Replies

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Thank you for your kind words about the visit of our son and his family. We are absolutely thrilled that they are coming. I suspect the baby will be pretty busy, even though he is young. He'll be 8 months old when they are here; he was born December 22. :heart:

JenHayford: Welcome to a great group. Stop by often for encouragement and support. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I love your dog photos! :smiley:

Wendy: Your best friend has a lovely face. Tell her I said so. :wink:

Barbie: It appears that you are Bessie's safe place. :flowerforyou: It hasn't rained here lately but the sky is overcast this morning. :star:

Pip: Your Airstream is gorgeous. I had hoped that we'd be able to come up and watch the MS ride this year, but the visit of DS and family makes this year impossible for us. I'm hoping to see it in person next year. :flowerforyou:

Machka: Congratulations on your diploma. :star::flowerforyou: :star:

Kim: It sounds as though your mom is in survival mode at this point. I don't want to think about how difficult your brother's terminal illness must be for her. :flowerforyou:

NYKaren: Enjoying every moment with the baby and our son and ddil is exactly what we plan to do. :bigsmile:

Penny: I love the boat photo. I can't imagine living in the conditions that the crew would have endured. :noway:

Heather: I was once diagnosed with ITBS. In my case the underlying problem was lactose intolerance. When I solved that, everything improved. I can digest cheese but not cream, milk or butter. My DH has been put on a FODMAP diet because he is wheat intolerant. The diet has helped significantly. It is possible that a dietary adjustment could help your DH if he has a food intolerance issue. If it is caused by stress, yoga or meditation come to mind. :heart:

Lisa: You are doing a great job with your health and your life. :star:

Machka: We have two magnetic boards hung in our office & use magnets to stick things on them. We bought these boards from Walmart. I have no idea where you might find them. :flowerforyou:

I'm looking forward to a riding lesson today from my teacher. She is rarely available and this will be a treat. I was late getting to the last opportunity and missed her altogether. I am NOT planning to miss this one.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“There is no greater power or connection than to be in harmony with one’s self, to fully embrace who we are. The key to unlocking who we are is acceptance.” – Panache Desai
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,490 Member
    Options
    Not much of a gardener, love to browse the seed catalogs, plan and start seeds. Then my lack of consistency kicks in. By August in Idaho everything that wasn't weed-choked was dead of desiccation. The marine layer here is much more forgiving! Yesterday actually harvested some red leaf lettuce from the cool and shady side of the house and it was yummy! Reminds me again of the difference in taste (and nutritional value) of home grown from store bought. One of the gals from T'ai Chi brought in beet and green onion seedlings in Jiffy pots. Can't imagine transplanting beets will work, but what the hey, they're free! Got 4 beets and a dozen green onions into the soil, put the rest of the peat pots under lights in the garage till I get another burst of garden frenzy energy... ;)

Rye safe travels!
    Dana what is the difference you see turmeric made in your ankles?
    Kay "...can't bring myself to throw away good food..." you said it sister. Means any change in my eating habits will be gradual, tiny, slow and gradual, but hopefully lasting! Moderation in all things.
    Wendy
    Please share the Russian princess photos again once they're photoshopped. I shake my head in wonderment at your imagination! Between you and KJ you open doors of marvelling to me.
    Beth the glow "bowls" crack me up. (((hugs)))
    Machka "I also looked up at my husband who was sitting in a balcony seat watching me and we smiled at each other" choked me up. Brava!
    NYKaren "no coffee at breakfast" What??? :noway: Didn't coffee originally come from that part of the world? Brava for being foresightful.
    Heather adding your DH to the list, hoping he'll tell the MD and get IBS checked out. Would you tell us more about his Winfreth series?
    Lisa "seriously hate clothes shopping...the inevitable time and fuss it takes..." ditto. Never can seem to take the time to paint my face, just as well cuz when I do, it looks like my name is Pablo Picasso.
    Allie glad you got some sleep. We are in your pockets and hope the judge has little patience with nasty lawyers.

Where is Mary from AZ?

Welcome terme22, Jen from Alpine!

Time to meditate, exercise, shower, break fast then worship.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 9/11, meditate 7/11, walk one more step 4/11, knee exercises 7/11, core 4/8, walk Tumble 5/8 times, SWSY 0/4, hang up or purge art 0/1, AF 9/11
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Oh yeah, a P.S. The beach was not as crowded as it could have been yesterday and I really wondered where everyone was. I found out last night that on Friday the biting flies were everywhere up and down the lakeshore; chasing people off the beaches, off the lake, and into homes and businesses. I guess they were really bad. One "bad" thing to be grateful for! First time biting flies has ever made it into my gratitude journal!

thank you so much for saying that, i appreciate it.

today, no workout, going to go pickup bette (airstream) and getting it ready for the ride
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    Machka,

Might be possible to pick up something like this and arrange the postcards in pleasing, orderly fashion on the wheels and/or frame by putting magnets on the postcards. Or putting them in magnetic frames.

il_570xN.1061526611_ftgy.jpg?version=1

Lisa

some people spray paint bikes white and put them along side the road where someone got hit/killed while riding their bike
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I'm trying to organise things a tiny little bit at a time when I've got a second or two.

