August 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    2j7xba3zb80o.jpeg

I very very loosely follow or use an older Higdon training plan (ok, I actually just follow his weekly long run ramp up) on Training Peaks. But I really like his quote I posted here about consistent training.

That's always been my downfall, especially after a race. I followed the advice to rest X days/weeks after races and then I keep resting. After my half marathons, I've found if I go out the day or two after and run, I stick to it.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    2j7xba3zb80o.jpeg

I very very loosely follow or use an older Higdon training plan (ok, I actually just follow his weekly long run ramp up) on Training Peaks. But I really like his quote I posted here about consistent training.

That makes more since than the old 5 days rule. I've found that after incorporating 6-7 day run/bike week, my progress is better (once i got through the first 3 weeks).
    Thanks for sharing that!
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    2j7xba3zb80o.jpeg

I'm not sure that I buy into this... From January 2017 to mid-May 2018 due to several non-running related issues, I only ran about 200 miles after averaging about 1,400 to 1,800 miles per year for the previous 4 years. In mid-May of this year I ran a 50k with no training at all. Granted, I took a DNF, but I did 21 miles and a week later jumped full stride into a 50k training program. I assumed that it would probably be way too much considering essentially a 16 month layoff, but on the contrary I have been pounding the miles that are scheduled without feeling much in the way of negative effects. My body seems to recognize that it has a solid long distance base and is adapting quickly. Now the fact that I am not an athlete, I am not fast and am quite content just finishing my races probably plays into my perception that I have not lost much at all after a lengthy lay off. This article may have more relevance to those runners with greater athleticism and loftier goals in terms of speed and finishing rank.
  • sharniecg
    sharniecg Posts: 14 Member
    Whoops...ticker didn't work for some reason 😃
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    sharniecg wrote: »
    Whoops...ticker didn't work for some reason 😃

You need to wrap it in the IMG tag. Like this:
    [img]https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wYKio7o/exercise.png[/img]

which will give you:

exercise.png
  • kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    8/1 3.5 m
    8/2 Rest
    8/3 Rest
    8/4 3.5 m
    8/5 5m

And I thought it was hot yesterday. Lots of walking breaks in the last two miles and a cold shower the moment I got home to expunge the sweat monster I had turned into.

@MegaMooseEsq re:yoga My hips are the same way. When I first started yoga (3+ yrs) I was confused why people found hip work difficult. With that said, I still struggle with chest openers and shoulder work. I know some women, much more well heeled than I, that go to classes at least three times a week. I can't afford to do that. I mostly do home yoga now. I highly recommend Yoga with Adriene. She has a YouTube channel with tons of free videos. I'm not sure where you live, but lots of studios do a roof top yoga series in the summer. I've had good luck finding those on Facebook Local. Also, you might want to check the Meet Up app to see if any event classes are listed. I found a free Sunday morning class in the park that has been great.

@LaDispute57 that video is killin me. In this heat, I'm so very glad I do not have balls.

Tomorrow is a rest day. Sort of. 10hr work day and lifting after. But I'll be lifting in a nice climate controlled gym. Hooray for a/c.

12/75

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 Fitzy's Run 5k
    12/8 West Reading Run Santa Run 5k
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Still no running this morning, woke up at 6:30am to pouring rain and rolling thunder, so I went back to sleep. But at least it's much cooler than yesterday!

@LaDispute57 I love Xeros. I don't use them for running, but I've got a pair of Hanas that I go to work with and Huaraches that double as flipflops when traveling. It's great to be able to feel the ground underfoot.