August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins just one more possible cause for shin splints...over-striding. If you can shorten your forward stride so your feet land under your hips and not in front of you, that should help reduce shin pain. The easiest way to accomplish this is to make sure your cadence is not too slow. About 170-180 steps/minute (both feet) should help get your feet to land underneath you. Just something to think about.

@Scott6255 I'm working on that at the moment, admittedly it has been very slow. I had just started to work on slowing my pace right down to something sustainable for long distances and think I may have drastically reduced my cadence in doing so, the trouble is as soon as I stop thinking about making my steps really short to make up for the increased cadence I go racing off way too fast again. Maybe I need someone behind me with a leash to hold me back lol
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @avidkeo - I don't need my glasses to see distance really so I leave them home. Makes it a bit difficult to read my watch or a text message when I am out but I really don't need to be doing that when I am out running anyways!
    Someone here suggested wiping glasses with shaving cream to keep them from fogging over. It was in response to my question about sunglasses but I expect it would work for regular glasses too.

Hadn't heard about the shaving cream! Might be worth a try! I definitely need mine, can't see more than about a foot in front of my nose so necessary for on coming traffic lol
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    @avidkeo - I don't need my glasses to see distance really so I leave them home. Makes it a bit difficult to read my watch or a text message when I am out but I really don't need to be doing that when I am out running anyways!
    Someone here suggested wiping glasses with shaving cream to keep them from fogging over. It was in response to my question about sunglasses but I expect it would work for regular glasses too.

Hadn't heard about the shaving cream! Might be worth a try! I definitely need mine, can't see more than about a foot in front of my nose so necessary for on coming traffic lol

I was going to say I don't normally wear them. When I race or go places I'm unfamiliar I wear contacts. I wonder if the stuff for scuba masks would work? I dunno.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I normally fuel every 4-5 miles, around the 60 minute mark but with losing steam at the last 3ish miles lately I am going to try fueling every 3-4 miles so for 10 miles today I'll fuel twice instead of once. I added a nuun performance stop twice last week but didn't help that much.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins - The video I was looking for and couldn't find (see my previous post on page 14) talked about using your arm swing to shorten your stride and increase your cadence. If you keep your arms close and not swinging out too far in front of you, you naturally shorten your stride. I was able to do that where I couldn't if I focused on a shorter stride and increased cadence specifically. I had the same issue as you - I would then speed up faster than I wanted to go or could maintain.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

Got in an early run today that went really well.....Actually, any time I'm able to get out the door before 6AM, I consider more of an accomplishment than getting my run in. LOL.

But if I don't get my run in early, I certainly won't do it later in the evening after I get home from work. My brain just shuts off by then. :)

I feel the same way! Evening running is for the birds - I hate it. By 6 pm I'm usually a complete bum the rest of the evening.