WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2018

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options

kymarai wrote: »
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIM!

So I am at work and should be working but wanted to stop by. First, Thank you for the gratitude question....I am thankful every day for the life I am living. When I have a bad day, there is always someone more in need than I am, and I have to put things back into perspective. Life can be frustrating in lots of areas, but I try to keep a positive outlook most of the time. :)

Machka CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is a major accomplishment! With your crazy life these days it is even more impressive!

Secondly, whoever mentioned clutterbug.....THANK YOU! Now I better understand my methods that have worked for me in the past as well as how to better incorporate my style with my DH. He is a cricket with OCD! Definitely more "micro" and I am true Ladybug "macro" organizer. We both dislike clutter, but his hidden organization is much more "perfect" than mine. The funny thing is that a few years ago I cleaned my closet and was able to maintain that using basically her ideas. The main thing I can't maintain is paperwork. I hate figuring out what file! Guess that wouldn't make me any help to Machka :( I am currently deciding what I need to purchase to make my filing easier once I get to organizing non-sight things. Example of different organizing styles....My drawers are organized by 1 or 2 style items per drawer. Like underwear and bras, not folded pretty, not stacked, but in the right drawers. My DH actually didn't like the way I put his folded underwear, he didn't say a word, just stacked it nice and neat ;) I love having a little insight into myself. So once again THANK YOU!

SIL just went home sick.....please don't let me get it!

I better get some actual work done.... (((hugs))) to those in need, Congratulations to everyone in their own successes, and THANK YOU ALL for being such supportive ladies!

<3
    Kylia in Ohio supposedly working-LOL!

I have a friend that must be considered a macro, I know she has some hoarding tendencies as well. I helped her organize her papers this spring, it took about 16 hours to go through about 10 years of paperwork. It was insane. She argued with me about some things that she felt she should keep.

I probably don't keep enough paperwork. Here in Canada we don't keep our own medical records they are kept with our doctors, so the main thing I have to keep is financial. I follow the government's recommendation of 7 years for taxes. All banking stuff I just keep in my online accounts. I have never found I needed anything I no longer had. I am like you with the underwear specific drawers, but not stacked and folded pretty for mine. However, for my husband's everything is very neat and pretty because that is the only way it will fit in his drawer.

A few years ago, my daughter had two slipped discs in her back and her boyfriend helped her put away laundry. She complained to me that he didn't do it right. I said what do you mean, she said well he put the hoodies with the sweatshirts and it's not colour coordinated. I said, you are being a little picky aren't you? She said, don't I get that from you? I said No, I just care that it's hung up and the hangers face the right way.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    vi94vrn72m4g.jpg

We're baaaack! The kids had a ball at the Farmer's Market! Visser Farms brought some baby chicks for the kids to pet and hold and another farmer brought a piglet. One of my kiddos cried when the farmer said that they raise their pigs to make ham, bacon, pork chops, etc. We covered this information at my daycare this week, but it is a WHOLE different ball game when you have cute baby animals looking at you! lol

Heather- I am happy things are moving along for you; but I will reserve my big congrats for when you are in and papers signed etc. The whole "chain" of people makes me nervous for you!
    Pip- I am positive, even though your rubber chicken has no squeaker, Floyd, Yogi and Bullwinkle are trying to play Pachelbel's Canon on it!
    Terry- I think you need to get a little alligator stamp and make it a designer (Lacoste) cast. And look at you with your foot way high in the air! There's a resistance work out for you! How many leg lifts with a cast on can you do?
    Welcome new girls!

Gratitude- I took BArbie's advice and started a gratitude journal last spring. I keep a daily journal; but my gratitude journal is different. Each day I write down five things that I am thankful for. Sometimes it is things that I have, sometimes it is things that I don't have, I allow repeats because some things need to be repeated. The journal helps keep me out of the pit of despair and self pity. A big thing that surprised me, I never liked my job before I started the journal. I felt like being a childcare provider was kind of where I ended up because of not having a formal education beyond high school. I felt trapped. The journal helped me see the little things. Helped me see the work that I have put into my childcare home and business. Helped me see the non monetary rewards.

