WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2018

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    :heart:
  • bizygal
    bizygal Posts: 4 Member
    I’m joining this group to help me stay on track. I exercise almost every day but need to track what I eat. So, that’s my goal for the rest of September. Just track it!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    Pip I gave you the "Woo". >:)>:)>:)

Is that good or bad
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    Margaret - I forgot to comment on your monarch butterfly! <3 Have you hatched one before? I recall finding a chrysalis when I was a kid in Northern Indiana and there were plenty of monarchs. Fireflies too! And zinnia is one of my favorite flowers! Thank you for sharing!

Rye - thank you for checking about intermittent fasting for folks over 70 and your weight lifting strategy. I did find a fairly good website for all over senior health and fitness: https://www.silversneakers.com/blog/ I checked Mosley and couldn't find anything directly addressing an age where fasting shouldn't be done. Here's one of his his websites: https://thebloodsugardiet.com I plugged in age 75 just for kicks which said I could use the 5:2 fasting mimicking approach (5 days regular eating via Mediterranean guidelines, 2 days non consecutive eating reduced calories). Perhaps a 5 day water fast would be too stressful for an older person though, or eating restricted calories for weeks or months.

Meg - sorry to hear about your FIL. Hope your DH is doing OK with the news.

KJ - what?? You took the munchkins on a 4 1/2 mile walk? Did they nap for hours then? I feel like a wimp now, lol.

Marcelyn - I also remember you teaching your granddaughters how to sew. You are a gal with many skills - hope you'll pop in more often!

Allie - glad to hear about offers on the house. The sooner it's wrapped up the better. And good luck with the blood tests. Tony Bennett? WOW!! He's not quite Elvis but he'll do, lol. Seriously, he'll be great. Yes, go it alone if no one wants to go along, bet you'll have a great time.

Wizzywig
    - your sweet dog sounds like so much fun. Pip will be glad to give you the boot I'm sure if you need a kickstart, lol. That right there keeps me in line. B)

Have a great Thursday ladies!

Lanette
    Still dark in SW WA State
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    KJ (Kelly)

Karen VA- Love the pictures of the babes. So...Olivia is the one with baby brother Phoenix? Do you also have a Mia? I know Janet has a Mia...

Karen in VA and I have an Olivia in common. I have a four year old granddaughter, Olivia. My great -granddaughter Mia, and Karen's Olivia are very close in age, as are her Phoenix and my Layla.

Lots of beautiful babies here on our thread. Love all the pictures

Janetr OKC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    :) What helped me with decluttering was to read a lot on the subject so I would be encouraged and inspired. The Minimalists have a weekly podcast and an almost daily video on YouTube.. There are many blogs and books about minimalism and decluttering and similar subjects. Just like it helps us to stay on the healthy path by reading this thread and books about health, it will help anyone who wants to get rid of stuff to read inspirational stuff on that subject.
  • jazzypdx
    jazzypdx Posts: 178 Member
    Welcome newbies and hello inspiring friends. Hugs to all and may many blessings find you. I'm still waiting for an answer on the new job, stress eating almost out of control but with lots of fresh fruit and veggies available carbs/sugar are taking the hit. Florence shut down the HR division...delays delays Argh. I had hoped to be training by now. I'm safe in my home with all that I need - food, water, transportation, no troubles - need to buck up and quit stressing.Prayers for all of those dealing with serious issues.
    We have had sunny skies again for a few days - sitting in the garden letting the crisp air clear my head.

F/ 57/ 5'6" Start 7/1 @ 187
    9/19. @180.2

Goals -make better choices, keep busy and stay present ~ jazzypdx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Alison ~ You must have the best friends. Tickets to a concert and hotel stay and dinner out. I am sure it is because you have been there so many times for them and you deserve it. :)
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    M ~ I think a lot of us are always waiting for the other boot to drop.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,780 Member
    Marcelyn--I remember you. Welcome back.

Allie--saying a prayer the sale on the house works out quick and best for everyone.