I collect greeting cards with bicycles and I've got enough of them that I've thought it might be a good idea to frame them rather than have them scattered everywhere.

What I'd like are various sized frames that can be clicked together (magnetically or with velcro or hooks or something) to create a collage frame.

I know I can get collage frames, but I'd like to be able to create my own pattern and be able to add to it, and move things around as I want.

Does anything like this exist ... that I can get here in Australia ... for a reasonable price?

Something like this could potentially work ... but it doesn't look like they ship to Australia. With good reason probably, it is really expensive to ship stuff to Australia.

Umbra's Trickle Picture Frame
    Umbra_Trickle_1008229-158.jpg

Or there's always this idea ... and I could potentially make that myself, but it looks just a bit messy to me.

Millanocket Metal Wheel Photo Holder Wall Decor by Trent Austin Design
    millanocket-metal-wheel-photo-holder-wall-decor.jpg

However, I'm also considering the option of getting a collection of inexpensive picture frames and adhesive magnetic strips so that I can "click" them all together, and unclick and move them around as desired.

You're a creative bunch. :) Have any of you done anything like this?

Machka in Oz

I like the bicycle wheel and think it’s appropriate for you, but I agree it looks a bit cluttered. I think it’s the clothespins, maybe paper clips would make it feel less cluttered.

However, I absolutely love your idea of magnetic strips to make your own collage frame. The only thing I would be concerned with is if the magnet is strong enough. You may need to use small braces to screw them together on the back for more support.

You could also pretty easily make the umbra one I would imagine.

I made a whole collage wall one time, I painted all the frames I had a solid black for uniformity. I laid out my plan on the floor on brown paper until I was happy with it. I then numbered each frame and matching location. I put the paper on the well then put all my nails in. Tore out the paper then hung the frames. It was a 3-4 evening project.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Happy Sunday ladies!

sfsoccermom2
    - I see you posted a couple days ago about your A1C being up. There are several of us in this group with blood sugar/pre diabetes issues and I am one of them. I've found 2 books by Michael Mosley got me started back to taking care of it. The 5:2 FastDiet is one, and The (8 week) Blood Sugar Diet. You can find websites which explain both of these. Mosley also has good Youtube presentations and one of my faves is "Eat, Fast and Live Longer".

For me, eating more healthy fats and cutting out junk carbs - candy, cakes, cookies, processed foods worked wonders. And more exercise, strength training. Bonus is losing some fat!

If you already are on a program that works for you, that is great. Good luck and carry on! B)

Kim - I was wondering how your brother was doing. Your mom is certainly in a sad place - his abuse of her coupled with her denial of his fate. Her comments about "just joking" are interesting. Glad your company is gone and you can relax and put some time and space between it all.

Lisa - thanks for posting your before and after photos - you are back on your journey and will get there just fine. I am impressed at your wallpaper removal battle, lol. Good job. Is your middle name tenacious by any chance?

NY Karen - enjoy your trip!! Can't wait to see pix and smart thinking taking your coffee. The food there sounds GREAT!! What's the temperature supposed to be like in S Africa when you get there? - I am guessing it's more wintery than Dubai, lol.

Penny - your description of the sealing ship where the guys didn't bathe for 7 months struck a nerve with me. Lately, I'm having to really "get after" my DH to shower and change his sweats on a regular basis without severe nagging and complaining on my part especially after mowing and working outside where he is yellow from pollen. Guess I should count my blessings.... he could be covered with seal oil! :s

Machka
    - finding a way to mount your bike photos is a great idea, and good therapy too. Is this something your DH could help you with? Does he enjoy doing crafts?

Barbara AHMOD - I am so envious of your red leaf lettuce. I cannot get it to grow -it either dies immediately or grows quickly and bolts/bitters in a few days....EXCEPT last year a seed found its way onto the compost heap back under the trees and I got a few of those yummy leaves before the bunnies and deer spotted them. Good luck with the beets and onions! You never know.... I've been enjoying kale all summer from a couple self-seeded plants with milk crates over them to keep the 4 legged critters off.

Katla - enjoy the kids and grandkids! How long has it been since your son's family (wife and child/now children) have been out to visit? Also did your DD's house in CO sell OK? You probably said and I missed it.

I could keep going but need to get busy here. Welcome new and returning gals - hugs all around!

Lanette
    Cooler SW WA where we got nearly 1/4 inch of rain yesterday in 2 downpours, no thunder. Back up to hot weather this week but grateful for the clean air today.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Machka I did a mural wall once, with minimal cheap plastic frames I got at Walgreens. All sizes and just fit them together with no spacing between them. Was beautiful and impressive. I just hung a bigger piece in center and fit them in/grew outwards around it. If I happen across a pic of it, I’ll post it. I know we took some, but no idea where they could be.

