WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2018

Replies

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Hello, everyone. My story is similar to many of yours. My husband passed away 6 1/2 years ago. After 3 years, I finally accepted and tried to move on by taking his clothing to a nearby organization where they could be used. Shortly after my husband passed away, I decided I, too, had to get the sugar back under control as I'm Type 2. My weight gain had reached 215. Committed myself to exercising again (hubby and I exercised 3 times a week because of his health needs). Was successful getting my weight down to 175. Then my sister (only living sibling) became ill. She lived 126 miles away. A promise to my Dad while I was caring for him that he should not worry about my baby sister because I would make sure she was OK. Drove that 126 miles weekly for 2 years and then she sold her home and moved to my hometown to make it easier on the both of us. Five months after she moved, she passed away in September 2017. Two months after she passed away, I had a total knee replacement. It has been a tough time trying to deal with her passing and my inability to be as active as I've been in the past. When the scales tipped to my old weight, I promised myself it would off. This weight gain has caused a lot of swelling that is definitely uncomfortable. As you will read in this message, I'm definitely depressed. It will pass I know; however, the fact that you are all here to encourage and support will make this journey so much easier.

Thanks from my heart,
    HappyJoGardener
    South Carolina

Welcome to the group. Wow you really have had a time of it. Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you know what you need to do which is important. This is a good group who are a good support for weight loss as well as life in general. Stop by often and just chime in when you feel like it. What do you want to be called?
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,820 Member
    Good morning all! Happy Friday! Doing the Friday dance! I have to work this weekend, too, but weekends are a lot more laid back.
    I just did the math for Machka's grad ceremony. 11am (Tasmania/Hobart time) is 9pm tonight for those of us in the Eastern Time Zone!

Janet-Your granddaughter is a beauty! I am sure when she looks back on her senior photos she will be glad she didn't still have the teal colored hair! That Cameo ornament! <3<3 I have always been a cameo nut and I think that is just stunning! Nice work!

Penny "Somewhere over the Rainbow...way up high, there's a land that I heard of..." Now we know that they are talking about Norway! Wonderful that you were able to witness this very rare rainbow!

Heather- The kids look like they are having a good time! Is house swapping popular over there? When my daughter was doing her year abroad (in Angers, France), couchsurfing was just becoming big. As a parent, THAT made me nervous. She visited many areas in France, Italy, Switzerland, and Spain by couchsurfing and made some great friends. She always "surfed" with a friend to minimize danger.

I am looking for your (all of you ladies) thoughts on "health foods". I am talking packaged items like Bolthouse farms and brands like it. I have a DH who comes home from the store with these quite pricey healthy beverages and foods. It is maddening to me, because with his RA, we never know what is going to turn him into a statue-unable to move, from one day to the next. I send him to the store for tart cherry juice and he comes home with a juice blend with vitamin additives. When I try to explain the "whole foods" mentality, as in the whole fruit or only one ingredient on the label, nothing you can't pronounce added; he says "It says "healthy" or "organic" on the label. Am I being to rigid with my food suggestions to him? We don't usually buy packaged health foods, because I do the cooking and buy whole fresh foods to cook. Do any of you ladies or DH's with joint or chronic pain consume the packaged health foods? Do you think it works for you? I trust you all; and if you told me that it is something that works, I will zip my lip and let him have it.

kids arriving! gotta fly! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    KJ - Almost anything packaged as healthy probably is a con. You are completely right to insist on the real stuff. Organic doesn't mean anything. Just no pesticides.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,023 Member
    I agree with you Kelly. Just because something is labelled healthy and organic does not necessarily mean it is the best thing for your health. They do make organic cookies. That does not mean they are a healthy choice. I recently read that look for the fiber content on your labels. Ideally it should be at 20%. If some kind of sugar is in the first three ingredients hopefully there is a better choice. If there an ose in the word it is some kind of sugar like maltose. Sometimes product labelled healthy and organic are marketing ploys that mislead the consumer into thinking they are making a good choice.

