WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2018

Options

Replies

• wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hey, just a thought I wanted to add about turmeric. I started giving it to the 'dream horse' that I bought for my daughter, right before she ran away from home. It was a pink- nosed Pinto that got badly sunburned and blistered all over her nose the first summer. I wanted to help her avoid the pain the next summer. She was a huge, part draft horse and could hold her nose way out of my reach when I tried to put sun lotion on her. Another option was a halter with a nose shade but I don't like to leave halters on my horses in the paddock as they can get caught up and choked or they rub the hair off and make sores. So I researched on the net and read somewhere that adding turmeric to the food would stop sunburn. So I tried it on the pinto and she never got another sunburn on her delicate nose. I was very impressed and started taking it myself for the same reason, as I am fair skinned and my grandfather, a redhead, died of skin cancer, and my mother has already had cancer cut out of her nose...I burn easily. Or,rather, I used to burn easily. Now that I take turmeric I have never burned again. And I haven't used suncream ever since I started using turmeric. Here's a great website of information for those who are interested in the many, many benefits of taking turmeric: http://www.ayurvedacollege.com/articles/students/turmeric <3 Wendy
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    That's very informative Wendy! Thanks!!! I have never thought about it in that wsy. I just knew it helped my MIL with her arthritis. I pretty much use turmeric and cayenne pepper on all my foods!
    Rebecca
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Went to ACMoore for the needlenight, then went to Aldi because Vince needed milk for tomorrow and I was right by Aldi.

Lanette – if you find those toilet lights, please let me know where you found them. That’d be a great gift for Vince! I found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/16-Color-Motion-Activated-Toilet-Nightlight/dp/B073TBP1D5/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1533865455&sr=8-7&keywords=toilet+lights+inside+toilet+glow+bowl Beth – is this the one?

Michele in NC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Turmeric is not a taste I like much outside of Indian dishes but I found one terrific use for it - my most days glass of tomato juice (which the way I drink it is actually a Bloody Mary without the vodka). I add a big dash of turmeric to this and the flavors are very complimentary.

Rye
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Penny the rainbow is spectacular. Thank you <3

Janetr OKC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3<3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Machka You live on Tasmania! How interesting! <3

My husband is Tasmanian (Australian, of course, but born and raised in Tasmania) and we've been here (back here, for him) for 5 years. Before that we lived in Victoria, north of Melbourne.

For reference ... Hobart to Launceston is 200 km (124 miles)

qt90vlc2c9kq.jpg

The rainbow photo was Penny's ... way, way up north (Norway?)

This is a collection of mostly Tasmanian photos, with a few in other parts of Australia ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/collections/72157644517168953/

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Machka [/b]- I am so proud of you continuing with your schooling during your DH's recovery and graduation coming soon!! Yes, photos or video's please! I was elated to hear he baked you a birthday cake!! Happy Birthday if I forgot to wish you one earlier!

It was my husband's birthday ... I was all set to buy or bake a cake for him, but he wanted to do it. :) In Australia, it seems that people often bake their own cakes.

Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka, I am so inspired by you and how you have persevered towards your goals despite the most daunting personal setback and obstacles in your path. I wonder if the university will have an online link so we can watch you on the stage?
    exermom wrote: »
    How wonderful it would be if we could watch M on stage! I never thought the college might have an online feed, but that would be great! M – find out. I for one would love to see it.

Thanks ... and I've started a thread in our 50+ group. :)

M in Oz

Oh BTW - just a technicality ...

In Australia a college is Grade 12 or Grades 11 and 12. Or sometimes a "Technical College" where you might learn a trade.

I'm in a University, where one would acquire a Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree, PhD, or levels in between. I'm halfway in between a Bachelor's and Master's right now. :)

Machka in Oz

• wildhorsewendy
    Options
    Janet, your granddaughter is a model and your artwork is fantastic. How are the sales going in that shop? I bet they are selling like hotcakes.
  • wildhorsewendy
    Options
    Machka, I just went and looked for the link you said you posted in a 50+ group. I searched on the messageboard area, put in "50+" but nothing else came up. How do we go about finding this link? I see no reason why you can't post the link right here on this thread. The only links that are not allowed are ones that are advertising/profit making for someone (potentially blogs) and other competing websites to MFP, otherwise, my understanding is that links are A-okay. Am I correct in saying this, Barbara? <3 Wendy
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka, I just went and looked for the link you said you posted in a 50+ group. I searched on the messageboard area, put in "50+" but nothing else came up. How do we go about finding this link? I see no reason why you can't post the link right here on this thread. The only links that are not allowed are ones that are advertising/profit making for someone (potentially blogs) and other competing websites to MFP, otherwise, my understanding is that links are A-okay. Am I correct in saying this, Barbara? <3 Wendy

We're not allowed identifying links like FB either. But go to Groups and it's there. :)
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

We're not allowed identifying links like FB either. But go to Groups and it's there. :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/123702-women-ages-50