This is the other thing that changed my life:
    m77hbgwxyuuh.jpg

Becoming a grandma opened my heart. I think it was closed because I was unhappy in my job, I thought the kids were "out to get me", and the constant wear and tear on things was depressing and frustrating. Having Joaquin come along somehow showed me how to love this child that wasn't mine and enabled me to love all of these other children. Helping my daughter with patience in raising him has given me patience with these little ones in my care. This past year has been a revelation and for that I am eternally grateful!

You ladies are mentioned in my gratitude journal multiple times because you help keep me sane and on the right path! And I love you dearly for that! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

It's funny how the same things affect us all differently. I quit school 2 days before I was supposed to start Grade 11. I have since gone and gotten my GED but never felt "enough" when it came to my education. Even last year when I was looking for a job I felt it was my lack of education that was holding me back. My dream as a child was to own and operate a daycare. I felt without my education I could never do it.

I think you are an amazing caregiver to the children that are lucky enough to be in your care. You do so much with them. I would have loved for my girls to be in a dayhome like yours. I understand and empathize with your feelings of being trapped and I'm so happy you are past it. Just look at how you are shaping the minds of the next generation.

Tracey in Edmonton - so incredibly envious of your career.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    I've been spending this morning sorting through more boxes of cards and letters. Quite a lot are emails that I printed out. I've managed to throw away about two thirds of them, which is quite an achievement.
    Some are from men I was in love with between my marriages. :o Some are from my boys. Some are from dear, dear friends. I have kept a "representative" sample from each, but reading them through brought back a LOT of memories. I hope to get everything into a small box, down from four boxes.
    I would throw a lot more stuff away, but I am a memorist and hope to write about those days sometime. Good to have memory jogs. I had forgotten so much. My boys communicated with me by email when they were on their trips etc much more than I remember. I joined the younger one when he was out in Peru.
    Also found lovely thank you letters from my DDIL. :) The family are flying to France today on a house swap.

The documents have arrived. Hope to get that back in the post soon.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

It's nice having all of those memories jogged. My Grandmother and I wrote back and forth for several years while she was still able to. I had kept all of her letters and she had kept all of mine. I now have the task of sorting them all and putting them in order. In reading the letters it reminded me a lot of of our first years here in Alberta and when my girls were small. Funny the little day to day things I wrote about.

Enjoy your trip down memory lane.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Sliding into bed felt wonderful and I woke up feeling well rested. :)

For some reason, I've completely lost the ability to do this. Even when I manage to sleep 9 hours on a weekend, I wake up feeling like I've been run over by a truck.

Machka- There was a nature show on last night about an area of Australia (I think; I found it half way through). It mentioned kangaroos and other animals living in a very dry area. Then they showed a ranch called Jubilee Downs. It was interesting, but the narrator had a very mellow deep voice and my eyes kept closing. Last thing I remember thinking was I wonder if Machka lives near here....zzzzzzzz
    KJ (Kelly)

Machka lives completely on the other side of Australia from there. :)

The Jubilee Downs station is located near Fitzroy Crossing, Western Australia (northern Western Australia) ... 4000+ km from me. It is probably quite dry up that way. Parts of Australia have been in a drought. Where I am, however, it has been chilly and damp.

r9bwb21h70x0.png

Machka in Oz

Last year after going through months of stress related to my job, it took me a solid month and a half of sleeping and naps to feel rested and "back to normal". You are still in a stressful situation, it's understandable you don't feel rested. I hope you find some peace soon.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Sorted out a few more boxes. One was the property of my godmother "Aunty Dorothy" that I wrote about in my memoir. Her funeral stuff, some jewellery, not valuable, and a marvellous certificate in a red leather case, giving her father the Freedom of the City of London. Plus a small photo of him, looking just like her. :D<3 He was a "fruiterer". I am happy to keep her bits as I truly loved her.

