, I can't consistently stick at it, I can't stop eating the things I shouldn't.

Sigh.

I'm right there with you, Bex. I got on the scale this morning and I'm up a pound. I'm 181 and I've never been in the 180's before except when I was pregnant with my twins.

One thing I would say to you though, is to remember you just had a baby. It's only been months! Your body goes through so many changes that it makes it difficult to lose. Hormones and all that good stuff!! Be kind to yourself. It'll happen. You have a ton going on in your life every single day! (((HUGS)))
  • auntmosmail
    auntmosmail Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Still pretty wiped out over here and I didn't even post yesterday!! Ahh!! I'm feeling a bit more energetic and with it today, so hopefully I can start getting back in gear. The last two weeks I have gained about a pound total and that has been pretty discouraging, but I'm trying to keep my head high and stay motivated. I really haven't accomplished my goals for the past couple of days. So, today we reboot and try again!

Goals for today:
    Make chili for work lunches
    Water plants
    Go for a walk
    Read Bible
    Stay within 1409 calorie goal
    Drink two 24 oz bottles of water at work
    No extra snacking at work
  • Snowflake1968
    edited July 2018
    Options
    JFT- Sunday July 29
    2L of water - :)
    Eat in Maintenance - :)
    Laundry - :)

JFT - Monday July 30
    2L of Water
    Calories in Green by 150
    Outside 15 Minutes
    Work on Applications
    Write in Journal

Had a crappy day yesterday with hubby, I don't know if it was the heat, if he was tired or is I just ticked him off. I seemed to get the silent treatment all afternoon and evening. I bit my tongue and let him have his mood, usually I push and push until we end up in an argument. I hope when I see him tonight his mood has changed.

I ended up not exercising at all Saturday and Sunday. Saturday I got a lot of steps in at the race and building a picnic table in the morning with hubby. Yesterday I didn't do anything but laundry and clean out one dresser drawer. It was just too hot and then when it cooled off I wasn't in the mood for it.

I am in a lot of pain pretty much everywhere, my feet hurt (on the tops), my calves hurt, my back and hips hurt. It feels muscular everywhere. I have had a lot of issues with posture for years causing me pain in different areas and I think that is what is happening now. I need to research some different exercises for core strengthening and some stretching I think.

grcmjkbsfr4g.jpeg
    di99p0xu0e4r.jpeg
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Sorry been MIA last couple days.

Basically hit boiling point and when mum and dad had the kids I lost my *kitten* big time.
    Think I need to up or change my antidepressants.
    Eugh feel like I'm going to be on them forever. Knowing I have to take them makes me feel depressed.

Anyway, as of 10 mins ago I cracked the 2 year sleep regression.
    She's been crying for the last 3 hours. We brought both girls back downstairs for juice and blueberries. They had a play, we all had a laugh together, we had quiet time, then as soon as its bedtime again she started acting up again.
    My 4 year old told her to go to sleep, she threw a fit, and then she was saying Marley I'm sorry don't go to sleep I'm sorry!
    We thought it was so unfair on her, we brought Sask back down so she could sleep on the sofa.

Racking my brains on what I did with Sask at that age.
    And then I remembered.
    I let her cry, scream, whatever. I stay in the room though. Sat on a seat. Back turned.

That's what she wants, she wants me in the room. That's fine but I'm not going to interact or pander to her every desire. So basically she's got what she wanted (me in the room) but not HOW she wanted it (me playing) so she's figured she's getting nothing outta me and guess who's asleep. 10 goddamn minutes it took.
    Wish I remembered this 3 hours ago...

Sorry to hear you are struggling. I was depressed about the fact that I had to be on anti-depressants as long as I was. I was talking to my future son in law's mother about it, she is a professor of psychology at a university here in Canada. I told her that I felt like I was failing life because I needed to be on anti-depressants and couldn't just fix myself with self discipline and determination. She told me that mental health problems including depression are nothing to be ashamed of. Why should we feel we can fix it ourselves when we wouldn't think that about a cancer or any physical ailment. She then went on to tell me that she has been on a mild anti-depressant for over 30 years. She had tried several times to stop and go off it, and she just gets worse each time. She said she quit fighting it because she would take high blood pressure medication daily without a second thought so what was wrong with the anti-depressants? She said once she resigned herself to that she started feeling much better and was able to cope better with everything that life throws at her.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options

23/07 - 184.5
    30/07 - 184

Sigh.

I'm right there with you, Bex. I got on the scale this morning and I'm up a pound. I'm 181 and I've never been in the 180's before except when I was pregnant with my twins.

One thing I would say to you though, is to remember you just had a baby. It's only been months! Your body goes through so many changes that it makes it difficult to lose. Hormones and all that good stuff!! Be kind to yourself. It'll happen. You have a ton going on in your life every single day! (((HUGS)))

What is the old saying, "Two's company, three's a crowd" I guess we are a crowd struggling now. I have been wanting everything that is high in calories and high in carbs. I need to figure out a way not to crave these things and find a better way of avoiding them when I do.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    A quick accountability check in for me and I'll be back later!

JFT Monday
    1. One thing at a time
    2. Be kind and patient
    3. Log all food
    4. Eat when hungry - stop when full
    5. Meds AM and PM
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    Options

23/07 - 184.5
    30/07 - 184

Sigh.

Bex, I am right there with you! My weight is UP to 196 this morning!! Last October I was 187 -- only 9 pounds away from my goal weight of 178. I even find an excuse to run to the grocery store, just so I can buy something"good" to eat.

• sarah74_vt
    sarah74_vt Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    JFY (Sunday)
    1) Stay "in the green" with my calorie intake :)
    2) Stay "in the green" with my sodium intake :/
    3) Drink all my water before allowing myself to have a Diet Coke :/
    4) Go "nature walking" (Because I hate the H-word LOL) with my husband :)
    5) Laundry :)
    6) Log all my food for the day :)

JFT (Monday)
    1) Stay "in the green" with my calorie intake
    2) Stay "in the green" with my sodium intake
    3) Drink all my water before allowing myself to have a Diet Coke
    4) Go to the gym
    5) Weed my gardens
    6) Log all my food for the day
    7) Complete 3 orders from my shop