I recently talked about how high fructose corn syrup ratio is 55% fructose as opposed to 50% in cane sugar. Now when they replace there high fructose corn syrup with cane sugar we think we are eating a healthier product. Not so if the sugar content stays the same.

I am on your page the more it is a food that is not added to with fillers, chemicals, and processed the more likely it is to be better for you. Example an orange over orange juice. A beet over beet powder or beet chips. I used the example of potato chips to a friend. You could buy a five pound bag of potatoes for the cost of one bag of family size chips. The mark up on processed foods is high in cost, calories, and effect on health.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited August 2018
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka, I just went and looked for the link you said you posted in a 50+ group. I searched on the messageboard area, put in "50+" but nothing else came up. How do we go about finding this link? I see no reason why you can't post the link right here on this thread. The only links that are not allowed are ones that are advertising/profit making for someone (potentially blogs) and other competing websites to MFP, otherwise, my understanding is that links are A-okay. Am I correct in saying this, Barbara? <3 Wendy

We're not allowed identifying links like FB either. But go to Groups and it's there. :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/123702-women-ages-50

If Tasmania is in the same time zone as Hobart (my google-fu is not strong today) then Machka’s graduation is 9:00 pm tonight US Central time. The link is in the board above.

Rye

Oops- KJ beat me to it. lol
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited August 2018
    Machka I must have missed Lisa's 50+ group link back in November, thanks for posting that. I, too, had unsuccessfully looked for your graduation link, and now I am happy to say I have seen you graduate once & even know how to see you graduate again this weekend! Yay! And congratulations on such an accomplishment.

Carol Taking food to grill at someone else's house is my idea of the way to do things. Yes. Have a great time.

Janetr Isn't your granddaughter beautiful! And I love the new ornament.

Wendy That is interesting info about turmeric. I have some but don't use it every day. I will now.

Kelly My partner wants very specific things from the grocery store, and I take photos of them at home, or take the empty container or label to be sure I get the right things when I do the shopping. That might help your husband bring home the items you have in mind. He sounds a little gullible when it comes to label reading.

Concerning the concept of processed food, that, too, is a conundrum.

All oils are processed, so does that mean olive oil is bad? Cheese is a processed food. Canned foods (like chick peas) are processed. Some people would shun these foods, others would include them in their food plans. Each of us has to draw a line somewhere, but to me it isn't as obvious as it should be. I'm very interested in which processed foods other people avoid, and why. I have a colleague who won't eat dairy or meat, but does eat organic vegan snacks & foods (packages of processed food).

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    ryenday wrote: »
    Machka, I just went and looked for the link you said you posted in a 50+ group. I searched on the messageboard area, put in "50+" but nothing else came up. How do we go about finding this link? I see no reason why you can't post the link right here on this thread. The only links that are not allowed are ones that are advertising/profit making for someone (potentially blogs) and other competing websites to MFP, otherwise, my understanding is that links are A-okay. Am I correct in saying this, Barbara? <3 Wendy

We're not allowed identifying links like FB either. But go to Groups and it's there. :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/123702-women-ages-50

If Tasmania is in the same time zone as Hobart (my google-fu is not strong today) then Machka’s graduation is 9:00 pm tonight US Central time. The link is in the board above.

Rye

Oops- KJ best me to it. lol

Hobart is the capital city of the state of Tasmania. :)

We're also in the same time zone as Sydney and Melbourne ... some time zone information will only say "Sydney" and not list the rest of the places in the same zone.

Machka in Oz

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited August 2018
    Like Karen in Virginia I take pictures of the exact items I want and specify to DH : NO SUBSTITUTIONS. He still brings home expensive junk with misleading labels but I get my dried tart montmorency cherries too.

