August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Skipped 100 messages. No run cause took miss 4 to town (2hrs drive each way) and had a girls day. And I'm Wiped! No idea if I'll do my long run tomorrow or Sunday... I'll see what time I wake up I guess.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,004 Member
    Options
    @AprilRN10, Happy Birthday. Mine is tomorrow, the 4th! :)@RunnerGrl1982 I think you are amazing for getting out early to run. I am NOT an early morning person, so just can't make myself get up early to go for a walk/run. I wish I could.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @AprilRN10, Happy Birthday!!!

@quilteryoyo Happy early birthday! :sunglasses:
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I have trouble holding myself accountable, so I downloaded the c25k app. My goal this month is to participate in this app and related strength training apps daily. I hate focusing on weight because j always get discouraged at the plateau. I really just need to build a habit and learn how to adjust as necessary. I'm also a new vegetarian and have a lot to learn about how to get enough protein outside of dinner.

Welcome aboard! I know a lot of people who have had great success with that app, and this board is a great place for great motivation as well.

And welcome also to the veggie world! I suggest you do your research as far as what you truly need as far as your daily needs for macros. But there are a ton of protein sources: tofu, beans, lentils, tempeh, pretty much everything has some kind of protein in it. Good ole tofu scramble for breakfast, salad with steamed lentils for lunch, black beans over sweet potatoes for dinner....yum!
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the bday wishes!
    @quilteryoyo happy bday to you!
  • kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    But the other day I shook my head as I saw a lady geared up and running....in...sandals. Just thought "Better her feet than mine".

My former statistics professor runs barefoot. She mentioned it one day in class and I guess I must have had a look of disbelief on my face becsuse she invited me to go with her on her lunch time run. I couldn't believe it even though I was right next to her. We even ran down by the Schuylkill on a gravel path! She swears her joints aren't affected by the lack of support from a pair of shoes.

That woman is tough.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent movie first, book second

Or just set realistic expectations. Sometimes you need to remember that the director is using the source his own way and to appreciate what they have done. Stanley Kubrics interpretation of "The Shining" isn't a very good representation of the book but its cinnematic artistry at a very high level.

Excellent point. I also like seeing how some books are interpreted into a film like We Need to Talk About Kevin. Both were great and I enjoyed seeing the choices the filmmakers went with. (I don't want to give away anything so this is very vague).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    8/1-2.66mi(2 hours aerial yoga)
    8/2- 1.01(1 hour aerial yoga)
    8/3- (2 hours of aerial hammock and hoop)
    obligatory mile

exercise.png

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    So I have a fasting blood draw Monday. I am debating if I run or not. I can do a 40-minute foundation run fasted but I usually eat something after. I can't run any other time of day, too hot. Do I just take a ton of food with me and shovel it in after my blood draw? I risk getting shakey, headache, and crabby with or without the run.

I wouldn't run till after the blood draw, for fear of doing something to skew the results. Assuming it's just a draw for tests and not donating a unit to the Red Cross, you can run after the draw. It's up to you whether you think you'll do better eating after the blood draw and before running, or running fasted.

Assuming the blood draw is as soon as they open, it might still be cool enough for a run, though perhaps shorter than your usual run. If time till it gets too hot is a concern, food needs to be quick. I'd be thinking a banana, run, then have real breakfast given a requirement to run before the day warms up too much.

@runsonespresso I agree with waiting until after the blood test to run. I'm a bit different (because I don't eat carbs and my muscles are adapted to oxidize fat at higher exertion levels than mosr), so maybe this is a bigger issue for me, but my blood test results are skewed if I go in after exercise. From the best I can tell with the data I can obtain myself, I transfer about 2-3 lbs. worth of fat into my blood when I go out for a run. I use only a part of that and then the remaining fat eventually will return to adipose tissue through re-esterification. However, when blood is drawn shortly after a run, I believe triglycerides will be artificially high as well as possibly some other stuff. Most of what is in my blood after a run is probably free fatty acids and not triglycerides, but I would still be concerned. I made this mistake once and had some higher than expected results, but not astronomical. However, I recall watching the blood fill the vials and could clearly see fat in my blood. It was like oil and water / oil and blood... there was so much that it really stood out.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Great pic of Skip - running shoes and running watch - never leave the house without the essentials. The bike looks great for being a garage stash. Hope she has a decent lock as Bikes are high theft items at campus - quite often they magically return after a few days - I picture another student needing a quick trip home to get there books-pc etc. so they grab and go.
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Re-learning an old lesson: The worst people to run with are runners who are just a little faster than I am. It's easy to let the really fast people go, but the ones who are just a little faster suck me into running faster than I should, to the detriment of my workout.

@MobyCarp Oh so true - that why so many people get pulled off plan at races - the surge at the start and the feeling of I can stay with person X. Ironically set my 10k Pb last summer pulling another runner for 4 km before she dropped and then just kept myself in a "catch the next athlete" pace. Of course it was a perfect day - low humidity, slight cross breeze and 60-65F.

Like everyone else the heat has been beating me up. It'e either scorching 90F or 50F with sheets of rain - no happy medium. Unfortunately for our little club/community we have had 4 people move away this year - to take new jobs or retire. 2 of them were my "Pace Matchs" so not only did I lose 2 friends but 2 runners who helped push each other. Sort of in a group of 1 now - not fast enough to stay with the zoomers and too fast for others, so I find myself slowing down to join the next group.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    8/1/18 2.65 miles
    8/2/18 3.1 miles
    8/3/18 3.1 miles

Total 8.85 /100-115

I had to rearrange my runs this weekend. Today was supposed to be speedwork but since I am moving my long run to Saturday, I went with Saturday's foundation run today. I will attempt the shorter speedwork on Sunday. I ran my usual route the opposite way this morning. My brain is starting to ruminate on some thoughts so I needed to break up routines. Yay anxiety/ocd.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso i found this website to change things up. you can pay for full site but if you are good at remembering a route

happy birthday @AprilRN10

@mobycarp and @juliet3455 yes pace pullers. sneaky energy suckers. i do like doing "catch the next runner" though. with caution. we have a lot of run walkers in my area so they go fast then stop.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @kevaasen i was leaning to the 16 week one. I love fartleks and so does speed demon
    As i don't have a marathon in mind...how would one "stay in a holding pattern"?

Likely a good holding pattern would be base building weekly runs totaling minimum of 50%-60%+ of the peak marathon plan distance each week and likely a long run each week no shorter than 8 miles and likely best if in double digits. So your mileage might vary from low 20's to mid 30's? Other option would be following a HM plan.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kcs76 wrote: »
    But the other day I shook my head as I saw a lady geared up and running....in...sandals. Just thought "Better her feet than mine".

My former statistics professor runs barefoot. She mentioned it one day in class and I guess I must have had a look of disbelief on my face becsuse she invited me to go with her on her lunch time run. I couldn't believe it even though I was right next to her. We even ran down by the Schuylkill on a gravel path! She swears her joints aren't affected by the lack of support from a pair of shoes.

That woman is tough.

I ran barefoot for a while, it is actually very good for your joints and helps teach you proper running from. At the very least you will quickly learn to not foot stomp in bare feet on gravel :lol: More seriously because you can feel what is happening better you can adjust on the fly better. I have heard that some running coaches have their runners run some small portion of their training barefoot for this reason.

It was weather/temps that had me go back to socks and shoes.