August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I did something really stupid this morning - left for my run without eating anything. Sheesh - I should know better. But I'm also struggling figuring out what to eat. We don't keep bread in the house anymore so no bagel or toast. We do have a bunch of fruit so I've been eating some of that. I know there are others eating low-carb - what do you eat before a run?

I don't eat before a run. I've personally found that if i just add a few good carbs to the day before, I'm fine- but it is 95-100° here so i can't tell that any fuel helps in the least (that may change when it cools off). I usually run in the afternoon, 4-5 hours after lunch.
    Occasionally I'll run at lunchtime having had egg bites (from Starbuck) or a skyr yogurt or protien shake early-mid morning. And coffee.

If i were to do morning runs...like weekends which are mid morning really, just coffee. I might grab a banana or a peach or something like that for the drive to the park. Maybe a boiled egg. But that involves cooking to some degree, which i have ne'rly boycotted.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    No run today. I’ve been bad about strength training for the last few weeks, but I drove to the gym and did about 1/2 an hour of full body exercises.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    @LaDispute57 - Nice shoes! I will have to check them out. I assume they make road shoes too?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    I am back for August. Late to the party, but here.

My husband decided to take an out of state training trip last week of July, leaving me with the kids and orientations at schools. So, I only finished July with 36 miles.

I am going to set goal of 50 miles in August and stretch goal of 60 miles.

All caught up on the thread and some of the comments might be a little late for the discussion -

@shanaber - Love Gypsy Runner products. She has a guarantee on fit also - if a pair does not fit, you can exchange them for a size up or down.

I carry same pepper spray as @amymoreorless and @kgirlhart. My husband takes over protectiveness to the extreme, so I have to carry it with me. I usually run solo.

Registering for the Twilight Classic today because I want the shirt.

08/06 - 3.44 miles

Upcoming races (Question marks are races not yet registered for):
    Louisiana Marathon Quarter Marathon - 01/13/2018 - Done
    Mardi Gras Mambo 10K - 02/17/2018 - Done
    Q50 Races Sunset Gulf - 6.5 miles 3/24/2018 -DNS
    Fat Boy 5K - 04/14/2018 - Cancelled due to Tornado Warning
    Active for Autism 5K - 05/05/2018 - Done - Walked
    AKA CANN 5K - 06/02/2018 - Done - Run/Walk
    BIG EASY BIG HEART 5K 7/21/2018 - Done
    Twilight Classic - 08/25/2018 -?
    Saints Kick Off Run - 09/08/2018 -?
    WHOA Racing Cane Field Classic 2018 (Machete 7 – 1 mile/4 mile/2mile) 10/13/2018-
    Cajun Cup OR Middendorf's Manchac Run - 11/10/2018 - ?
    St Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend 10K - 12/01/ 2018
    Bonfire Festival 5K - 12/16/2018 - ?
    Louisiana Marathon Weekend - Quarter Marathon - 01/19/2019
    *squeak* Hi...I'm totally new on this, but not new to running. I'm going to set my goal for 50. So far in August, I've completed 6.18 miles.

Welcome (back) to the 50 mile club!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    anyone have done the Gandy Marathon. looks nice. not too far away. distance wise. i'm not ready time wise

I could definitely see myself doing that half next year. I don’t think I’d want to travel for a 5K and even if I were up for a half by then this year (maybe?) the TC marathon is the weekend before and I’m signed up for the 5K. I kind of suspect I may only want to do that one once, though - I’m guessing it’s going to be a circus. Gandy might be more my speed in the future.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    08/01/18 :::: 6.3 :::: 6.3
    08/02/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 9.9
    08/03/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 9.9
    08/04/18 :::: 14.3 :::: 24.2
    08/05/18 :::: 5.2 :::: 29.4
    08/06/18 :::: 3.8 :::: 33.2/ 150 goal

I decided to treadmill it today given the 90 degree temps again. I did the run before my circuit training class and I'm not sure I would have been any sweatier if I had run outside. And then I did the class and got even sweatier, somehow. I've rarely felt so disgusting. But it rained while I was in there and the temp dropped almost 20 degrees. I should have waited! But not really because I was so tired after class I could barely move.

