August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    So this is all self diagnosed, but as a former LMT, (& nurses aide) I think I have a pretty good idea of what is physically going on. True, I'm not a doctor or NP, but I when I read through different sources, go back to my old books & such, I think I'm a least in the right ball park anyways.

After my run yesterday, I felt a nice, sharp pain in my right hip. Did not go away throughout the day or evening, and is still with me today. When I move, do self manipulations or stretches I am oh so aware that it is inflamed. Ya, I think I've got a case of acute hip bursitis. Dang it.

Its all my fault, I've not been as stringent - ok, I've not stretched out after my runs this past week or so, and I've ignored my body's signals to take time, stretch &/or yoga it out. But with my monthly goal set higher (I know, "injuries" come 1st) because I have that "Revenge" 5K in a few weeks, just how long should I take off running to let it get better?

I am on a rest day today, plan was to run tomorrow & Tuesday, rest Wed. (run 2 days, rest 1 routine) Now thinking plan is just doing Yoga tomorrow & seeing how it goes for Tuesday, either yoga, swim or run if I feel up to it, rest Wed, then back running on Thur? Or is that pushing it?

Hips are complicated! When mine hurts it's usually IT band, and when my husband's hurts it's usually piriformis. Do you like your shoes?

I usually find running with mild hip aches is fine for me and even improves it, but it depends very much on what the problem is. Sharp pain sounds bad. It won't hurt you to get a few more days of rest.

Ya, my shoes are fine, been running on them since the beginning of the year. They are the upgraded version of the shoes I've been running in for a while. (Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18).

I've had feet issues (resulting in surgeries!) and knee problems on my left knee starting back when I was in middle school waaay back when in the early '80's, but this is the 1st time I can recall having a hip issue. Hoping a few days of Yoga, icing & "rest" will get me back to it. Already feeling a bit guilty for not going out this morning! lol
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info @workaholic_nurse. I live in a rural area so I am mostly concerned with critters.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Thanks for the info @workaholic_nurse. I live in a rural area so I am mostly concerned with critters.

That would be my concern too. Dh has just been pardoned, and he bought a handgun. We've yet to do the cc course. I've mixed feelings about it. He found something like deringer size, but revolver with 6 shots, thinks i should carry on runs/bikes. Like i said, I'm mixed over it. Once in a while i remember to grab a good pocket knife. Figure that'd get me out of trouble with most potential animal attacks.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

That would be my concern too. Dh has just been pardoned, and he bought a handgun. We've yet to do the cc course. I've mixed feelings about it. He found something like deringer size, but revolver with 6 shots, thinks i should carry on runs/bikes. Like i said, I'm mixed over it. Once in a while i remember to grab a good pocket knife. Figure that'd get me out of trouble with most potential animal attacks.

have you considered bear spray too? spray for distance, knife for close encounters
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I did something really stupid this morning - left for my run without eating anything. Sheesh - I should know better. But I'm also struggling figuring out what to eat. We don't keep bread in the house anymore so no bagel or toast. We do have a bunch of fruit so I've been eating some of that. I know there are others eating low-carb - what do you eat before a run?

exercise.png

June goal - 44 miles - done
    July goal - 52 miles - done
    August goal - 57 miles

Next race: Sept. 30 - Wineglass, Corning
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    4 at tempo. The Red Sox had me up until midnight. At least they won. (Sorry Bronx Bombers, you had 78. This year things are different "I hope")

exercise.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i haven't run CC because i haven't gathered the money to get a small weapon. i have a full size walther 9mm. that and i haven't been able to commit to range time which i think is important. i believe there are free courses for the ccw around here. but i also run with 2-3 dogs and usually that is enough of a deterrent. I would not feel safe in my area otherwise.
    muggings and assaults and shootings are not uncommon. shh don't tell my parents
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I take my dogs when I walk but they are not good runners. I do carry pepper spray with me, but it wouldn't be very effective against rattlesnakes and I'm not sure I would want a big dog or a coyote to get close enough to spray it.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Hmm temps heading into the 90s... I think I will wait till much closer to sunset to run!