NYKaren--That's how I try and do our mail most the time and it does help.
    I am taking tomorrow off as I am helping DH put on a benefit for a dear friend that is stage 4 pancreatic cancer on Saturday. Have last minute things I need to get done and then starting Monday I work 7 days in a row. I did do a interview yesterday and have one this afternoon, so hoping to get someone hired soon and start training, then can get back to 40 hours a week.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Catelyn324: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Lanette: We also seldom have guests in our home other than relatives or the housecleaners. I don’t think of us as antisocial, but we certainly aren’t entertainers. One friend is housebound due to serious lung problems caused by a lifetime of smoking, and I stop in to see her now and then. We used to walk together, but she isn’t able to do that anymore. I seem to have interest-based friendships. I have horse friends that I see at the stable and yoga friends at the gym. At the moment I am in my office looking at all the dog hair dust bunnies in the hallway. I wouldn’t want to invite anyone over this morning. :embarrassed:

Marcelyn: Welcome back! :star:

Allie: You have good hearted and generous friends, probably because you are good hearted and generous, yourself. Great news that you have multiple offers on your Dad’s place. :flowerforyou:

Sharon: I hope you enjoy your time at Great Wolf Lodge. :smiley:

Lisa: I hope your trip home is safe and easy. :star:

Wizzywig: So great to see you again!!!! :bigsmile;

Bizygal: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Jazzypdx: You seem to be doing a great job. Your photos are wonderful. I especially like the flowers and pots along the fence. Congrats on the loss! :smiley:

DH has a challenge caused by the sale of DD’s home in CO. The state of CO wants him to pay taxes on the proceeds of the sale because his name was included on the title. Any advice on how to deal with it? Our lawyer recommended that we hire a CO lawyer to address this. The proceeds of the CO sale have already been used to buy the Illinois farm.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    I know I am pretty darn lucky aren't I.....well when you are kind to people,most people are kind back ...
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,724 Member
    <3
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Good day Ladies -

I had my annual well-woman checkup today. The Dr was very pleased with my weight, activity level and blood panels. She gave me three gold stars :smile: . She told me to keep doing what I'm doing, it is obviously working.

I think I'll go color my roots before the hub gets home from work. We are going to the fair tomorrow to see a friend of his during the day and then a friend of mine is joining us in the evening. We will stay overnight, its about 2 hours from us. We might meet friends for lunch (about 3 hours the other direction) on Sunday, waiting to find out on that one for sure. Busy weekend of driving to and fro....well, riding to and fro for me.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Love you Heather xoxo....
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Margaret - I forgot to comment on your monarch butterfly! <3 Have you hatched one before? I recall finding a chrysalis when I was a kid in Northern Indiana and there were plenty of monarchs. Fireflies too! And zinnia is one of my favorite flowers! Thank you for sharing!

Rye - thank you for checking about intermittent fasting for folks over 70 and your weight lifting strategy. I did find a fairly good website for all over senior health and fitness: https://www.silversneakers.com/blog/ I checked Mosley and couldn't find anything directly addressing an age where fasting shouldn't be done. Here's one of his his websites: https://thebloodsugardiet.com I plugged in age 75 just for kicks which said I could use the 5:2 fasting mimicking approach (5 days regular eating via Mediterranean guidelines, 2 days non consecutive eating reduced calories). Perhaps a 5 day water fast would be too stressful for an older person though, or eating restricted calories for weeks or months.

KJ - what?? You took the munchkins on a 4 1/2 mile walk? Did they nap for hours then? I feel like a wimp now, lol.

Marcelyn - I also remember you teaching your granddaughters how to sew. You are a gal with many skills - hope you'll pop in more often!

Allie - glad to hear about offers on the house. The sooner it's wrapped up the better. And good luck with the blood tests. Tony Bennett? WOW!! He's not quite Elvis but he'll do, lol. Seriously, he'll be great. Yes, go it alone if no one wants to go along, bet you'll have a great time.

Wizzywig
    - your sweet dog sounds like so much fun. Pip will be glad to give you the boot I'm sure if you need a kickstart, lol. That right there keeps me in line. B)

Lanette
    lhscapil wrote: »

Wizzywig

Lanette

:::: strapping on the boot::: ok, who needs it???
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Much love, Heather, and oodles of sympathy. Glad you have a support system in your DH.

Sitting in the El Paso airport writing a grant (can't you tell?) End-of-summer rainstorm, and they're chicken littling all over the place, so my ride got me here two hours early. There are worse things, and they have nice workstations, although the cootie load has to be stratospheric. :dizzy:

So... I'll at least get a good beginning on my grant, and hopefully home by midnight.

Glad to be out of that office.

Long story. Boring even to me.

But I won't be back there for a while, at least a month, if not more.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in El Paso for (hopefully) just a few more hours