August 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,237 Member
    @Elise4270 - timely question. I have been in a funk about running - lots of goals and ambitions - just can't seem to get out there and have fun with it. Maybe I've become too goal oriented and not fun oriented. I distinctly remember several years ago when I wasn't training for anything and took off one afternoon to run. I hit some trails and explored places I'd never been - it was just so FUN and FREE to run wherever the heck I wanted without regard for a time or a distance. I miss that. The trouble is - having a race in my future is what provides the motivation to get out there and run even when I don't feel like it. Therefore, every run comes down to time/distance/intervals/training instead of running for the fun of it. Seems like a vicious cycle and I'm not sure how to "fix" it.

@shanaber - just yesterday my hubby was telling me I needed to get out and run because I was being crabby. So true!

Lots of great comments about the running funk. It's all mental, isn't it.

exercise.png

June goal - 44/44
    July goal - 52/52
    August goal - 53/57 miles

Sept. 30 - Wineglass Half Marathon; Corning, NY
    October 7 - Viking Dash Half Marathon; Toledo, OH
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I was planning a run, but with air temp at 88F and humidity on the rise, dew point in the 70s... thinking of a rest day.

By the time I get out of work and go run, it is supposed to be 91F, heat index 102F, and dew point 74F. I'm going to do what I can regardless, but it will likely be pretty slow. I think I prefer today's forecast over tomorrow (hot and raining).
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    I was planning a run, but with air temp at 88F and humidity on the rise, dew point in the 70s... thinking of a rest day.

By the time I get out of work and go run, it is supposed to be 91F, heat index 102F, and dew point 74F. I'm going to do what I can regardless, but it will likely be pretty slow. I think I prefer today's forecast over tomorrow (hot and raining).

Yeah, supposed to just get worse by the time I get out of work too. I could dreadmill it I guess.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @biketheworld I think your answer, to getting out of that funk, is to allow yourself those runs that don't feel like training. Just be free, run like a kid. Leave the Garmin off or unattended. Grab some earbuds. Go see, smell, feel the world on foot.

Go get reconnected with the beauty and belonging, every tree, every critter, every molecule is exactly where it needs to be, and was perfectly placed for you to find in that moment. Its your world.

Fart the training. There's bigger rewards out there if we take the time to see them. They should never get lost in training.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    @biketheworld Maybe just some low stress fun runs at distances that don't require specific training would be good? Like some 5K or 10K no pressure races? That's all I've got left on my calendar for the year and it's kinda freeing.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2018
    re: funk
    i'm digging myself out of one, a really long one.

i'm still finding my stride. what has helped: new trails. techless runs. new plan. new running buddies. fartleks. new race. new goals.

one of the reasons i chose the plan i did for the marathon is that it emphasized one "fun" run each week. in the description, it said just go do what you want at the pace you want. trail, indoor laps, w/e