September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    9/1 = Walk in Park with dogs and husband instead of running.
    9/2 = 16 miles
    9/3 = 5 mile walk with dog
    9/4 = rest day
    9/5 = 12 miles
    9/6 = 5 mile hike with dog
    9/7 = 16 miles
    9/8 = rest day
    9/9 = 7 miles
    9/10 = 5 miles
    9/11 = rest day
    9/12 = 12 miles
    9/13 = 3 miles
    9/14 = 11 miles
    9/15 = rest day
    9/16 = 16 miles

September goal miles = 175 / 98 miles-to-date

Upcoming Races:
    10/27 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/22 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    1/26/19 = Miami Tropical 5K
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon
    3/10/19 = ZOOMA half (potentially)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    So, can you wash running shoes in a washing machine? Will they fall apart if washed on a delicate cycle? It is still a hot, humid, nasty mess in Texas and my shoes are currently a bio-hazard. My husband is making me store them on the back porch - LOL. While part of me wants to use this excuse to by new ones, my checkbook is disagreeing with me.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    C25K W4 D3: 1.96 miles (treadmill)

MTD: 11.65 / 25

I had a stressful couple of weeks; which affected my sleep. I skipped my run on Thursday. Managed to get back to it today.

So, I had an itch on my mid-back that felt like a scab and stung in the shower. I couldn’t get a good look at it and forgot about it for a day or two. We started swimming lessons last week, when I remembered to ask my husband to take a look. Once he saw it, he told me it was a mole that has changed, and I should definitely go get it checked. I couldn’t get in to see my doctor for a week and called a dermatologist instead. She suggested I go to a walk-in clinic to get a referral sent to them.

The walk-in doc immediately said, “Let’s do a biopsy; I hate paperwork.” I waited anxiously for ten days, knowing it likely wasn’t good that the results were taking so long.

The biopsy tested positive for melanoma. Next, a plastic surgeon will do an excision on the 26th.

I am trying to stay positive and hope it was caught early. Thank goodness for that walk-in doc getting things going so quickly.

And, we have a family vacation planned to Hawaii in December that I have no idea what to do about. I have until early next month to cancel our accommodations and receive a refund. I ruined our last planned family vacation in 2014 by getting a heart virus literally the day before we were to leave. My son is 21 and this was to be our second family holiday. Do I hope for the best and leave it? Can I enjoy a sunny destination with plenty of sunscreen and clothing? Do I play it safe? I don't know who to ask. I don't know how long it will be until I get to see a dermatologist.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I don't have any extended family or parents to tell, so I took advantage of you all as a captive audience. I could use whatever healing energy and positive thoughts or advice/experience you can send my way.

I had one come back positive (dysplastic nevi) on my thigh that was burned when i was a kid on a dirt bike. I never went through with the surgery, only the removal. I asked for my pathology report to take to a second doc and havent hear anything. Its been months. @HonuNui is probably our melanoma guru.

We're going to Hawaii in January 4-11. Maybe we could catch each other if you reschedule? I think you'd be okay with sunscreen, but im no authority. Hope ypur family trip isnt cancelled and the melanoma is easily treated.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    So, can you wash running shoes in a washing machine? Will they fall apart if washed on a delicate cycle? It is still a hot, humid, nasty mess in Texas and my shoes are currently a bio-hazard. My husband is making me store them on the back porch - LOL. While part of me wants to use this excuse to by new ones, my checkbook is disagreeing with me.

I wash mine. But id definitely pick a cool wash. Ive had a pair shrink where they were no longer fit for running, or my feet grew.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    C25K W4 D3: 1.96 miles (treadmill)

MTD: 11.65 / 25

I had a stressful couple of weeks; which affected my sleep. I skipped my run on Thursday. Managed to get back to it today.

So, I had an itch on my mid-back that felt like a scab and stung in the shower. I couldn’t get a good look at it and forgot about it for a day or two. We started swimming lessons last week, when I remembered to ask my husband to take a look. Once he saw it, he told me it was a mole that has changed, and I should definitely go get it checked. I couldn’t get in to see my doctor for a week and called a dermatologist instead. She suggested I go to a walk-in clinic to get a referral sent to them.

The walk-in doc immediately said, “Let’s do a biopsy; I hate paperwork.” I waited anxiously for ten days, knowing it likely wasn’t good that the results were taking so long.

The biopsy tested positive for melanoma. Next, a plastic surgeon will do an excision on the 26th.

I am trying to stay positive and hope it was caught early. Thank goodness for that walk-in doc getting things going so quickly.

And, we have a family vacation planned to Hawaii in December that I have no idea what to do about. I have until early next month to cancel our accommodations and receive a refund. I ruined our last planned family vacation in 2014 by getting a heart virus literally the day before we were to leave. My son is 21 and this was to be our second family holiday. Do I hope for the best and leave it? Can I enjoy a sunny destination with plenty of sunscreen and clothing? Do I play it safe? I don't know who to ask. I don't know how long it will be until I get to see a dermatologist.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I don't have any extended family or parents to tell, so I took advantage of you all as a captive audience. I could use whatever healing energy and positive thoughts or advice/experience you can send my way.

I had one come back positive on my thigh that was burned when i was a kid on a dirt bike. I never went through with the surgery, only the removal. I asked for my pathology report to take to a second doc and havent hear anything. Its been months. @HonuNui is probably our melanoma guru.

We're going to Hawaii in January 4-11. Maybe we could catch each other if you reschedule? I think you'd be okay with sunscreen, but im no authority. Hope ypur family trip isnt cancelled and the melanoma is easily treated.

And those shirts with uv protection? Maybe that would help as well?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Hugs to you. I think you need a lot more info before you worry about whether or not to cancel your trip to Hawaii. You may only need to have the excision and then I can't see why you can't go on your trip (with proper precautions, especially about keeping the scar covered, and general sun safety). Here's a link from WebMD about sun safety after skin cancer. If you need more extensive treatment based on the staging, that is probably when you'll want to evaluate your health and the trip. Best wishes to you for an easy treatment outcome.

Congrats to @AlphaHowls on your AG place!
    And to @rheddmobile and your husband - great race!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun no advice, just sending you a big gentle hug.

And Id keep your holiday plans. All going well, It would be disappointing to cancel for no reason.