Frames where these - no matting or borders so the artwork filled the entire frame face and the tiny border of the frame pretty much disappeared between the pics.
    exbj8qtxcb5g.png

The cheap frames also served to protect the pieces (pastel paintings on paper). But I LOVE KJ’s suggestion of magnetic paint to put them on one board or wall for display.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Lisa - I hate clothes shopping too. I have the smallest wardrobe of anyone I know and I very rarely go out to buy clothes. At home I live in sweat pants or sports gear. I loathe trying things on. I wear a very few clothes, like a uniform, in rotation. This year I found some camisole tops on Amazon with a shelf bra that became my heatwave uniform. I keep clothes for years.
    I do like to look good if I go out, which isn't often. Even then it tends to be a few basic classics, mix and match. I wouldn't wear anything with an "old person's" look and try to keep up to date. I like jewellery to liven things up and often wear a bright colour on my top half. I like a "put together" look. Hate frills and fussy patterns.
    When I lost my 57 lbs I found I had no idea what suited me any more and I had lost touch with fashion. I was shuffling around in baggy black all the time. I began to read fashion magazines to get my eye in and visited our local big store several times without buying anything to gain some confidence. It took a while to realise I could actually now wear anything!
    I do love makeup though. If I go out it is my "face". At home I don't bother and I am quite happy in local shops without it. Any situation where I have to face the public, or need confidence, it is essential. I hope I do it subtly, but I do need my blusher or I look sick. I really do. I love my makeup bag, even though it is a chore.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Plans changed, found out that Colby was going to be here around 6:30 so didn’t go to church so we could have dinner and I would be home to greet Colby. Then we left for the airport, didn’t get home until a little after 11:30. But Jess is here, cuddling with her cat

Jen – welcome!

M – I’m so glad your husband was at your ceremony

Here are my flamingoes:

i544dvqw9qnh.jpg

And I have a few DVD’s:

457l7dgcm4oc.jpg

Now you know why I'm always selling them for the price of the postage...so I can make room for new ones!

Michele in NC

Its nice to have CDs.😁👍 We have a few as well, (those 7 years in Japan half of those years off base so no TV).
    cm0dlqhmsy6e.jpg
    0ia2yeuezva1.jpg
    Our Japanese bought cabinet that moves back and forth. It has been a real space saver over the years!
    💗 Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Granted most of them are VCR tapes! Yes we still have a player.... Right next to the 1957 rotary phone! Ha!
    Rebecca 💗
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    No internet here and spotty cell service. We are in Washington at Brooks Memorial State Park until Monday, then Down to Oregon. Pics when I can.

Been eating badly. Have to get back on track.....

RV Rita in Goldendale, Washington for today!
  • coastalgosgal
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Alrighty, good day yesterday! Managed to lower the numbers on my scale, and avoid the pan of cheesecake in the frig! Its nice that I designated a shelf for him, cuz presently that's where all the sweet stuff sits! Not my shelf, not my cheesecake, donuts, and cute little unwrapped peanut butter cups! Aack! If he was just a roommate, we'd be having a discussion about buying another frig so I wouldn't have to see all his crap, but he's my son, so I would feel so guilty eating his stuff!

On that note, I do have to confess.... Before starting this daily logging business, his container of OREO cookies was destroyed. I tell the story of husband and I taking a few, here and there, but my husband being his honest self would throw me under the bus saying " it was HER"! So for his birthday I restocked his OREOs and truly have no desire for them! Well after eating most of the package, the taste is out of my system! I told my son, and he was shocked, that I did not have milk with them! I said to him, the dang cookies are just small enough that I can lop one into my mouth and let it dissolve blissfully for a second until I chew it. But its not big enough to actually choke me. Aack! Designed by the devil himself! Did I type a paragraph about a dang cookie? Why yes I did!

Husband made muffins this morning, but I am just having my yogurt, oj, and coffee. Lunch is my bean and cabbage soup, and dinner is pasta, kielbasa sausage, and zucchini! 💗👍
    Have a nice Sunday all!
    Rebecca
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Just checking in quickly from my phone, will respond more tomorrow from my computer.
    The temperature had dropped 25 degrees here since Friday evening. It is feels like a fall day rainy and cold.

Trying to come up with something to do today. Hubby is flipping channels between some paranormal show and the PGA championship. Racing starts in an hour. We really need a second tv again.

Maybe I should go into the craft room and work on something. I just am not sure what I want to do.

• coastalgosgal
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Just checking in quickly from my phone, will respond more tomorrow from my computer.
    The temperature had dropped 25 degrees here since Friday evening. It is feels like a fall day rainy and cold.

Trying to come up with something to do today. Hubby is flipping channels between some paranormal show and the PGA championship. Racing starts in an hour. We really need a second tv again.

Maybe I should go into the craft room

Bake something healthy💗👍