Rye
  • renewnancy
    renewnancy Posts: 1 Member
    I am a newcomer to the group..... Setting a goal to lose 1/2 pound per week since I’ve lost and gained the same 10 a few times for the last year. Also setting the goal of REALLY using this app to track and stay on track. Thanks for the focused group for us “older women” who have unique challenges to maintaining health!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    yesterday's stats

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.31min, 12.6amph, 124mhr, 1.5mi= 63c
    apple watch- 58c
    TREADMILL slow jog- 34.42min, 11.34min mi, 5.0-5.4sp, 130ahr, 139mhr, 3mi= 323c
    apple watch- 424c
    ARMDIP and CHINUP assist machine- 10.23min, 136mhr, 121ahr, 5sets of 10ea then 4sets of 10, bounce single leg bounce toe touches, 132mhr= 100C
    apple watch- 84c
    ride gym 2 dome- 5.21min, 16.6amph, 120mhr, 1.4mi= 47c
    apple watch- 43c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn sta- 15.03min, 12.1amph, 117ahr, 159mhr, 3mi= 138c
    apple watch- 114c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.07min, 9.57min mi, 135ahr, 147mhr, .5mi= 65c
    apple watch- 57c
    jog wk 2 sumn sta- 4.32min, 9.53min mi, 159mhr, .4mi= 71c
    apple watch- 55c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 153mhr, 210c
    apple watch- 139c

total cal 1017
  • cityjaneLondon
    My DH is the opposite - as I am getting low on things I write them on a blackboard in the kitchen. When he goes off to shop I tell him, the list is not exhaustive or exclusive and to use his own intelligence. He rarely buys "off list" and when I say "where is the cheese? " he says "it wasn't on the list". :# Very rarely he buys the wrong brand, but not often, he is a creature of habit and not a lateral thinker. He is very good at doing his fair share around the house though, so I'm not complaining. <3

We have agreed to pay less for the fridge and we don't want the internal curtains. They are leaving us parking vouchers. :D Still querying about phone points as they have cable, which we do not.
    Must defrost our freezer. :#:#:#:#:#

Many congrats Machka on your diploma. :flowerforyou: You have worked hard and persevered against all odds.
    I never went to my own graduation, nor those of my children's, though my ex did. In those days I was convinced that the luck of being born intelligent and being privileged enough to go to uni was not something to be celebrated. I still think that, but the rewards of hard work are something to be proud of. :D:p
    I bet you are all glad you were not born my children. :o:o I did not believe in praising them for their natural born assets. Now I praise my grandchildren all the time!!!! :laugh:

Love and praise to all of you who work hard for every small achievement. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Lanette: My blueberry bushes are considered "midseason" plants and they're still going strong. I pick them about every other day. This is their most productive year so far. This morning, the view across the Columbia River into Washington seems a bit hazy, although not nearly as bad as last year. :noway: I hope it doesn't get any worse. :heart: My car is great. DH's car is still at the dealer. The mechanic can't find anything wrong with it. We'll be going in today so DH can evaluate whether or not he is satisfied. :star:

Wendy: Why do you want to squeeze your delightful self into a mold? I have never seen turmeric in a ziplock bag before. All or ours are in capsules. I hope your relationship with your daughter continues to flourish. :flowerforyou:

HappyJoGardiner: You've found a wonderful group of supportive women. Stop by often to give and get support. :flowerforyou:

Janetr: Your DGD is lovely. :smiley:

Heather: Sending good thoughts your way for a successful move. :heart:

Allie: Good luck in front of the judge. :flowerforyou:

KJ: We don't use packaged health foods. We buy fresh meats and produce at the grocery store. In years past we did quite a bit of buying at a farm store, but this year the available fruits and veggies were not up to their usual high standards. :ohwell:

Terry: Good luck with your upholstery project. :star:

Karen: DH is now on a gluten-free, FODMAP diet and that has certainly made us learn to do things differently. The dietary change is working well for him. I am NOT on a gluten free diet, but I have to avoid lactose. We are using tried and true recipes from our lives together, and adjusting certain ingredients. It is working pretty well. :flowerforyou:

NYKaren: Happy travels. Check in when you can. :star:

Yoga today! Yay!!! I suspect we will also be going back to the VW dealer and I hope we're bringing home DH's car.
    Our view across the river to WA State to the east of us is not quite as hazy as it was yesterday.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Love yourself—accept yourself—forgive yourself—and be good to yourself, because without you the rest of us are without a source of many wonderful things.” Leo F. Buscaglia
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    Janet - Your GD is beautiful. Love the ornament