I threw away loads of cards, keeping a sample few, for my 50th, 70th, wedding, retirement, and my big op - my hysterectomy. Does anyone else keep this stuff? :*
    It does bring back memories.

I have kept the best and funniest Mother's Day cards and the best Valentine's etc from DH. A great big bag to put in recycling.

It is hard. I cannot take it all with me to the new place and haven't looked at them for seven years. Making progress. It's nice to know how many people really cared about me. :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx barely able to breathe until exchange of contracts.

When we moved from New Brunswick to Alberta in 1997 my hope chest was filled with cards I had received from the time I was about 14. I went through them saved some from Great Aunts and Uncles that had passed, some wedding cards, new daughter cards, special ones from my husband etc. Packed all the rest into a large clothes hamper I was throwing out. Managed to lug it out to the bin, hefted it up to throw in and just couldn't bring myself to do it. I took that hamper back into my house and asked my Grandmother if I could store it at her house. I never even went to look at those cards anytime I was home. My brother tore my Grandmother's house down in 2010 a year after she passed, he destroyed them without even asking me. They aren't something I miss.

Now I have a whole other collection started from 1997 to present. I do throw out Christmas and birthday cards from co-workers and acquaintances but keep all cards from family and close friends. I find people don't send cards like they used to so it's a small bundle these days.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!

Danced last night while watching CMA Fest in the kitchen. During commercials I worked on cutting up fresh cantaloupe and a watermelon. Got from the farmer just down the street from us. So Yummy! Now on my to do list is some zucchini bread to bake, homemade spaghetti sauce to prepare, and figure out what to do with green beans and egg plant.... I am loving all the fresh veggies and fruits!
    The last two days have been successful as far as active minutes, steps, water, and exercise times! YAY!
    Heather-YAY!!!!!!!
    Thank you for the information on turmeric. I can't take Ibuprofen or the other anti inflammatory, they tear up my belly. I will be scanning for amounts...hopefully will help me too!
    LADIES- Keep up the AWESOME support for each other and ourselves! We are STRONG, DETERMINED, and BEAUTIFUL women!

Gotta get work done! :p
    <3
    Kylia in YAY it is sunny OHIO!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Left big toe, right thigh and wrist still bruised and sore from last week's fall, Owwies keeping me from doing the turns at line dance class. Any miracle bruise pain cures?

Lanette, "silver lining in that cloud" yes but isn't that an extreme sacrifice for a husband to make for his introvert wife? Curamed... hmm, certainly more convenient that grating raw turmeric... Thanks!
    Terry polkadots indeed! If not moons and stars and lightning bolts... nope it's green not blue, Karen in VA's poppies or perhaps some bling? Beautiful necklace, proud Mama!
    Rebecca ditto what Katla said. I want to give the guilt (yours, mine, everyone's) pip's boot.
    Katla "wrap it as a cabin"? Like in a box with windows and doors pasted on and a roof with chimney above?
    Tracey thank you and Barbie and KJ and Beth for your inspiring gratitude stories.
    KJ finally remembered, made your Thai peanut sauce and the taste was right on. Next time I'll use creamy peanut butter though (DOH!) ... ;)
    Wendy "...but I got to go feed them" BIG smile :)
    Beth light show in the toilet? Really???
    Heather "The documents have arrived" Huzzah!
    Machka you HAVE been run over by a truck, blindsided in fact. Small wonder you feel that way!

Welcome shanson.

