AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    8/1 - 5.59 km
    8/2 - 5.42 km
    8/3 - travel day
    8/4 - 11.66 km
    8/5 - travel day (14 hours to do a 10.5 hour drive ago)
    8/6 - laundry
    8/7 - 4.90 km
    8/8 - Nada
    8/9 - 2.97 km
    8/10 - rest
    8/11 - bleh
    8/12 - bleh
    8/13 - 1.90 km
    8/14 - hot
    8/15 - too smoky (not safe to run)
    8/16 - 2.17 km
    8/17 - smoke
    8/18 - worse smoke
    8/19 - 21.1 km

55.71/125 km

yn37hsq9ns5v.jpg
    ozgqb8swc7t2.jpg

I was right - it wasn't pretty LOL.

The smoke cleared out late yesterday, thankfully. It's likely not to be back until Tuesday evening.

I got up at 5:15, popped my pills, then had coffee & PB toast at 5:45. Lots of running around and getting ready. Hubby dropped me off downtown just before they closed the roads at 7:45 and then took the kids out for breakfast back close to home while I walked back and back and back to find an entrance to the starting chute. Took a selfie. The announcer mentioned that the elites for the full marathon were on pace to finish around 2:20.

I positioned myself well to the back because I am slow. This proved to be a bit of a terrible idea in hindsight because there were a lot of walkers I had to weave around.

Kept a pace I knew was too fast basically until the first aid station (2.5 km). I was almost at the aid station when the motorcade came through with the marathon lead runner. Someone in second came by about a minute later and then there was a lull before a bunch of elites came thru, plus fast people without bike pacers etc.

I slowed down to a more reasonable race pace after that, running fast (my fast, not anybody else's fast!) but comfortable and feeling generally awesome despite knowing I was undertrained. Kept a decent pace until around 12 km? I think it was 12 km. I had gone in with a plan to run as much as I could while walking thru aid stations to catch my breath, hydrate and fuel. Anyway, around 12 km I started getting really bad calf cramps. I alternated walking and running okay until about 15 km. At that point I was walking more than running probably until 18 km (Garmin says that is my slowest split).

I decided to try running again and found a sweet spot about 30 seconds slower than my LSR pace and was able to maintain that mixed with walk intervals for the last 3 km. I actually found the running less painful than walking - problem is if I did more than my body was capable of I could feel my calves start to seize and had to back off to a walk until the feeling eased.

I finished around 3:12 and change, but I finished. And I'm pretty proud of that accomplishment because I'm 15 lbs heavier than my last race and didn't die.

Now to baby my blisters and very mild chafing (from my fuel belt).

2018 Races: (italics means not registered yet, only pondering)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K 1:30:57
    3/17/28 St Patrick's Day race 10K 1:24:53
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon 3:05:55
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5Kish 1:00:00? (Or 48:45...)
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10Kish 1:56:15
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 10Kish 2:03:15
    7/1/18 Canada Day 15K 2:03:04
    7/28/18 Idaho Peak 10K Trail Race 1:30:16
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon (Half Marathon) 3:12:something
    8/25/18 MEC Trail Race #4 10Kish
    9/22/18 Heartbeat Run 10K
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15Kish
    12/1/18 Santa Shuffle

Look at you @sarahthes ! Being all awesome and stuff. Great job on the race!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I was out in a remote wilderness area for the last 9 days, without any internet except a couple times when I left briefly. Anyway, I am not going back to read the nearly 600 posts in this thread. And I was very busy with an intense class to get the Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification. I didn't get as much running on the trails as I wanted because I was quite busy, but hope to ramp up mileage again. I don't think I'll make goal this month, though.

Ticker is updated for the 39.87 miles I was actually able to get done.
    exercise.png

The important thing you missed was @KeepRunningFatboy , one of our members died. Here is the Obit:

http://www.hogenkampfh.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=2128391

:(
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,979 Member
    Options
    @workaholic_nurse You must live in my neck of the woods. I'm in the Greeneville TN area. I'm not up to running 10 miles right now, as I am just trying to get back into running, but the pace would be perfect for me. Maybe next year.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @workaholic_nurse You must live in my neck of the woods. I'm in the Greeneville TN area. I'm not up to running 10 miles right now, as I am just trying to get back into running, but the pace would be perfect for me. Maybe next year.

My folks live in Jonesborough, gonna be up for the weekend visiting and @Teresa502 suggested this trail the last time I mentioned I was looking for places to run up there. Did a 6.2 out and back 2 weeks ago on the trail, thoroughly enjoyed it. Figured even if I have to take it slow/steady I know I can do the mileage. Looking forward to next year :D

ETA:Eventually I'll be able to run it the other direction but at this point doing a steady uphill over 10 miles just sounds like too much work. :p
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I've been away for a few days, so just reading quickly to catch up. Sorry if I missed any races or big news. I gathered some things about plans for running for Dennis, but will have to go back and see exactly what is being done and how I can contribute. I know he ran Marine Corps Marathon, so one thing I can do is "run in his shoes" in that race this October. That will add even more to this big event for me, to think of him running that same route.

Awesome job on your age-group place in your 5k @BruinsGal_91! Impressive!

Fantastic work @zdyb23456 getting in your longest run ever! Well done! If you can do that, you can definitely finish a marathon.

@polskagirl01 congratulations on your half marathon. How cool is that dragonfly experience! Well done getting through it and especially kicking it at the end. Awesome.

@sarahthes congratulations on finishing your half marathon too! Sorry to hear about the cramping and blisters and chafing. Good for you for getting it done.

@eponine1984 hugs to you. Glad you were able to enjoy a little bit of running that felt good to you.

@girlinahat good to see you back early and feeling like you want to run. Gorgeous place to get your airplane arms on and go whee!

I'll do a separate race post in a bit.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,979 Member
    Options
    @workaholic_nurse Jonesborough is an awesome little town. Ever been to the storytelling festival? I've leaved here most of my life and have never been. It's on my list.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic great race report. I know a couple of people who ran Falmouth yesterday. It's on my bucket list.

And you went to the Vineyard too (yes, of course I'm jealous). I'm toying with running the half marathon there again next May.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic welldone!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic that sounds like a great race and venue. The pre-race activities and food sound awesome.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    congratulations @katharmonic !!!!! sounds like a great race venue! loved the race report!