Penny - What a pretty rainbow

Allie - We had a house foreclosed on in 2016, my husband had been out of work for over 2 years and I just couldn't do it on my own. When I went in front of the judge the first time he gave us another 6 months to try to do something. We could either sell or just wait it out. During the wait period we also didn't have to make any mortgage payments. Maybe the judge will do the same for you, it's a shame the mess parents can leave for their children to deal with. Good Luck

Kelly - My husband believes all of the slick marketing about "healthy", "organic", etc. Luckily for me he doesn't buy groceries ever! I find most of it is a gimmick and in a few years time they announce how bad it is for us. Stick to your guns!

Rye - Thanks for the time change conversion for Machka's grad

Wendy Thanks for the tumeric information. You are just a wealth of knowledge.

Heather - You remind me so much of a first cousin of mine. My Dad's side of the family is very large so her children are actually my age. She had 4 boys and her husband was a long haul trucker. She was the strictest mother I knew. I thought she was awful when we were young, but she has 4 very successful men now that have the greatest respect for women that I have ever seen. What is the phone prong thing you mentioned about the house?

This has been the longest and yet shortest week I have had in a long time. I can't believe it is already Friday, but feel like the days have just crawled when I look at them individually.

Tomorrow my youngest and I are going to an antique store to shop for some wedding decorations. When she set her date in December I felt we had a long time to do things and now it's already less than 11 months away. Our goal was to have most of the decorations bought this summer so the winter could be spent working on other expenses. I am thankful that they are paying for most of it themselves, but we are contributing the same amount we spent on our eldest daughters. Funny how two girls raised in the same house want such completely different things. Our eldest had a very small wedding with about 30 guests. Our youngest is expecting around 120. Budget wise our eldest spent probably $7000 altogether. (She had two different days, one in Alberta and one in New Brunswick) so part of her $7000 was actually flights. Our youngest has a budget of $20K we will be contributing about $5000 of it.

The heat was insane yesterday, it was 38 Celcius when I got home. I was not interested in cooking in the heat so we went out for supper. May do the same tonight as it is not even noon and already 23, supposed to be 32 by 2.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • cityjaneLondon
    Tracey - my boys just think my principles are very amusing. I have a lot of them. I am well known for being opiniated. :laugh: When I talk about something they just go "Yer, yer, yer ......" They've heard it all before. I wasn't strict, just very keen on truth, justice and fairness. I also try not to let my heart get in the way of my head, which baffles people sometimes. I will always go for the rational over the emotional. Of course, I am only human ............ :o

The phone thing is a connection point for a phone in houses. I was worried because they are on cable which needs a special cable modem etc. We just have a phoneline connecting modem. Anyway, there are such normal connection points in two downstairs rooms so we can just plug in and wait for our phone company to connect us. They say it shouldn't take long. ;):*
    We may switch to cable, which is faster, once we have settled in, but we need to get connected asap. I imagine we take on their number, but I'm not sure. Will have to check that.

It's been raining all day. The grass is happy. The lanes are under water.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• cityjaneLondon
    edited August 2018
    KJ - House swapping is fairly popular over here. Obviously it helps if you live in a popular area. Hove is just such an area. I swapped a lot when I had a flat in London. Paris many times, Tuscany in Italy, Brussels, Cornwall. DDIL finds it difficult to swap online with a desirable enough house (this time it is a lot smaller than hers) so she may be going down the route of renting hers out for her holiday to a company that clean before and after and provide their own linens, insurance etc. That way she will have the money to rent something she really wants, rather than make do with what is available. The company have been to vet the house and take photos, so I hope it works out.
    House swapping is very economical - a flat in central Paris for a week for nothing!! - but entails quite a lot of work getting your own place ready. I might consider swapping with the Paris people again once we have a desirable location again for them. They don't seem too keen on our country pad. :o:/:| They have just got married after many years together. At least they know our dirt! We absolutely adored our many trips there and really got to know Paris well. Partly because you do so much strolling about. :DB)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx