NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Replies

• cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,561 Member
    @TeresaW1020 Great job on the loss...I love shopping in the back of my closet. ...looks like you and I posted at the same time..LOL It's a good thing you are listening to your body...I am trying to listen to mine. I have had it for 60 years, you think I would know by now..LOL

Cbabie
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,862 Member
    edited September 2018
    @cbabie congrats on the loss!!! I did have a lot of fun.

@theslightedgeforever I see. I hope you have a better week this week. The Italian place was phenomenal. Thanks for the highlights.

@gemwolf110 I hope you had a nice staycation. Good luck with grad school search, going to grad school changed my life!

@krupalip I'm glad you are feeling better. Oh, I didn't stick with my caloric goals at all while my friend was here! Target is great. Congrats on your loss, woo hoo! And congrats about the black dress!!!

@TeresaW1020 Good morning and happy Labor Day to you as well! I agree with you and the meal was definitely memorable! Congrats on the loss. Good for you for listening to your body, it's so important.

Hello all! My friend and I had a great time while she was here (she's gone now). We went shopping, ate a lot of food (some good, some bad), and laughed a lot. My stomach was upset yesterday from the way I have been eating this weekend, that should give you an indication of my choices! Not that I have been eating fried foods, but just not the healthy foods that my body is used to and it is staging a strike. lol I feel better this morning and will get back to healthy eating today. I did not go to my WW meeting on Saturday, so I have no idea if I am up or down this week but I suspect if I weighed myself, I would be up. Well, I hope you all have a wonderful day! My day will be grocery shopping and meal prepping. Here's what is on the menu, in case you are curious (I put the links in):

Asian baked salmon + steamed broccoli
    Chicken fajitas
    Chicken broccoli stir fry
    Middle eastern meatballs (Kofta kebabs) + Sarah's rice pilaf + hummus + roasted red peppers

and for breakfast: Asparagus-pancetta potato hash (but I'm using center-cut bacon instead of pancetta)
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,211 Member
    cbabie Dh has his own stash on my bedroom shelves. But I don't get into those usually because they aren't to my liking. Once in a blue moon I will get a craving for some Scottish shortbread. That's good you are back on track and will move forward.

trooworld The kofta sounds good. I'll add that to my meal plans. I have a good friend in Chicago whose husband makes the best kofta. He's Afghani so I don't know the difference between these and his but I will try yours. I have been lazy in the cooking new recipe department lately.

gemwolf I need to go check out my freezers too and see what's in there. I need a better system.lol

Had a really good workout with weights and treadmill. Stayed OP with calories too.
  • theslightedgeforever
    TeresaW1020 I like treadmills too. Abhor the elliptical. I can't have a salty snack stash in the house. I buy one thing per week and allow myself to eat that. Otherwise I would be like termites and wood. For some reason a chocolate stash makes me feel secure. If I need it, it's there. Otherwise I'm going through the pantry looking for something to eat and that doesn't satisfy me, so I look for something else and eat. I would have been better off eating a Hershey kiss. Less calories that way. Woohoo on fitting into that shirt. I've done that. Almost let the moment pass me to wear the shirt and now it's a bit big. So now I figure every 10 lbs I lose, I could go try on those clothes. I have them separated by 10, 20, 30 lb loss. I like Kohl's and Ross. Although I hate clothes shopping knowing I'm going to lose weight but then it seems to take me forever to lose it so I get stuck in the same clothes. lol I do get rid of my big clothes though cause I'm never going back there.
  • trooworld
    @gemwolf110 I do believe that frozen veggies go bad, they can get frostbitten like meat. Hopefully, yours are fine, though.

@theslightedgeforever I've never made the kofta recipe so can't say if it is good or not, but it looked good so I thought I'd try it. I've actually never had kofta so I have nothing to compare it to! Apparently, I can't stash any kind of snacks (chocolate or salty) in the house: I bought 3 different WW boxes of snacks and 2 of the boxes disappeared with me only having gotten 1 pouch out of each box :( . The chocolate, I knew about...he has a chocolate addiction. But I thought I was safe buying my WW snacks. I was so mad.

Hi all. I hope your Labor Day was more productive than mine (if that was what you were going for). I just was tired and couldn't get anything done. I took two naps, prepped my breakfasts for the week, marinated the chicken for dinner tonight, and that is about it. Of course, hubby promised to help me cook the rest of the meal prep but he didn't do it so now the week is screwed lol. We'll see how it goes. I'm off early tomorrow for a dental appt so I can make some meals then.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited September 2018
    Happy Tuesday that feels like a Monday. I don't come here on weekends and when I get here during the week, all threads have taken off! Ironic how little labor I did this passed three-day Labor Day weekend. Weighed in at WW Saturday and I'm the exact same weight as last month's weigh in, only I didn't have to work out first to sweat it to that number, lol. I guess any progress is good.

Piggybacking off a few prior posts, I do a lot of meal prepping and I LOVE Indian food, but have not yet made Kofta. I regularly make yogurt and yogurt whey bread, and it seems I put my yogurt in everything, including my Indian eggplant dishes. Like another above, I don't mind the treadmill (and it's my main running on sub-40 degree winter days) and I really don't like the elliptical, although I did it throughout an injury and binge watched Mad Men at the same time.

Ended up doing Back to School shopping when I have no one in school I have to shop for, which means all those 50% off Old Navy jeans are for me, as well as new running shoes and hiking shoes. There are additional benefits to aging, lol. Carpe diem!
  • cbabie
    Morning all!

Good to see everyone enjoyed their holiday. I am still on track and feel like I am getting over the hump. Still tweaking my life and getting on my Trello board more each day. All good things. The only thing that may not be good, is that I am sleeping less to get it all done right now..LOL

@trooworld LOL my DH is not a sweet eater, other than ice cream..he will sit down and devour a bag of cookies, but it's only once in a bit..hardly does he do that..but ice cream? When we first got married, the 1/2 gallon came in a rectangle box...we would cut it in half literally and each eat it...YEP I gained lots of weight... So I am learning substitutes again..LOL

@allisonlane161 I have never really tried Indian food, I am really a bland eating person..LOL Yes there are benefits to aging!

@theslightedgeforever glad you and DH have your routine down...great job on the workout!!

@gemwolf110 Yep we had to clean out the freezer too...you think, oh it's on sale...buy save...don't eat..throw away...changed my habits too.

Cbabie
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Hello Everyone!!

@trooworld, great looking menu. You make those middle eastern meatballs and let us know. I like to try new dishes and appreciate you giving links. The body definitely doesn't like it when we abuse it. There are foods that I used to eat all the time and now I can't. Fried foods do a real number on my stomach.

@theslightedgeforever, I had an awesome elliptical and didn't use it so I sold it and bought a recumbent bike. Now that I'm much more into exercise I wish I had the elliptical back. Live and learn!! :D

@allisonlane161, no reason we shouldn't take advantage of a good back to school sale even if is for us. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with all the composition books I bought, but they were all just too cute and cheap to pass up!! :D

@cbabie, it's good that you feel you are getting back on track. Don't neglect your sleep though!! :)

Well, I am happy to report that today's weigh-in gave me a 2-pound loss for the week! WOOT!! B) Something so cool happened yesterday to me that I have to share. I went to Dress Barn to look for a black shrug for this dress I'm wearing to a wedding in two weeks. While there I asked the saleslady if they had any Ponte pants (double knit stretch pants). We were in the plus size section of the store, which is where I've ever only shopped and she said they had the pants but that I was on the wrong side of the store. I laughed and told her that I didn't think I was. She literally looked me up and down and walked away. She came back in a couple of minutes with a size 14 and 16 from the other side where the regular sizes live!! :o I went into the dressing room and tried on the 16's and they fit perfectly!! <3 I was so excited! The pants were a lot more money than I wanted to spend but she told me they had this buy one get one 50% off sale, so I got a super cute shirt to go with he pants! B) The shrug was on sale for $14 so a win-win for me!!
  • krupalip
    krupalip Posts: 62 Member
    Hey everyone, really tired and off to bed, this is turning out to be a crazy week, lots of work piled up and preparing for a birthday party for my toddlers on Saturday, it’s exhausting, and I still have to book hotels and flights within the US, I am so worried about this...
    @trooworld your menu sounds wonderful, if you need any advice on the kebabs let me know, I make them often, in the pan though, don’t overcook the koftas or kebabs, it’s best that they remain moist and that’s how they are flavourful

@TeresaW1020 congratulations on your weight loss for the week and your determination and grit are inspiring for so many of us on the weight loss journey. Since everyone loves Kohls on this board, guess I will visit it when I am in the US
    I am so happy for you, and helps me put my goals into perspective as well, thank you for that.

@allisonlane61 I guess you are in the maintenance stage of your weight loss path, I guess maintaining the weight after a lreallly big loss is very challenging, kudos to you on maintaining a clean and healthy lifestyle

@cbabie how are you, try and get enough sleep, as it helps to lose weight, I did read an article about it online
  • krupalip
    @theslightedgeforever how are you, your strategy on dealing with salty and sweet cravings is something I am gonna adopt, keep a stash hidden from everyone in the family, my hubby needs to snack all the time and there are too many temptations I have to battle every single day, instead just keep a little chocolate for me.

Also I want to say thank you to everyone for their support in helping me reach my black dress victory, i am proud of myself and just hope I am below 50 kgs by September 23, then I would’ve conquered my goals for now
  • theslightedgeforever
    Trooworld. I would have been mad too if DH took my WW stash. He can eat the regular stuff. Hopefully you’ll find some time soon to cook up some extra meals.

allisonlane161. Indian food is too hot for me usually. But then any kind of spicy food for me is. I have a sensitive tongue. Nice on the Old Navy Sale you caught. My kids are all grown and I never think about the back to school sales. I need new running shoes.

cbabie. Great that you are using Trello each day. It made me giggle thinking about you trying Indian food. It really is good but I always have to ask for the non spicy version. If the waiter says it’s just a little bit spicy that means it’s going to burn my tongue 😛 my kids love it though

TeresaW1020. I don’t like the bike either. Lol. I like a regular bike though. You sound like my dd on the composition books. I don’t even use pen and paper anymore. Woohoo on your loss. Awesome about the 16. I remember when I got down to a 16 (still there) and could shop regular clothes. I hope you’ve given away all your bigger sizes. You’re never going back.

Krupalip. You worked hard to get into that little black dress. Did you buy some nice shoes to go with it. I love shoes. Just keep aiming for that 50.

I slept later than I normally do so didn’t get in my normal exercise routine but later did a 15 min Leslie Sansone tape. I’m counting it as a win.
  • trooworld
    @allisonlane161 congrats on maintaining, way to go!

@cbabie I'm glad you are using your Trello board more. Boo to losing sleep...sleep is so important! lol...my husband would eat half a carton of ice cream too! ;) I'm glad you are finding substitutes.

@TeresaW1020 Yeah, fried foods really do a number on me too, I only had fried foods two of the meals, but I guess that was enough! That is so cool what happened at Dress Barn, woo hoo!!! And yay to sales!!!

@krupalip thanks for the tip on the koftas, as I've never made them before. I think I am making them tonight. The recipe does say not to overcook them, that they are better a little pink on the inside, so I'll be careful. I'll have to be extra careful because I am using 96% lean ground beef and that dries out so quickly. Do you have a favorite recipe for koftas? Good luck with your plans.

@theslightedgeforever I was really mad! I spent $16 on those snacks for ME. The first day I got them, he was like, can I have some of those and I said sure (but I didn't mean: you can have all of them). I'm off early today for a dental appointment, so I can cook the koftas and maybe one other meal hopefully. 15 min Leslie tape is definitely a win!

Hello all. It felt good to eat back on track yesterday. I did have some chocolate but I always have chocolate. The only difference is I had 2 extra pieces. My stomach certainly feels better.
  • cbabie
    Morning! Well yesterday was good except I had ice cream and brownie last night. I felt terrible after I ate it..so that is a good thing. My days in the beginning of the week are so busy, that by the end of the week,I am trying to play catch up. I am reading this book called Sweet Spot and I need to take a recess sometimes. LOL

@trooworld Great job on the tracking and glad your tummy is back to normal!

@krupalip I like what theslightedge said...shoes with the dress...a women can't have enough shoes..LOL You got this, I love your keep going attitude!!

@TeresaW1020 I am so happy for you, it's always amazing that we do not see in us what others see. That's something that is hard for us to see, we keep the "picture" or "words" in our brain...retrain...retrain....

Okay gals, got another busy day planned, but I am ready to tackle it...

Cbabie

• allisonlane161
    Good morning girlies!!! Instead of making Kofta, I bought a Groupon to an Indian restaurant that I love. Maybe next week, lol. And am I the only person who can pigout and overeat watermelon, mango, strawberry and plain yogurt? I really find it hard to believe I stuffed myself last night on that. Carpe diem.
  • krupalip
    Hello,
    @cbabie yes theslightedgeforver makes a very valid point of having good shoes with my black dress, I intend go shopping soon for a pair...I wish I could wear those long pencil heels but I don’t have that kind of patience and they are too cumbersome. Honestly, I am not a big fan of buying new clothes because of my weight, things are either too big or too small (mostly the latter) for me. I am really apprehensive about shopping for clothes since I feel nothing is gonna fit me, so since I have lost weight, I just rehash oversized clothes as they make me feel comfortable, and maybe I guess that’s more familiar

@theslightedgeforver yes shoe shopping is on my list of things to do before I get to the US. Barely 19 days left before I hop on a flight to New York, and I am maybe able to accomplish my weight loss goals, seems very unreal. One of the reasons I started this journey was to look good in my pictures and I hope I do...

@trooworld got inspired by you and made me some chicken kebabs for dinner, here in India we don’t eat beef (religious reasons), we primarily use chicken or lamb mince for our kebabs or koftas. I put in normal Indian spices, turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander seed powder and home made Garam masala, which is like an all-spice powder, we use cilantro and not parsley which adds a lot of flavour. Try and cook the kebabs on a grill and not on a high flame which tends to keep it moist. Hope your dinner turns out yum and the dentist appointment isn’t too painful

My younger daughter turned 2 today, time just flies by doesn’t it, can’t believe it, anyways have a great day everyone, I am off to bed...
  • theslightedgeforever
    Trooworld. I never thought about the 96% ground beef drying out quickly but it makes sense. I’m going have to use both beef and chicken. DH can’t eat beef. I’m tired of always eating chicken. Yaaay for getting back on track.

Cbabie. I finished Sweet Spot. I think. Lol. I’ll have to go back and check.

Allisonlane161. Enjoy the Indian restaurant. I would enjoy the fruit, well maybe not the mango and the yogurt. I don’t know about the stuffed part. I was telling my friend yesterday that other than Thanksgiving I don’t eat til I feel stuffed. One I’m a super slow eater. I tend to graze more than a lot of food at one time. I think my problem is more of a non-movement thing which I’m working on. So the calories I do eat doesn’t go anywhere.

Krupalip Part of the weight loss journey is letting your inner mind catch up with the outside body. You have worked hard. Flaunt it. You might have to shop in the Petites section. I don’t know how tall you are. But you will have fun trying on clothes and saying wow I look good. I’ll have to try cilantro instead of parsley. I like it. Of course now I’m thinking some good naan would be yummy with the hummus. 🤔 I might try and make me some. Happy Birthday to your daughter. That’s a fun age.

Ok that’s it for me. I did some weights today along with some treadmill and walking outside 76 minutes. Met my exercise calorie goal. Went over on food calories by 100. Had some unexpected Karak tea I wasn’t planning on.
  • trooworld
    @cbabie thanks, me too! I'm sorry you had tummy trouble as well. :( Have a good day.

@allisonlane161 Going to a restaurant is much easier than cooking! And eating watermelon, mango, strawberry and plain yogurt sounds yummy.

@krupalip I'm sure you are going to look great in pictures! Thanks for the kofta tips. I didn't make it last night, hubby is going to make it tonight. I will pass along the tips to him. We have a grill pan, maybe he can use that? We don't have a grill. Happy birthday to your younger daughter! :)

@theslightedgeforever Maybe you could try the lamb that krupalip suggests above? I spoke too soon about getting back on track...had boxed mac and cheese for dinner last night. The kitchen was messy and I couldn't cook anything else. I cleaned it after that. Great job on the exercise, it sounds like you are back in the groove!

Hi all. The dentist appt was a painful cleaning but it has inspired me to take better care of my teeth to avoid future painful cleanings. The problem is that I get very tired and then don't want to do my night teeth routine. I've decided to do it right after I eat. Even if I drink something after that, at least the food won't be in there and I can rinse my mouth out before bed, I'll have the energy for that. I'm good about brushing my teeth after I eat at work and of course, in the mornings. It's just at night that is the problem. I'm either tired, or my husband is in the one bathroom that we have, so I need to do my night routine right after I eat that is that.
  • allisonlane161
    edited September 2018
    Good morning. Did I see "shoe shopping"???? :) I'm headed to Thailand and Bali in Oct/Nov and enjoyed buying new hiking shoes and running shoes. My gait has slightly changed after losing all the weight, but still in a neutral shoe. I'm limited on luggage space, so I'll be "renting" a yoga mat when I'm there instead of bringing my own. I never focus on points or calories when I travel, but I plan trips that are physically challenging to compensate, plus they're usually cheaper trips, lol

Krupalip, I remember when my now-20 year old was 2 thinking how fast time went. Now she's 20 and I remember everything about the day I had her and brought her home. She turned out nothing like I expected she would, but she's so much fun and it's pretty neat to see her as a woman and someone I enjoy being friends with. Enjoy your two year old and every year afterward.

Theslightedgeforever, I love this line: "Part of the weight loss journey is letting your inner mind catch up with the outside body." This is truth. This is the reason I still find it unbelievable that I can look good in nearly every picture someone takes. Same reason it is so fun and surprising to try clothes on without the anxiety that used to go with it. My mind still expects to see the old me in pictures and mirrors. There really are a million reasons to lose weight.

Carpe diem!
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    edited September 2018
    Good evening everyone!

@Krupalip, how fun to have a 2-year-old and how challenging! I was talking today to my good friend who is really struggling with her oldest who is 2 1/2. She is feeling so frustrated that she is constantly disciplining him. I tried to encourage her that this phase would end. And then she could look forward to the teenage years. :D How many kids do you have?

@theslightedgeforever, awesome job in meeting your exercise goals. I charged my old iPad thinking I could use it for some YouTube videos on weight lifting with dumbbells. So far I've accomplished the charging of the device. :D I Googled Karak tea and that sounds very tasty. Kind of like Chai, huh? I used to be a huge Chai tea drinker.

@allisonlane161, your travel plans sound fun!! I think you have the right idea about keeping your travel physically challenging and then you don't need to focus on calorie counting.

Well, I've had a long and busy day! The staff meeting this morning gave me a to-do-list a mile long. My pastor is on a two-week vacation to Alaska all by himself and the second in charge is much more task orientated. I told him today that he was making me tired. He just smiled his sweet smile and told me how awesome I was. Hmm, flattery!! :D

Good news is that tomorrow night I'm having dinner and going to see Crazy Rich Asians with my friend. Then on Sunday afternoon, I'm going to see "The King and I" with the girls from my Bible study. The original Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner musical. So excited!! Some of the ladies have never seen it. What a treat this will be. :)
  • theslightedgeforever
    Trooworld. I love lamb but my DH can’t eat any kind of red meats due to a blood disorder. So he gets chicken. Lol. I became anemic after he got diagnosed because I was too lazy to cook two different things. So now I order beef when I go out and cook it once a week in the house. Plus iron pills 3 times a week.

allisonlane161. Interesting on the gait change. How did that occur. Your trip sounds wonderful Yes on the mind versus body. I kind of see you as my future self. Hope you don’t mind. My friend bought a dress on line and I thought how would you know if it fit. Then realized she’s skinny. Everything fits when you are skinny.