August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    one other point. I do like the idea of half marathon race positioned 4-5 weeks out from your marathon. It will be a good gauge of your fitness at that stage since you would be just a couple weeks from a taper and it will help you determine how to pace your marathon, and get race ready. Also serves as a supported test of incorporating what works hydration/nutrition perspective during a race while practicing the same on your own during long runs.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Someone last month mentioned Gypsy Runner for shorts with pockets... Has anyone tried them? Any comments on fit? I am also interested in the shirts. They have some really cute designs.

I bought a pair and love them!

Pros: Nice deep pockets and they don't ride up at all. (I got the 9 inch ones; they stay put well enough that I'm going to buy the 7 inch ones).

Cons: They must be hung to dry, but I have to do that with my running bras, too, so not really a big deal. It does mean that I have to have another pair or two, though.

Also, they don't have a ton of "compression" to them, if that matters. I felt a little...jiggly...in them, so I prefer to wear a longer shirt with them.
    Thanks @5BeautifulDays - I am on the high end of one of the sizes and was trying to decide to go up to the next size or not. I think I will buy the actual size range and hopefully the compression will be good.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I will be in for 160 miles

Are you doing Two Face at North Park?

No... When is it?? For some reason I have not heard of that race... I'm driving back from vacation so I will check it out as soon as I get to a computer
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

No... When is it?? For some reason I have not heard of that race... I'm driving back from vacation so I will check it out as soon as I get to a computer

August 11th. I just found out about it and signed up in the last couple days.
    Dets: https://www.athlinks.com/event/121477
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

August 11th. I just found out about it and signed up in the last couple days.
    Dets: https://www.athlinks.com/event/121477

The picture at the top of that page made me smile - I swear you used to see runners looking forward at the start of a race instead of at their wrists!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    8/1 rest
    8/2 9miles

Started August with a rest day and ran 9 miles this morning. 82 degrees and sunny made it hot! Shady areas made at a little more bearable. My legs feel sore already and I was beat this afternoon. Not sure what is going on or if it’s just running in the heat that’s kicking my butt more than usual.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    So I have a fasting blood draw Monday. I am debating if I run or not. I can do a 40-minute foundation run fasted but I usually eat something after. I can't run any other time of day, too hot. Do I just take a ton of food with me and shovel it in after my blood draw? I risk getting shakey, headache, and crabby with or without the run.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    So I have a fasting blood draw Monday. I am debating if I run or not. I can do a 40-minute foundation run fasted but I usually eat something after. I can't run any other time of day, too hot. Do I just take a ton of food with me and shovel it in after my blood draw? I risk getting shakey, headache, and crabby with or without the run.

Just skip the run for that day. I'm sure there will be opportunity to make it up (if you feel you need to)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

The exercise is probably not a good idea because it may change the levels of whatever they are testing for. Skip it, do another kind of workout indoors if you feel the need later. It's one day.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @shanaber You touched it, you bought it. The heat is all yours now for the rest of the summer!

Another cooler morning today, and as it's Thursday, that meant 1½ hours running 9 miles, followed by another hour with the group running an additional 5. Tomorrow should be my first long run of the training season, so I've got 21 miles planned. That means I need to get up an hour earlier than normal to fit in the extra 5-6 miles, and seeing as I normally get up at 2:30am, I'll probably be in bed before 7pm. :neutral:

In other news, my new Zoom Fly SPs arrived...the upper material is very interesting, they feel comfortable, and I like the look and styling. They're supposed to be better suited for faster-paced runs, so I figured I'd try them out with a small tempo run on either Saturday or Sunday morning. If I like them, I'll keep 'em for speed work and race days, otherwise they're going back to Nike.
    Nike-Zoom-Fly-White-Volt.png?fit=fill&bg=FFFFFF&w=1400&h=1000&auto=format,compress&trim=color&q=90

01 - 15.66
    02 - 14.15

Total: 29.81 / 250 miles

I love the color on these! I've never run in these "rocking horse" type really curved shoes, I wonder what it feels like. Let us know what you think!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

I wouldn't run till after the blood draw, for fear of doing something to skew the results. Assuming it's just a draw for tests and not donating a unit to the Red Cross, you can run after the draw. It's up to you whether you think you'll do better eating after the blood draw and before running, or running fasted.

Assuming the blood draw is as soon as they open, it might still be cool enough for a run, though perhaps shorter than your usual run. If time till it gets too hot is a concern, food needs to be quick. I'd be thinking a banana, run, then have real breakfast given a requirement to run before the day warms up too much.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Today has been super busy so I haven't gotten out to run yet. Aiming to hit the pavement in about an hour or so. One thing I don't like is how narrow the roads here are - no shoulder or sidewalk. It's hard to feel safe. Thinking I'll run in my hi-vis vest since I'll be heading out later than planned. Tomorrow is a travel day so no running.