Minutes from last night's RFPD board meeting done and out, hooray! Time to meditate and get going.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 6/8, meditate 6/8, walk one more step 3/8, knee exercises 6/8, core 4/8, walk Tumble 4/8 times, SWSY 0/4, hang up or purge art 0/1
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Heather, Snoopy happy dance on receiving documents! Another step reached.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am running around like crazy today trying to get stuff done so I can head off to visit DH in Colorado tomorrow. My best friend is coming with me. I did read all the posts and am enjoying the photos! I reconnected with an old friend of ours yesterday. I think I may have told you but one night I couldn't sleep because I couldn't get him out of my mind. So even though I felt odd about it, I called him at work the next day. Turns out his son had just been acquitted of sexual assault on a minor. Boy was that God at work. He is still very upset and shaken by the whole thing (including the bail amount...for a young adult with no prior record, bail was set at $2 MILLION! So he came by yesterday and we had a nice, long venting session. He said he felt better when he left, so I guess there was a reason I reached out!

OK I'll try to get on here while I'm gone, otherwise it will be Tuesday. Take care, meg from Omaha.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the sorting bug but I have nothing to sort thru! I did however get rid of many photos years ago. I looked thru our 5+ albums and weeded out two sets respectively. For my eldest I put in an album, for my middle son I put photos on index cards and put in a photo box. Now my youngest most photos are digital so I will have to transfer those still. Many photos of cousins and my sister's families I sent back to them saying I have enjoyed them immensely, but am paring down. I am not the keeper of their stories anymore. Now our 5+ albums are in shambles, with many blank pages. They are all neatly in the bottom of our bookcases though.

In reference to keeping cards or letters, I have a bunch too. I have them all in my grandma's hope chest in the entryway. A place to sit to tie my shoes. Its kinda sad to think all my mementos from my childhood can fit in one container, while my sister's have rooms of items. But on the other hand, I don't need things to remember, just a cup of coffee and my memories. Long story short, I traveled 3 times from California to Oregon to go thru stuff with my sisters, but they were always busy, or weren't ready. So my mom's house was going on the market, and my sister calls and asks me what I want from the house! So I pretty much said whatever, and whatever was what I got. Yes I should have been more demanding, I should have put my name on things when I was there, but I was the third kid, and thought it not my place.
    Well today is the day I make the huge cheesecake pan! I am doing it with son so he can lick all the utensils, (and I won't)!

Oh fyi from Perth to Sydney in Australia is like from Los Angeles to New York City! Sadly we meaning I, have grown up learning that Australia is this tiny island, but in truth its far from it.💗 Living with a host family in New South Wales was an experience that I will treasure always.

Love Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    took a shower and am dressed and ready for the wake ... it is an hour drive up there so will go over to Toms now and we will leave in a bit..
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    By the way that lunch was cabbage, zucchini, and 2 oz of kielbasa sausage, simmered in spicy chicken broth, (in mug). Red stuff is just ketchup for dipping!

Rebecca
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Allie- Loong, long ago I designated a halfway point on our walk as "the snack tree". It gives the kids a destination that they are excited to get to, because I pack a snack. It is usually just something simple like fruit and/or veggies; but I think everything tastes better when we sit outside in the grass and eat it! We have other "snack stops" depending on which direction we walk.
    Tracey- It is odd that I spent 20+ years doing a job that I really didn't enjoy. Evidence that "fake it til you make it" works? So glad I have had the turn around, though. I have at least another 10-15 years to go; I am hoping loving my job and the kids will make it a LOT more enjoyable!
    Heather- I envy what you have saved. I let go of all of the sentimental cards, letters, notes, etc. Long, long ago. Some days I wish I had kept it just to be able to reread it. I kept a few cards from my kids, one or two from my husband because he probably has only remembered anniversaries/birthdays once or twice and he isn't very "showy" of his feelings. But I don't have boxes of memories. :( Fingers crossed as your paperwork goes through the processes! B)

KJ
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm Karen VA, your dinner sounds wonderful! Yummy, garden-y goodness! I bought a couple of pounds of tomatoes at the farmer's market yesterday and made tomato soup for the kid's lunch today (goes best with grilled cheese sandwiches). I made a lot, so I will have soup for lunches or dinners the next few days!