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @LaDispute57 - Nice shoes! I will have to check them out. I assume they make road shoes too?

Those are road shoes...
  • LaDispute57
    Options
    Anyone else use Shoe Goo to milk a few more miles out of some of your favorite shoes?
    o2i2cc04gyk4.jpg
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I was just about to register for the Two Face at North Park but realized that I have long training run scheduled for Saturday (my longest one so far) and not sure I want to move it to Sunday after doing a race...

Hey, if it was me, I would. But I do all kinds of things that runners (even on this thread) insist is not smart, so might not want to take my advice on any of this.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So I done did it. I signed up for the Full Pittsburgh Marathon again AND I will do Glacier 50k the week after again. One of these days I will learn better... but this is not that day!

That's a crazy schedule. Or it was when you did it this year. Now that you have done it once, next year it's just another couple of weekends...

I can't do the Pittsburgh Marathon. I think about it, but there are way too many runners and it's in the city and too much chaos with the crowds and vendors. I just can't...(said in my whiniest voice).

I will, however, be doing Glacier Ridge again too... and I am giving some serious thought to doing the 50 mile distance this time. I have been running those trails for years now so I think it's a pretty manageable course for that distance.

I have considered the 50 miles, and decided it is just too many hours. I am sure I could handle the miles, but the TIME is the issue right now. At least for the short term, I am setting my cap at 50k. Subject to change at any time. :)

• LaDispute57
    Options
    @PastorVincent I was just about to register for the Two Face at North Park but realized that I have long training run scheduled for Saturday (my longest one so far) and not sure I want to move it to Sunday after doing a race...

Hey, if it was me, I would. But I do all kinds of things that runners (even on this thread) insist is not smart, so might not want to take my advice on any of this.

Lol... that's true...you are a special sort of nut. It probably wouldn't kill me to do the 12 miles on Saturday and then another 24 on Sunday, but right after I put up that last post I got an email reminder from my doctor that I am scheduled for a biopsy on Friday, which I had forgotten to put on my calendar, so I'm guessing that it's smarter to stick with my 24 on Saturday and 5 on Sunday rather than pushing it by doing that race.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Anyone else use Shoe Goo to milk a few more miles out of some of your favorite shoes?
    o2i2cc04gyk4.jpg

If I posted a picture of shoes and told you how many miles I have on them so far, you would likely not believe me. :D Let's just say I have exceeded the maximum recommendations... and probably will not buy another pair until October at this rate... if that soon. :)
  • LaDispute57
    Options
    Subject to change at any time. :)

Like January when registration opens. :D:p
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Lol... that's true...you are a special sort of nut. It probably wouldn't kill me to do the 12 miles on Saturday and then another 24 on Sunday, but right after I put up that last post I got an email reminder from my doctor that I am scheduled for a biopsy on Friday, which I had forgotten to put on my calendar, so I'm guessing that it's smarter to stick with my 24 on Saturday and 5 on Sunday rather than pushing it by doing that race.

You could do just 1 face, the 10k trail race, that is only what 6.2 miles or something?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Subject to change at any time. :)

Like January when registration opens. :D:p

Oh, my trail shoes have like 60 miles on them or maybe 100 at most. Its been a bad couple months for running. BUT THAT CHANGES TODAY... *looks at clock*...eeerrrr... TOMORROW!
  • LaDispute57
    Options
    o2i2cc04gyk4.jpg

If I posted a picture of shoes and told you how many miles I have on them so far, you would likely not believe me. :D Let's just say I have exceeded the maximum recommendations... and probably will not buy another pair until October at this rate... if that soon. :)

I'd believe you. :) I push it with my shoes too... Those red and yellow Merrells have nearly 900 miles on them..
  • LaDispute57
    Options

You could do just 1 face, the 10k trail race, that is only what 6.2 miles or something?

Yeah... but then I would only get a half of a medal...lol
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    o2i2cc04gyk4.jpg

I'd believe you. :) I push it with my shoes too... Those red and yellow Merrells have nearly 900 miles on them..

900? Psft. Amature Check these out that just crossed 1100 miles:
    titgch4zcxou.jpg